Brooks Bollinger Drafted By...

http://www.ufl-football.com/press/2009/06/19/_premiere_season_draft

The Orlando ??? of the UFL! Not only was he drafted, but he was the 5th overall selection!

Go Bollywood! :)

From PFT:

Names that caught our eye include Adam Archuleta, Wendell Bryant, David Kircus (they spelled his name wrong on the UFL web site — hopefully that kind of thing doesn’t piss him off, since you wouldn’t like him when he’s upset), Gary Stills, Cecil Sapp, LaBrandon Toefield, Brooks Bollinger, Mike Doss, Rien Long, Rob Petitti, Bo Schobel, Jermaine Wiggins, Quincy Wilson, Obafemi Ayanbadejo, Marcus Fitzgerald (Larry’s brother), and John David Washington (Denzel’s son).

Funny thing is apparently the Orlando HC is Jim Haslett and as you all may or may not remember, one of Bollywood's starts for the Jets back in 2005 was against Haslett's Saints. I guess he liked what he saw. Go figure. :P

Precisely why Haslett can't get a job in the NFL.

I retrospect, why did we ever draft Brooksie? Weak arm, small size, average to poor decision making skills. Was the selection based on his ability to scramble a little? What a joke.

He wasn't a bad QB in college (went to Wisc.). He was accurate, and he could scramble. He had a weak arm, but I think that the FO thought that Chad could possible groom him into a good backup type. He was a 6th round pick, and those are the types of players you get in those rounds.

He wasn't a bad pick, and not many 6th round QBs even see the field. I wish him the best of luck and maybe I'll even try to catch a UFL game.

He wasn't a bad QB in college (went to Wisc.). He was accurate, and he could scramble. He had a weak arm, but I think that the FO thought that Chad could possible groom him into a good backup type. He was a 6th round pick, and those are the types of players you get in those rounds.

He wasn't a bad pick, and not many 6th round QBs even see the field. I wish him the best of luck and maybe I'll even try to catch a UFL game.

He was a TERRIBLE pick! He didn't have a weak arm, he had NO arm. WIS would pull him in obvious passing situations because he couldn't throw the ball. He ran an exclusive option offense with almost zero passing plays. All he could do was run, and he was way too small and slow to do it effectively in the NFL. If we didn't draft him he likely wouldn't have even made a practice squad.

That's what I'm saying, JB. Why take him at all, especially with his weak arm? Weren't we better off picking another defender or offensive lineman? I just hate when we invest all that time in someone that we know is not an NFL caliber talent. I know you get surprises from time to time--like Wayne Chrebet--but it doesn't happen that frequently.

He was a TERRIBLE pick! He didn't have a weak arm, he had NO arm. WIS would pull him in obvious passing situations because he couldn't throw the ball. He ran an exclusive option offense with almost zero passing plays. All he could do was run, and he was way too small and slow to do it effectively in the NFL. If we didn't draft him he likely wouldn't have even made a practice squad.

No, he really wasn't.

At the time, he was the winningest and most experienced active quarterback in the Big Ten.

From Scout,

He had a 22-7 (.759) career record as a starter at Wisc., including a 6-3 mark against top-25 opposition

That's what I'm saying, JB. Why take him at all, especially with his weak arm? Weren't we better off picking another defender or offensive lineman? I just hate when we invest all that time in someone that we know is not an NFL caliber talent. I know you get surprises from time to time--like Wayne Chrebet--but it doesn't happen that frequently.

Borgo, I love ya, but that doesn't make any sense. Chrebet wasn't even drafted, first of all.

Second of all, we needed QB depth. Why not take one in the 6th? He would have gone drafted, and he had upside. It wasn't a bad pick. Most 6th round guys don't even see the field or make an NFL roster. Bollinger made 3.

Borgo, I love ya, but that doesn't make any sense. Chrebet wasn't even drafted, first of all.

Second of all, we needed QB depth. Why not take one in the 6th? He would have gone drafted, and he had upside. It wasn't a bad pick. Most 6th round guys don't even see the field or make an NFL roster. Bollinger made 3.

I meant that you find a diamond in the rough, even with a walk on like Wayne. I don't want to belabor this but--in those appearances--he looked every bit the sixth round pick. And, I love you, too. Let's go to the next level. :)

Yup and when the Pats do that with a pick which was almost the same spot the year before they end up with one of the greatest QB's of all time.

Ironically enough they both replaced injured QB's on 1-2 teams and both tried to spark the teams to the playoffs.

One did, one didn't. No prizes for guessing which one did.

:bag:

Yup and when the Pats do that with a pick which was almost the same spot the year before they end up with one of the greatest QB's of all time.

Ironically enough they both replaced injured QB's on 1-2 teams and both tried to spark the teams to the playoffs.

One did, one didn't. No prizes for guessing which one did.

:bag:

Difference is Brady had the build of an NFL QB. Yes he was a bit scrawny coming out of the NFL, but he had an NFL caliber arm and a frame that was ideal for putting on mass. He had the tools to take a gamble on improving. Bollinger had a popgun arm and a miniscule frame that really isn't ideal for putting on size and taking the punishment of the NFL. Hell, even now he's still built like a teenage girl. When you take a flyer on a QB in the late rounds, to do it on a guy that has the tools in place but needs guidance on how to effectively use them. The only tool Bollinger had was the fact that he is a tool.

Difference is Brady had the build of an NFL QB. Yes he was a bit scrawny coming out of the NFL, but he had an NFL caliber arm and a frame that was ideal for putting on mass. He had the tools to take a gamble on improving. Bollinger had a popgun arm and a miniscule frame that really isn't ideal for putting on size and taking the punishment of the NFL. Hell, even now he's still built like a teenage girl. When you take a flyer on a QB in the late rounds, to do it on a guy that has the tools in place but needs guidance on how to effectively use them. The only tool Bollinger had was the fact that he is a tool.

All true, and looking back it was a terrible pick but the right idea in terms of position. Heck the Pats took Kliff Kingsbury the pick after I believe. Another part of that legendary 2005 campaign.

In all fairness, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that Bollinger improved a lot more over his his string of starts in 2005 and looked a lot more comfortable at the end of the season than Kellen Clemens ever did over his string of 2007 starts. And they were both starting for somewhat equally bad teams.

Question for you guys; this is hypothetical because it's probably not conceivable, but..

Would you rather be the 3rd string QB on an NFL team of the starter for a UFL team? Assuming you earn the same exact pay check for each job.

Easily the 1st stringer on a UFL team. You don't compete in athletics to sit the bench, and if you are satisfied with that when there are alternatives to start, you shouldn't be playing sports. Your question, btw, is faced by thousands of college backups every year in all sports when they have to make the decision to transfer down in divisions to get more playing time. Joe Flacco, for example.

Third stringer on an NFL team. Just as there are no Canadian League QB's who would not jump to become an NFL third stringer.

One injury to the starter, which happens fairly often, and if the second stringer doesn't produce-bingo, there's your chance

It wouldn't shock me if Brooks showed he could play a little bit. He was kind of gutsy for a terrible team when here.

Question for you guys; this is hypothetical because it's probably not conceivable, but..

Would you rather be the 3rd string QB on an NFL team of the starter for a UFL team? Assuming you earn the same exact pay check for each job.

A starter, for sure.

Not to mention, Brooksie is going to make a **** ton more in the UFL. He was drafted 5th overall, and the UFL commish said that he wants the first round guys and better players to be paid well. Bollinger makes vet minimum in the NFL, and will make more in the UFL (over a million).

The UFL wants to offer $1 million salaries to at least 10 players on each team, which should be enough to lure a few mid-level NFL players to the nascent league.
Brooks is going to make at least $1 million, he was drafted 5th overall. That's awesome.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1669649,00.html

well, if I had gotten my shot like Brooks did in the nfl and I couldn't cut it, I'd rather start in the ufl. But, if I would want to try to make it in the nfl first.

I would easily be the 3rd string QB on an NFL team.

More money and injuries happen A LOT in the NFL, plenty of time for you to then sneak in, start a few games, impress, and maybe land a starting job with that team or with someone else. You also can compete with the #2 guy for the #2 job to make it easier yourself.

But in the end you'll get more $ and you're in a much better, STABLE league. The UFL teams don't even have names yet. They'll be lucky to last 2 years.

Archived