Papelbon willing to go to Yankees when contract up??

Blackout

2 World Series titles in that time frame makes sense to me.

ONE, he wasn't on the '04 team.

Of course you would. Any sane Yankee fan would do the same.

There are certain guys who just shouldn't switch to the Yanks from the Sox or vice versa and papelbon is one of them. As great as he is I wouldn't want him on the Yanks.

World Series titles. :rolleyes:

I think you play to win titles. Right Yankee fan? Or are you coll with the last 8 years of post season failure?

He said "first place", and he's only been on ONE Championship team and as great as you guys think the Sox have been they only have ONE more WS title than the Yanks this decade and IF we get lucky and win it this year we'll have had the much better decade. As it is it is very close btw the teams and a strong argument can be made for the yanks since we won 7 AL East Titles compared to one for Boston, made the postseason 8 of 9 years compared to 5 of 8 for Boston and won more AL pennants(3 for the Yanks compared to 2 for the Sox). The Sox lead in the biggest category but only by ONE.

He said "first place", and he's only been on ONE Championship team and as great as you guys think the Sox have been they only have ONE more WS title than the Yanks this decade and IF we get lucky and win it this year we'll have had the much better decade. As it is it is very close btw the teams and a strong argument can be made for the yanks since we won 7 AL East Titles compared to one for Boston, made the postseason 8 of 9 years compared to 5 of 8 for Boston and won more AL pennants(3 for the Yanks compared to 2 for the Sox). The Sox lead in the biggest category but only by ONE.

Nice use of creative math.

20th centruy...21st century

Irregardless, the Yankees are 8 years removed from winning the title. They have lost their last two appearances in the WS. The last of which was 5 years ago. They have not advanced past the Division Series their last three attempts. They have not won the Division the last two years and missed the playoffs for the first time in 13 years.

The Yankees are slowly erroding while the Sox have been getting better and better. The Yankees dynasty is a tiny speck in the rear view mirror.

Fair enough.

Beckett

Lester

Matsuzaka

Wakefield

Penny

Smoltz

Bucholz

Masterson

All of whom can start. I'll take it. We'll see how good Smoltz is, if he's not, we'll see how good Bucholz is.

At least the Sox have fallback options. The Yanks have none.

Don't forget Bowden. He's been more than solid when he's been called up, even at the age of 22.

:rl: Yup you're right the Yanks are fine with their starters. :-k Wonder why they're scouting Pedro. :P

God you're a ****ing retard. Why don't you bother checking out the splits between Yankee starters and Red Sox starters, you dense ****. See who has better stats.

Smart negotiation ploy by Papelbon. If the Yankees ever come to their senses, Joba will be their future closer.

Not until Joba is the 6th or 7th best starter on the team will that even be a consideration. Even then, he'd probably be traded.

Nice use of creative math.

20th centruy...21st century

Irregardless, the Yankees are 8 years removed from winning the title. They have lost their last two appearances in the WS. The last of which was 5 years ago. They have not advanced past the Division Series their last three attempts. They have not won the Division the last two years and missed the playoffs for the first time in 13 years.

The Yankees are slowly erroding while the Sox have been getting better and better. The Yankees dynasty is a tiny speck in the rear view mirror.

Oh please, 2000 is this decade. The Yanks have struggled in recent years but when evaluating a decade you look at the entire decade not just the last few years.

Let's compare, shall we?(2000-2008)

wins: Yanks 862 Sox 825

Div titles: Yanks 7 Sox 1

Postseason wins: Yanks 41 Sox 34

Postseason apps: Yanks 8 Sox 5

AL pennants: Yanks 3 Sox 2

WS Titles: Yanks 1 Sox 2

If the Yanks or Sox win this yera then that team is the clear winner, if neither win it all it's very close and can go either way.

Not until Joba is the 6th or 7th best starter on the team will that even be a consideration. Even then, he'd probably be traded.

Joba is an average starting pitcher and a shutdown reliever. At one time, Rags was a starter, as was Mariano. The Yankees would be wise to put Hughes in the rotation and put Joba into the pen.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/06/papelbon_strong.html

Papelbon: I don't want to play for Yankees

Jonathan Papelbon grouped reporters together to strongly strike down a report that he would be willing to sign with the New York Yankees.

"I don't want to go (expletive) play for the Yankees," he said. "I've been on a team for the past five years that's been in first place more than any other (expletive) team otherwise. Why would I want to leave?"

Papelbon said he was "nowhere even close" to suggesting he would sign with the Yankees.

"Sometimes in these quotes they only see what they want to see," he said.

"[The Red Sox] don't owe me nothing," he said. "This team doesn't need me. I need the Red Sox more than the Red Sox need me."

He said that where he signs when his contract expires in 2011 only has to do with how happy he is.

"For me, I want to go to a place where I'm happy," he said. "For me, the only thing that's important is that, A, it's like a family and B, I have manager and a GM that's going to protect me, and I know that here."

In an interview on Sirius XM radio yesterday, Papelbon said that "not only the Bronx, but everywhere is a possibility" for him to play when his contract expires.

a few players have said they wouldn't go to the Yankees..I think as recently as Damon...

if the money is there..the player will sign..I think we can count on one hand the number of players in the last ten years who have taken discounts to stay with one team....and I doubt Papelbon would be one of them.

Oh please, 2000 is this decade. The Yanks have struggled in recent years but when evaluating a decade you look at the entire decade not just the last few years.

Let's compare, shall we?(2000-2008)

wins: Yanks 862 Sox 825

Div titles: Yanks 7 Sox 1

Postseason wins: Yanks 41 Sox 34

Postseason apps: Yanks 8 Sox 5

AL pennants: Yanks 3 Sox 2

WS Titles: Yanks 1 Sox 2

If the Yanks or Sox win this yera then that team is the clear winner, if neither win it all it's very close and can go either way.

Do you count the 39 pennants or 26 titles?

I do not remember too many Skank fans going around saying "39".

And for all the wins, the Skanks have not won bupkiss since 2000.

Do you count the 39 pennants or 26 titles?

I do not remember too many Skank fans going around saying "39".

And for all the wins, the Skanks have not won bupkiss since 2000.

If you had a 2 championship lead this wouldn't be an issue but it's just 1 so toher factors can help equalize things and put the yanks ahead. If everything else was equal this wouldn't be a discussion but the Yanks lead in every other category and in some by a wide margin. The Yanks certainly have an argument for team of the decade and if they turn it around and win it this year there's no doubt just like if Bos wins it there's no doubt it's in their favor.

If you had a 2 championship lead this wouldn't be an issue but it's just 1 so toher factors can help equalize things and put the yanks ahead. If everything else was equal this wouldn't be a discussion but the Yanks lead in every other category and in some by a wide margin. The Yanks certainly have an argument for team of the decade and if they turn it around and win it this year there's no doubt just like if Bos wins it there's no doubt it's in their favor.

The Yanks have not won a WS this century. I love this argument.

The Yanks have not won a WS this century. I love this argument.

I love the Yankee haters that latch on to this. They won THIS DECADE! and from 1996-2000 the Yanks won TWICE as many WS as the Sox have since 1919.

No matter how much success the Sox have their fans will always be preoccupied w/ the Yanks. It's very sad.

I love the Yankee haters that latch on to this. They won THIS DECADE! and from 1996-2000 the Yanks won TWICE as many WS as the Sox have since 1919.

No matter how much success the Sox have their fans will always be preoccupied w/ the Yanks. It's very sad.

Just like you're latching on to this 'Team of the Decade' tripe. What does the 'Team of the Decade' win? Is there some sort of trophy? Despite the monetary advantage the Yanks have, the two teams are clearly headed in two different directions.

Just like you're latching on to this 'Team of the Decade' tripe. What does the 'Team of the Decade' win? Is there some sort of trophy? Despite the monetary advantage the Yanks have, the two teams are clearly headed in two different directions.

I am not latching onto anything, i am just talking about reality. Sox fans act like they were a dynasty this decade and far and away the best team in baseball when it's clear that isn't true.

"Despite the monetary advantage the Yanks have"? I forgot we were talking about the Yanks vs. the royals. You guys play in a large market as well and the payroll advantage over SL and Col in '04 and '07 was much larger than any of the Yankee WS titles from 1996-2000.

I am not latching onto anything, i am just talking about reality. Sox fans act like they were a dynasty this decade and far and away the best team in baseball when it's clear that isn't true.

"Despite the monetary advantage the Yanks have"? I forgot we were talking about the Yanks vs. the royals. You guys play in a large market as well and the payroll advantage over SL and Col in '04 and '07 was much larger than any of the Yankee WS titles from 1996-2000.

How much more money did the Yankees spend than the Angels in '05, Detroit in '06, and Cleveland in '07? Not to mention last year when they completely missed the playoffs?

Since 2004, the Yankees have spent $339,246,000 more than the Red Sox. That's an average of over $56 million a year, or two more A-Rods. What have the Yankees done with that money? They are 10-14 in the playoffs, with one playoff series win, including the biggest choke in the history of sports.

I don't blame the Yankees for spending money the way they do, I wish the Sox could trot out a $200 million team every year. It's obvious that the Sox are the better team.

How much more money did the Yankees spend than the Angels in '05, Detroit in '06, and Cleveland in '07? Not to mention last year when they completely missed the playoffs?

Since 2004, the Yankees have spent $339,246,000 more than the Red Sox. That's an average of over $56 million a year, or two more A-Rods. What have the Yankees done with that money? They are 10-14 in the playoffs, with one playoff series win, including the biggest choke in the history of sports.

I don't blame the Yankees for spending money the way they do, I wish the Sox could trot out a $200 million team every year. It's obvious that the Sox are the better team.

That's great but money doesn't equal winning or teams like the Sox and Mets would have more than 4 titles in the past 90+ years.

The Sox have been the better team the last couple of years, I think '03-'05 the two teams were as close as could be, in '06 the Yanks were clearly better while the last 2 years the Sox have been clearly better.

Archived