Anyone else tired of this whole "we are a country of 2nd chances" mantra re:athletes?

NFLs StepChild

He stole a million dollars from a dying man.

That's pretty ****ed up.

Did he?

Lookee here

In addition, two league officials said Belichick received a $1 million bonus from the Jets this off season. Those officials believe the bonus was given so that he would not leave the organization.

But Belichick probably will not be going anywhere. One reason is that Belichick would most likely be given the same amount of control that the owner, Leon Hess, has given Parcells. That is an attractive reason to stay.

Belichick received a 1 mil bonus not only for the 1999 season but on the premise that Parcells would leave and Belichick would assume complete control like Parcells had.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/02/sports/pro-football-notebook-belichick-refusals-signal-jet-future.html

Hess breached the agreement by letting Parcells stay on and lord over Belichick.

Belichick owes Hess nothing becuase part of the money was earned during the 1999 season and Hess didnt give him total control.

Edited by PatriotReign37

I still need someone to actually explain how he stole it. He was the HC of the NYJ - granted it was only for a day - but hey, sh*t happens. I know someone that took a new job - got a signing bonus - and ended up quiting 5 weeks later because they hated the place. There was no stipulaion with the signing bonus. So, the person kept it. Is it the right thing to do? Probably not - but since corporations don't blink twice about laying people off - eh, screw 'em. It's like the poster who says that it's not all Stallworths fault - the deceased was jaywalking afterall! So, take that a step further. Hess gave BB a signing bonus without any time contraints/stipulation. So, Hess is as much to blame. ;) Is what BB did a nice thing? Nope. Is it stealing? I don't think so.

Ironic that you defend the cheater.

Imagine if he was the HC of the NYJ right now. You guys would have 3 Super Bowl titles and would be the team of the decade.

Just imagine...............

And it would have been ill gotten and tarnished. Thanks but no thanks.

I said it openly before that I was jealous of Belly and the Patsies. That POV did a 180 when I found out you were cheating. What's worse, losing or winning and then finding out it wasn't on the level.

Now please hit me up with your bs rhetoric about "gamesmanship" and everyone else doing it too and whatever other BS lines you have been fed to try and justify cheating.

Nope. I'd rather win clean. I'll be so disappointed if we ever win and it comes out that it wasn't legitimate. I'll be thrilled with 1 clean SB to your 3 asterisks.

And team of the decade? HA!!! Steelers are because they won 2x clean to your 3+ dirty seasons. There is winning with class, and then there is the Patriot way. If the Jets ever get to the point of needing to cheat to win, I'll drop them guaranteed and just go be a full time college fan.

And it would have been ill gotten and tarnished. Thanks but no thanks.

I said it openly before that I was jealous of Belly and the Patsies. That POV did a 180 when I found out you were cheating. What's worse, losing or winning and then finding out it wasn't on the level.

Now please hit me up with your bs rhetoric about "gamesmanship" and everyone else doing it too and whatever other BS lines you have been fed to try and justify cheating.

Nope. I'd rather win clean. I'll be so disappointed if we ever win and it comes out that it wasn't legitimate. I'll be thrilled with 1 clean SB to your 3 asterisks.

And team of the decade? HA!!! Steelers are because they won 2x clean to your 3+ dirty seasons. There is winning with class, and then there is the Patriot way. If the Jets ever get to the point of needing to cheat to win, I'll drop them guaranteed and just go be a full time college fan.

Whatever makes you sleep at night :rolleyes:

I can see the D-Coordinator sending in his signals from my seat at Gillette Stadium. So can the other 68,000 people in the Stadium.

If I was a D-Coordinator I would change my signs every game. Doesn't matter now as the calls go to a helmet.

The Steelers? Are you serious?

I think when its all said and done, we will find out that Mangini had his own little taping program going on at the Jets and he spied plenty on Belichick. From places off limits and maybe even won a game or two vs NE.

But Belichick knowing this didnt go running to Roger Gooodell. Nope, he handled the matter in house and illegally taped in the Meadowlands after the Goodell memo.

Something prompted Belichick to ignore the memo and tape otherwise.

I think when its all said and done, we will find out that Mangini had his own little taping program going on at the Jets and he spied plenty on Belichick. From places off limits and maybe even won a game or two vs NE.

But Belichick knowing this didnt go running to Roger Gooodell. Nope, he handled the matter in house and illegally taped in the Meadowlands after the Goodell memo.

Is this a ****ing joke?

I think the cheating and the taping **** is blown out of proportion, but to sit here and rationalize Belichick's cheating (caught, convicted and punished) by some imagined cheating by Mangini (complete insane conjecture on your part) is a new one. Belichick handled the matter in house in response to Mangini? Mangini learned everything he knew from Belichick. If Mangini was taping Belichick was certainly taping first.

Can't handle the fact that the Jets beat NE a couple of times? It's made you completely irrational.

Edited by #27TheDominator

Imagine if he was the HC of the NYJ right now. You guys would have 3 Super Bowl titles and would be the team of the decade.

Just imagine...............

Many of us (myself included) would be outright disgusted with the cheating, and that the SB titles are tarnished (although we would still have one title that was untarnished), whereas you Pats fans think that the cheating is no big deal or have even condoned it. That's pretty sad.

Vick, Burress, Marshall, Kobe, Bellicheck, Stallworth... and these are just the scumbags we covered today.

Seems we are always willing to give some POS another chance because they have talent, instead of shutting down their career to send a message to the incoming POS(pl) to straighten up, understand what kind of opportunity they have ahead of them and not allow for a league to be overrun with scumbags, cheaters and criminals. Sure you have to allow for a certain degree of tolerance, lets say a guy gets falsely accused or whatever... but enough is enough.

2nd chance to be reinstated into society? Ok. Allowed back in the game they damaged. No.

Game they damaged? Really? Something completely unsports related (except for bellicheat) damaged football? Vick, Burress and Stallworth didnt harm this game not a bit. This game is built off guys like them. But when these players get in trouble us "Fans" front like if their talent isnt what we were paying for in the first place.

These people got into trouble with the law...period. Burress didnt shoot Eli in his face on the field. THAT would be doing damage to football and a family. He shot his stupid ass self in a nightclub.

Kobe didnt rape Phil Jackson. He raped his marriage, but his wife forgave him....but us fans want to talk about it for years. Its funny when you think about that statement. However, at the same time, Kobe got the NBA 4 championships, a **** load of jerseys sold, marketing etc. He's done much more benefit than damage to the NBA.

Vick did a dumbass move and he went to Jail. How did he damage football? Last thing I heard Atlanta went to the playoffs, found a young QB that can actually QB and the NFL still hosted a superbowl.

Where's the damage? You want to talk about damage? Lets talk about it. Bill Belicheat and NE got championship after championship by cheating the game. THAT IS DAMAGE TO FOOTBALL.

Stallworth, killed a guy because he was too egotistical to just be driven home. Thats f'd up. The family settled for "Money". I will never know how money can fix a persons "feelings" for a lost loved one but somehow this family must have figured it out. If this family really wanted "Justice" over money they would have pushed this trial until he got 25 to life....but they took the money. How did he damage football. If anything, he did more for football while damaging his own life/rep at the same time.

You cant be serious.

Edited by villain_the_foe
  • Upvote 1

Game they damaged? Really? Something completely unsports related (except for bellicheat) damaged football? Vick, Burress and Stallworth didnt harm this game not a bit. This game is built off guys like them. But when these players get in trouble us "Fans" front like if their talent isnt what we were paying for in the first place.

These people got into trouble with the law...period. Burress didnt shoot Eli in his face on the field. THAT would be doing damage to football and a family. He shot his stupid ass self in a nightclub.

Kobe didnt rape Phil Jackson. He raped his marriage, but his wife forgave him....but us fans want to talk about it for years. Its funny when you think about that statement. However, at the same time, Kobe got the NBA 4 championships, a **** load of jerseys sold, marketing etc. He's done much more benefit than damage to the NBA.

Vick did a dumbass move and he went to Jail. How did he damage football? Last thing I heard Atlanta went to the playoffs, found a young QB that can actually QB and the NFL still hosted a superbowl.

Where's the damage? You want to talk about damage? Lets talk about it. Bill Belicheat and NE got championship after championship by cheating the game. THAT IS DAMAGE TO FOOTBALL.

Stallworth, killed a guy because he was too egotistical to just be driven home. Thats f'd up. The family settled for "Money". I will never know how money can fix a persons "feelings" for a lost loved one but some how this family must have figured it out. Anyway, because the Judges job is to come to a conclusion with a dispute this just so happened to be the outcome. How did he damage football. If anything, he did more for football while damaging his own life/rep at the same time.

You cant be serious.

+1

You're all assumption. Belicheat was caught. Not only was he caught but other teams came out and even stated the same situation with New England (Green Bay, St Louis etc.). You're trying to make it seem like it was a tic-for-tac when it wasnt. Mangini blew it up. Never did anyone say or make reference to the Jets doing the same.

You're being a typical Pats fan. They cheated. Just know that.

Stallworth, killed a guy because he was too egotistical to just be driven home. Thats f'd up. The family settled for "Money". I will never know how money can fix a persons "feelings" for a lost loved one but somehow this family must have figured it out. If this family really wanted "Justice" over money they would have pushed this trial until he got 25 to life....but they took the money. How did he damage football. If anything, he did more for football while damaging his own life/rep at the same time.

You cant be serious.

Agree with most of what you said, especially about the cheater. But as far as Vick - he did do some damage. There was outrage at the time and threats of boycotts, etc. and the NFL's image took a hit. The NFL protects it's image at all costs, so I would say that did some damage. If Vick is reinstated, I'm sure there will be a lot of the same including lost revenues. It may not have a huge impact, but there will be some lost revenues and a PR and image hit.

As far as the 25 to life - Stallworth would not have faced this kind of sentence. The most he could have been charged with is 2nd degree murder and in most states thats a 15-25 year range. If I'm not mistaken, he was charged with Manslaughter. That may be why the family settled, knowing that he wouldn't receive a long sentence.

You're all assumption. Belicheat was caught. Not only was he caught but other teams came out and even stated the same situation with New England (Green Bay, St Louis etc.). You're trying to make it seem like it was a tic-for-tac when it wasnt. Mangini blew it up. Never did anyone say or make reference to the Jets doing the same.

You're being a typical Pats fan. They cheated. Just know that.

Exactly. Unfortunately we'll never know the true extent of his cheating since commissioner Badall suppressed evidence to protect the reputation and image of the league.

I look at it this way - If you caught your spouse cheating on you, would you look at your spouse the same way? Would you suspect that they've cheated on you in the past? Would you feel that you're marriage is now and has been tarnished?

Agree with most of what you said, especially about the cheater. But as far as Vick - he did do some damage. There was outrage at the time and threats of boycotts, etc. and the NFL's image took a hit. The NFL protects it's image at all costs, so I would say that did some damage. If Vick is reinstated, I'm sure there will be a lot of the same including lost revenues. It may not have a huge impact, but there will be some lost revenues and a PR and image hit.

As far as the 25 to life - Stallworth would not have faced this kind of sentence. The most he could have been charged with is 2nd degree murder and in most states thats a 15-25 year range. If I'm not mistaken, he was charged with Manslaughter. That may be why the family settled, knowing that he wouldn't receive a long sentence.

I understand what you're saying. My point however isnt his "sentence" thats irrelevant. Im talking about how money has been the play in many situations. They didnt "Know" that he wasnt going to get a long sentence. They decided to settle because thats what they did...settle. The NFL took a hit to an image that they can never and will never be able to uphold as long as the ones that are upholding this image are not the ones on the field. People have different agendas. Michael Vick didnt get into the NFL because he wanted to be a model citizen...and NFL doesnt sign his checks because he's a model citizen. Its because he throws like farve and runs like Dunn, bottomline.

When are we going to get to the real issue of things if we're going to have serious talks like this. What they are suspending him for is for an image that they themselves have NEVER been able to uphold. How do you uphold this non-violent image when you do nothing but display violence in every game? People have gotten paralyzed, and even died on a football field. The most we'll say is "get better helmets". A player does something and all of a sudden we run to the organizations side and want to point the finger.

No disrespect to you, but I find that f#cking wack.

Exactly. Unfortunately we'll never know the true extent of his cheating since commissioner Badall suppressed evidence to protect the reputation and image of the league.

I look at it this way - If you caught your spouse cheating on you, would you look at your spouse the same way? Would you suspect that they've cheated on you in the past? Would you feel that you're marriage is now and has been tarnished?

BILLO! you just proved my point! We can suspend Stallworth for his retardedness, but the NFL can supress their bad doings to keep the "Image" squeeky clean. Organizations are no different from people...except for the fact that when its a multi billion dollar industry you can supress evidence and keep your image squeeky clean...without a court appearance.

Oh, and keep in mind that not only was this a direct attack on the image they're trying to portray, but it also messes with the integrity of the sport itself which is the most damaging.

Could anyone tell me how Vick or Stallworth did this type of damage?

Edited by villain_the_foe