Early 2005 NFLPredictions

Jetsfan80

Out of boredom, here's how I see the season playing out. I will stick by these, because last season, my gut told me a Falcons-Colts Super Bowl, and I came pretty darn close to that, certainly closer than any other subsequent predictions I made:

AFC East:

1) New England Patriots (13-3): While I see a split between the Jets and Patriots this season, the Pats still are the rightful leader of this strong division.

2) New York Jets (11-5): The Jets come into the '05 season with a more experienced defensive unit and a potentially much improved offense.

3) Buffalo Bills (7-9): If Drew Bledsoe was the problem, is the answer 23-year old J.P. Losman, who was drafted out of Tulane by the Bills in the 1st round of the 2004 draft? That remains to be seen.

4) Miami Dolphins (5-11): A new coaching staff featuring Nick Saban and Scott Linehan may have what it takes to rebuild this once-strong Miami franchise, but that day is not today.

AFC North:

1) Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4): While the Steelers may not dominate the AFC North like they did last season, going 5-1 within the division and 15-1 overall, they still are the top dog. With Jerome Bettis back, the Steeler power running game will remain intact, and Ben Roethlisberger can continue to grow while being surrounded by a great team.

2) Cincinnati Bengals (10-6): Marvin Lewis is finally ready to attach the term ''winners'' to the Bengals, something they have not been since winning an AFC Championship some 18 years ago.

3) Baltimore Ravens ( 8-8 ): The aura of the 2000 Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens is gone. This is not the same dominant defense it used to be, though LB Terrell Suggs is proving to be a true playmaker.

4) Cleveland Browns (5-11): Romeo Crennell has a lot of work to do, and it begins with deciding between newcomer Trent Dilfer and Luke McCown as the starting QB for Cleveland in 2005. The next step? Patching up a defense that has been simply run over by a division with bruising RB's for the last 3 seasons.

AFC South:

1) Indianapolis Colts (11-5): While cap problems will make things tough for Indy in the near future, Peyton Manning remains the constant that will keep the Colts at the top of the AFC South once again.

2) Jacksonville Jaguars (9-7): After just missing the playoffs in 2004, this has to be Jacksonville's year, right? Nope.

3) Houston Texans ( 8-8 ): Secondary has been a strength for the Texans since franchise begun in '01, and that trend continue with the emergence of Dunta Robinson as a highly athletic, playmaking corner to complement Aaron Glenn. However, it will take more than that to keep up in the AFC South, and though they have been threatening to be a breakout team, it just hasn't happened yet.

4) Tennessee Titans (3-13): Things just aren't looking good for a team that's 6 years removed from the Super Bowl. With Derrick Mason, Samari Rolle, Kevin Carter, and possibly Steve McNair om the way out, there's just no reason to believe this depleted team will have a shot next season.

AFC West:

1) San Diego Chargers (11-5): Another team repeating as division champs? With the Chargers keeping Drew Brees and Antonio Gates on and in great cap shape, why not?

2) Oakland Raiders (9-7): Randy Moss and LaMont Jordan bring a lot to the table for Norv Turner's offense, but with Charles Woodson probably on the way out, the defense has many gaping holes.

3) Denver Broncos (7-9): While the Clinton Portis deal probably worked out for the best, Champ Bailey didn't exactly live up to his end of the bargain, as the Bronco defense once again got blown out by the Manning-led Colts in the playoffs. With a tough offseason already beginning, it will be an even more dismal year in '05 for Denver.

4) Kansas City Chiefs (5-11): Priest Holmes is already in the middle of a downward spiral, and this aging Cheif offense simply cannot keep up with a defense is going nowhere fast.

NFC East:

1) Philadelphia Eagles (12-4): Until someone knocks them off, the Eagles still remain the dominant team in the NFC East. Nothing changes in 2005.

2) Dallas Cowboys ( 8-8 ): Bill Parcells will at least find a way to make the Cowboys respectable, though it will only be under the helm of Drew Henson, NOT Drew Bledsoe.

3) New York Giants (7-9): With the Warner-Manning experiment deemed a failure, Eli starts his first season and makes the most of it; but fails to make the postseason.

4) Washington Redskins (5-11): As long as Mark Brunell is the starter and Dan Snyder keeps trying to surround him with overrated talent, Joe Gibbs' offense will be a failure.

NFC North:

1) Chicago Bears (9-7): The BEARS? Yep, you heard right. Lovie Smith's first goal as Chicago's head coach was to beat Green Bay. Mission accomplished. Now, he takes Chicago to even greater heights, even with Chad Hutchinson and Rex Grossman being the competition at QB.

2) Minnesota Vikings (9-7): Life without Randy may be pretty good, in time. However, even Napoleon Harris and Pat Williams may not be able to save this awful defense.

3) Green Bay Packers (7-9): With or without Brett Favre, the Packers will plummett. Without maulers Mark Wahle and Marco Rivera, so will Ahman Green's production.

4) Detroit Lions (6-10): If Mike McMahon remains in Detroit, look for him to be starting for them by midseason over Joey Harrington. Sorry, Detroit, no home Super Bowl for the Lions.

NFC South:

1) Carolina Panthers (10-6): After starting 1-7 in 2004, the Panthers, despite being riddled with injuries, showed tremendous heart and made it to week 17 before being eliminated. This season, 2003's NFC Champs will have the chance to take back that title.

2) Atlanta Falcons (9-7): Jim Mora Jr. is the real deal, and the Falcon D is back on track. However, if they want to make the playoffs this season, the West Coast Offense must be dumped.

3) Tampa Bay Buccaneers ( 8-8 ): Brad Johnson is officialy gone, meaning the race is on to be the starter in Tampa Bay this season. Regardless of the winner, however, the Bucs are still a .500 team.

4) New Orleans Saints (6-10): It seemed like, at times last season, Aaron Brooks was trying to get Jim Haslett to lose his job, This season, he better be careful, because he just might lose his.

NFC West:

1) Arizona Cardinals (10-6): Save the jokes. Somebody has to win the division, and why not the Cardinals? If Dennis Green simply sticks with ''his guy'' at QB, whether it be Josh McCown or Kurt Warner, this team is good enough to finally be a contender.

2) St. Louis Rams (9-7): Mike Martz's days may be numbered if the Rams find themselves out of the playoffs this season, which is very possible given their lack of wiggle room with the salary cap this season.

3) Seattle Seahawks ( 8-8 ): Sure, the Seahawks will be bringing back Hasselbeck, Walter Jones, and even maybe Shaun Alexander. But where's the D?

4) San Francisco 49ers (5-11): If the Niners, with the # 1 pick in the draft, choose a franchise QB, this will mark the beginning of the rebuilding era for this once proud franchise.

Playoffs:

Jets over Chargers

Bengals over Colts

Falcons over Cardinals

Rams over Bears

Patriots over Steelers

Jets over Bengals

Panthers over Rams

Eagles over Falcons

Jets over Patriots

Panthers over Eagles

Super Bowl XL: Jets 28, Panthers 20

Great job and awsome sig.

The only ones I really didn't like was Dallas, and Wash. I think both will have better years than you have them down for. The wildcard team that I just can't get my finger on is the Texans. I can see them making a huge leap this year. But I can also see them staying the same like you have them basically doing.

Pretty good assessment. Until you get to the AFC Championship game. You expect Brady and Belichick's first postseason loss to be too the Jets.

One note, I could see KC go 5-11, but I think they are due for a heaven or hell. They are gearing up for Vermeil's swan song and I weould expect more out of them. However, they are kind of soft and would not be surprised if they struggled at first and then imploded.

Pretty good assessment. Until you get to the AFC Championship game. You expect Brady and Belichick's first postseason loss to be too the Jets.

In all honesty, I know that the Patriots are the better team, and that, realistically, no one is going to get in the way of New England winning yet another AFC Championship. However, as they say, you just can't pick against your own team. And besides, I truly can't see any other team in the AFC in better position to be the team to knock off the Patriots. The Colts are too light on defense, the Steelers can't do much better than they did last year, and the whole AFC West is simply too weak.

Archived