JetNation Update. What features do you want to see?

Maxman

I agree that most of us can get into arguments without crossing the line into personal attack. I disagree about your cancer joke argument. It is wrong for you, but maybe not for someone else's. As I have said before, gallows humor, or jokes about disease, have always been a part of the humor lexicon. Not everybody's cup of tea, but it did--and does--exist. National Lampoon in the 70s iwas full of this content, and the world is still here and functioning. IMO, 124's calling Verde a **** (an unprovoked personal attack) was 100x worse than Ganggreen posting that stupid cancer reference, which might not have been a joke at all.

Therein lies the problem, Borgo. My guess is that the majority rules 'round here - with a heavy emphasis on the owner's feelings about such matters. This is Max's baby - we just visit. For example, you go visit cousin Arnie and his wife Annabelle in the Poconos - house rules say you take your shoes off at the door. Their house, their rules, you take your shoes off at the door.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that most of us can get into arguments without crossing the line into personal attack. I disagree about your cancer joke argument. It is wrong for you, but maybe not for someone else's. As I have said before, gallows humor, or jokes about disease, have always been a part of the humor lexicon. Not everybody's cup of tea, but it did--and does--exist. National Lampoon in the 70s iwas full of this content, and the world is still here and functioning. IMO, 124's calling Verde a **** (an unprovoked personal attack) was 100x worse than Ganggreen posting that stupid cancer reference, which might not have been a joke at all.

thats where it gets really tough for me... I believe humor should never be restricted and nothing should be off limits, but people need to understand that they arent with their little group of friends. As a "community" people need to think before posting.

I agree with this. I even apologized and rephrased when I meant. I did get upset at what I viewed as people attacking me when I felt it was uncalled for and if I retaliated I would have been the one viewed as wrong. I should have probably stopped posting but that is a problem I have and I am working on working on it.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/group.php?groupid=28

:)

the posts in this thread from today are exactly whats wrong with this place lately.

it could have very easily stayed on topic, but everyone derailed it.

I didnt like the suggestion either, and didnt see a problem with calling an idea silly. It wasnt the person being attacked, just an idea. then it degraded quickly from there.

i guess this is what happens when a board matures and personalities get in the way. The fun, freewheeling days are over.

I would argue exactly the opposite: The variety of discourse within a thread is what makes this place so great. By anyone's definition--and the proliferation of advertising--Jetnation is more popular now than ever before. There is a reason for this: People dig what's going on here. They like the direction and ability to participate in spirited discussion. How many posts can you make about who should start at QB? Or rule changes? Yes, these are important topics, but you would not be here posting if that's all we were concerned with.

Therein lies the problem, Borgo. My guess is that the majority rules 'round here - with a heavy emphasis on the owner's feelings about such matters. This is Max's baby - we just visit. For example, you go visit cousin Arnie and his wife Annabelle in the Poconos - house rules say you take your shoes off at the door. Their house, their rules, you take your shoes off at the door.

I completely agree with you, Garb. I know it's Max' gig. I am just giving my viewpoint. I understand that if his rules bother me, I am free to go elsewhere. It seems to me that all these histrionics--personal attacks, bannings, loutish behavior, etc.--are being perpetrated by a minute number of members. Most of us get along, or can argue in a civilized manner free of name calling and personal attack.

I would argue exactly the opposite: The variety of discourse within a thread is what makes this place so great. By anyone's definition--and the proliferation of advertising--Jetnation is more popular now than ever before. There is a reason for this: People dig what's going on here. They like the direction and ability to participate in spirited discussion. How many posts can you make about who should start at QB? Or rule changes? Yes, these are important topics, but you would not be here posting if that's all we were concerned with.

i meant instead of debating a topic or idea, it hydroplaned into attacks on each other, instead of their ideas. And thats whats been wrong lately.

serious suggestions here.

i would like to see alss sports put in the "other sports" forum like this thread http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77577 , not the lounge. I know there are a lot of people who continue to be into Boxing .. I stopped watching after the thrilla in manilla ( yeah i am old :D)

anyway.. it belongs in Other sports. OR change the title of the forum to Boxing and other sports. People know to go to the baseball forum for baseball.. they will learn.

ALSO

Posting a video does not make you funnny.. i dont mind, but we should have a video thread in the lounge.. not just tons of individual threads with one silly video in it. Consolidate! This way people would know to see some cool and interesting videos, they can go to that thread.. if they want interesting banter, they could look thru the other threads in the lounge.

That is a silly suggestion as I would have to much through the dozens of unfunny **** to get to the one or two video's I would be interested in. I know what poster's post video's I enjoy watching or I can tell by the title and description if I was interested in watching. Half the time the posting of the video itself and not the video is the joke. A giant **** all thread with a hodgepodge of random video's would be annoying to say the least.

you dont have to watch all the videos.. you would see the description of the video and then decide.. how is that different then seeing all of the separate threads and making a decision which one to watch?

there is a "funny picture thread" and it is a sticky.. make the video thread a sticky and have people describe what the video is..

i think it is annoying to see all the different threads that include no really "funny" interesting words to read, but just a stupid video of some random person doing something that usually involves hurting themselves or putting a "beat down" on some idiot.. or something just stoopid.

i just would like the lounge to get back to some funny interesting intellectual banter.

I hate that thread and never look at it. Also, I have not seen one thread the likes of what you are talking about. I think it would just be easier for you to skip the UFC, FOTC, ect threads. The majority of people should suffer because you don't like it? I know that if there was an official thread for everything I would leave to find a site with more freedom. I can't post on a communist site.

dont worry arsis.. my suggestions are never listened to :lol: . so you wont have to worry about leaving where you have more "freedom" :rolleyes:

and there are sometimes when i have no idea what UFC and FOTC stand for.. so i end up opening the threads .. not so easy to skip what i dont know..

but still lies the problem.. there is less and less interesting banter on the site.. that doesnt seem to bother many.

maybe it is just me who is the problem. :D

HERE are the first 5 posts in this discussion. I did not insult arsis. I also do not see his apology. If i have missed something in these posts, please let me know.

i was trying to discuss my suggestions. Over and over i said .. it was just a suggestion.

I completely agree with you, Garb. I know it's Max' gig. I am just giving my viewpoint. I understand that if his rules bother me, I am free to go elsewhere. It seems to me that all these histrionics--personal attacks, bannings, loutish behavior, etc.--are being perpetrated by a minute number of members. Most of us get along, or can argue in a civilized manner free of name calling and personal attack.

whatever ass hat.

:D

HERE are the first 5 posts in this discussion. I did not insult arsis. I also do not see his apology. If i have missed something in these posts, please let me know.

i was trying to discuss my suggestions. Over and over i said .. it was just a suggestion.

keep reading past those 5 posts.

you stirred the pot too.

dont worry arsis.. my suggestions are never listened to :lol: . so you wont have to worry about leaving where you have more "freedom" :rolleyes:

and there are sometimes when i have no idea what UFC and FOTC stand for.. so i end up opening the threads .. not so easy to skip what i dont know..

but still lies the problem.. there is less and less interesting banter on the site.. that doesnt seem to bother many.

maybe it is just me who is the problem. :D

quit yer bitchin' and start posting some interesting banter. LOL

quit yer bitchin' and start posting some interesting banter. LOL

This is well put and something I was trying to be nice and not say.

Of course it was...

would you have preferred a link to meat spin or lemon party?

I would have preferred a link to 1guy1jar.

by the way... i love you all and wish you wouldnt fight in front of the kids.

it pains me to see the few posters i like on this site bickering with each other. It already sucks that 2 i like are banned. I cant lose any more.

That's it. I want a divorce.

serious suggestions here.

i would like to see alss sports put in the "other sports" forum like this thread http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77577 , not the lounge. I know there are a lot of people who continue to be into Boxing .. I stopped watching after the thrilla in manilla ( yeah i am old :D)

anyway.. it belongs in Other sports. OR change the title of the forum to Boxing and other sports. People know to go to the baseball forum for baseball.. they will learn.

ALSO

Posting a video does not make you funnny.. i dont mind, but we should have a video thread in the lounge.. not just tons of individual threads with one silly video in it. Consolidate! This way people would know to see some cool and interesting videos, they can go to that thread.. if they want interesting banter, they could look thru the other threads in the lounge.

we already have that forum(other sports). people need to learn how to post things to the correct forum. maybe our mods should do their job and move stuff to the appropriate forum and send a message to the offender telling them to post in the correct forum.

and I dont like "official" threads. I rarely watch any videos here, but having a separate thread for it would guarantee I would never watch them, nor would any new visitor to the site.

that would just be more posts that you wouldnt understand :lol:

See, now this exchange between gg and Joebaby was good natured smack without the "whaaa!! persnbal attack!!! whaaa!!!" Why is that? Oh I know - it's fun......no masked mal intent here.....just fun.

here's a site suggestion how about we stay on topic and a maybe even mod shows up once in a while and gets rid of all the useless banter in this very thread? There have been some cool suggestions except that you have to weed through 75% of BS to find them.

is thre a Twitter link page somewhere? Although I am not a member I do like to check out what some of our Jets are up to. I have Sanchez, Stuckey, Keller, Rhodes, Feely, Mangold, Ihedigbo, Clowney and Hodges as well as Jane McManus and HolyJoeNamath's Twieets which is an excellent new Jets Blog Site.

here's a site suggestion how about we stay on topic and a maybe even mod shows up once in a while and gets rid of all the useless banter in this very thread? There have been some cool suggestions except that you have to weed through 75% of BS to find them.

Those are the parts I find most interesting, SFJ. Notice how the best, most entertaining to participate in and/or read, threads go off topic. It's how most creative minds operate, especially pertaining to humor.

so it is ok for me to sort through the crap because some others dont want a video thread?

again it was only a suggestion.. and if the masses dont want it, then i would think max would not implement it.

Majority rule in this case. Either way it's annoying to one party, but you decide which opinion has a larger following.

I still would love to have a few of the questions I asked about the giant video thread answered. Like the MMA one in the lounge is on it's second page. What happens when people want to discuss more than one video at a time? They have to deal with 2-3-4 simultaneous discussions going on in the same thread? That would annoy me.

I say let the threads take their course. A mod would have to read most of it anyways, simply to fulfill his position as a moderator. I find this stuff more interesting, and we're mature enough to not need an outside force to artificially monitor our conversations to specific points. All of it started from a site idea, it's just the branching out discussion from that idea.

I say let the threads take their course. A mod would have to read most of it anyways, simply to fulfill his position as a moderator. I find this stuff more interesting, and we're mature enough to not need an outside force to artificially monitor our conversations to specific points. All of it started from a site idea, it's just the branching out discussion from that idea.

I don't think anyone broke any rules either. Unless whining is against the rules. Then I am to be banned for my posts in this thread for giving the people what they want.

That picture is totally unrealistic. Where is the celery?

you got to have celery.. and a parsnip for flavor! :D

as for sofla.. i think a tweeting page would be excellent.

as for arsis question about commenting on the videos, maybe there can be a video subforum, and that would solve a lot of issues.. it wouldnt take up a lot of space in the lounge,., but there could be separate threads in that sub forum.. each with their own video..

Archived