R.I.P. Ed McMahon

LiLMiCKMANTLE

rip.gif

Ed McMahon Dies

Posted Jun 23rd 2009 8:13AM by TMZ Staff

0623_mcmahon_getty.jpgEd McMahon has passed away at 86, according to reports.

According to KNBC, he died at Ronald Regan UCLA Medical Center in California this morning.

He is best known as Johnny Carson's sidekick on "The Tonight Show" and his infamous catchphrase, "Heeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!"

McMahon also hosted "Star Search" and "TV Bloopers And Practical Jokes" with Dick Clark.

He was a colonel in the United States Marines and a fighter pilot and served during the late 1940s and 1950s.

Ed was one of the good guys and a true American hero!

Damn it Hector. Thats exactly what I wanted to say. RIP Ed. You must be dumming it down some. So you catch that secretary yet?

I guess I am dumbing it down, subconsciously, to be compared to someone who was referred to as "simple" within the last week.

And like I said before, that's a catch that would be thrown back. Immediately.

tambor did a great job emualting Ed in Larry Sanders Show..

for those who didnt know, the show was takeoff of old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

The scripts were based on Tonight Show producer Freddie DeCordova (Rip Torn), Carson (Gary Shandling) and McMahon (Jeffrey Tambor).

many inside industry said that Rip Torn's character was a clone of what DeCodova did and acted like.

larrysanders3.jpg

tambor did a great job emualting Ed in Larry Sanders Show..

for those who didnt know, the show was takeoff of old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

The scripts were based on Tonight Show producer Freddie DeCordova (Rip Torn), Carson (Gary Shandling) and McMahon (Jeffrey Tambor).

many inside industry said that Rip Torn's character was a clone of what DeCodova did and acted like.

larrysanders3.jpg

Very underrated show. I liked the earlier episodes with Jeremy Piven as the head writer. Bob Odenkirk was perfect as Larry's agent, too.

During World War II, McMahon was a fighter pilot in the United States Marine Corps serving as a flight instructor and test pilot. He was a decorated pilot and was discharged in 1946, remaining in the reserves.[3]

After college, McMahon returned to active duty. He was sent to Korea in February 1953. He flew unarmed O-1E Bird Dogs on 85 tactical air control and artillery spotting missions. He remained in the Marine Corps Reserve, retiring with the rank of Colonel in 1966 and was then commissioned as a Brigadier General in the California Air National Guard.

During World War II, McMahon was a fighter pilot in the United States Marine Corps serving as a flight instructor and test pilot. He was a decorated pilot and was discharged in 1946, remaining in the reserves.[3]

After college, McMahon returned to active duty. He was sent to Korea in February 1953. He flew unarmed O-1E Bird Dogs on 85 tactical air control and artillery spotting missions. He remained in the Marine Corps Reserve, retiring with the rank of Colonel in 1966 and was then commissioned as a Brigadier General in the California Air National Guard.

Didn't know this earlier. Strange that things like this come out AFTER a persons death. I guess good news doesn't sell. :( RIP

Archived