Celtics trade Rondo/Scalabrine for Gay/Conley

GangGreen

All over the RealGM forums, and it's said all around the web to be true. I'm the biggest Rondo fan ever and this would suck to see him go, but with these two very, very young solid players, I can't say we wouldn't be just as good. Rondo, in my opinion, can easily be in the top 5 overall player discussion within the next few seasons, but Gay's potential is through the roof. Good trade or bad trade?

I'll say good trade, as I probably just overhype Rondo...

Yeah, plus Scal is like 31 I think, so this is a crap trade for Memphis. Hope this goes through. If we can re-sign Starbury and get a good veteran player with the MLE, we'll already be stacked, not including the draft or the LLE.

Yeah, plus Scal is like 31 I think, so this is a crap trade for Memphis. Hope this goes through. If we can re-sign Starbury and get a good veteran player with the MLE, we'll already be stacked, not including the draft or the LLE.

If I was Boston the last thing I would think of doing is looking at Marbury. Give that MLE to Jason Kidd, and this team is set at Point Guard for next season.

Rondo is the most annoying player ever. He can't shoot and when he does lay ups he just throws them up in the air like a freakin' talent show. Its stupid and he blows offensively.

Good trade for Boston, although the fans will be sad to see Scal go.

I know, but isn't amazing how fast the Celtics fans turned on Rondo...

Yeah, obviously.....now we're going to overhype him again :)

I would try to be an optimist for this trade, even though I still believe Rondo can be a top 5 overall player soon, but Rudy Gay's potential is still through the roof. I want to know which of these rumors is actually true...hopefully one that includes Perk...

Yeah, obviously.....now we're going to overhype him again :)

I would try to be an optimist for this trade, even though I still believe Rondo can be a top 5 overall player soon, but Rudy Gay's potential is still through the roof. I want to know which of these rumors is actually true...hopefully one that includes Perk...

I stopped reading after that. You can't possibly be serious.

Ainge critical of Rondo, says he has to 'grow up' in some areas

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/06/ainge_critical.html

With Rajon Rondo's name continually popping up in trade rumors, Celtics president Danny Ainge spoke once again this morning about his point guard, stressing his value to the team while also saying "he's got to grow up in some places" and making other critical comments that didn't shed him in the best light.

Speaking this morning on WEEI's "Dennis and Callahan" program, Ainge said Rondo needed to take more of a leadership role and revealed the 23-year-old was fined for showing up late to a game. "We expect him to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader," Ainge said. "There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don't know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it's just unacceptable."

Ainge was also critical of Rondo's play during the Celtics' second-round loss to the Magic.

"As we saw in the Orlando series, they left him wide open," Ainge said. "His presence hurt us in winning right now because his man went and doubled onto Ray [Allen] and Paul [Pierce] and made it difficult for us."

Ainge said Rondo wasn't "that disruptive of a player," but that he still hasn't fully matured.

"He's got to grow up in some cases, and I think he is, too," Ainge said. "Slowly but surely Rondo is maturing. He's getting a little bit more control over his emotions and he's responding in a more positive way as he gets older and more mature in the league."

Rondo is still on a rookie contract, but his deal can be extended before the end of October. If the Celtics haven't reached an agreement with Rondo by then he will become a restricted free agent after next season, but Boston will have the chance to match any offer he may get. Rondo could be difficult for the Celtics to re-sign for salary cap reasons. Rondo has said he hopes to be a maximum-contract player, something Ainge disagrees with at this point.

"I think it's a good goal for Rondo to have just from a monetary standpoint, but to be that kind of player that warrants a max contract -- I certainly don't see Rondo as a max-contract player today," Ainge said. "Next summer is a summer where we'll probably have to make some financial conclusions about Rondo if we don't come to a conclusion this summer."

Listen to the full WEEI interview here.

You do realize that Wade, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, and Chris Paul are still going to be in the league. Right?

Carmelo? I could agree with the others, but Melo is way too overrated...not saying that he sucks, but he's not even close to one of the best players in the NBA...

Carmelo? I could agree with the others, but Melo is way too overrated...not saying that he sucks, but he's not even close to one of the best players in the NBA...

At times he gives up, but I still think he's better than Rondo.

Carmelo is definitely better than Rondo.

But another player that'll be in the league in five years? Derrick Rose.

I could name 15 easily who are and will be better than Rondo.

Carmelo is definitely better than Rondo.

But another player that'll be in the league in five years? Derrick Rose.

I could name 15 easily who are and will be better than Rondo.

Yeah, I meant Rondo as a top 5 PG. For top 6 players (in no order, and I couldn't choose just 5):

LeBron

Wade

Granger

Durant

Paul

Howard

People will bash me about Granger and Durant, but just watch...

Archived