Jennings deal could offer insight to Jets/ L. Washington deal

BroadwayJ667

It's a deal that flew under the radar in these parts, but the recent contract extension the Packers gave wide receiver Greg Jennings is worth noting.

Jennings, like Jets running back Leon Washington was in the final year of his rookie contract and was due to make only $535,000 in 2009. And the Packers, like the Jets, were staring at the choice of holding off on a new deal because of the uncertainty of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the possibility Jennings would be a restricted, not unrestricted free agent, in 2010. Thus, the Packers would still hold his rights.

Nonetheless, Green Bay still signed Jennings to a three-year, $27 million extension that included $16 million guaranteed, this week.

Washington, a fourth-year pro, is said to be seeking a deal worth roughly $6 million per season, a contract in line with the Chargers' Darren Sproles (one-year, $6.21 million) and the Jaguars' Maurice Jones-Drew (four-years, $32.4 million, $17.5 million guaranteed).

It's believed that the Jets are in agreement that Washington, a Pro Bowler, deserves a new deal. He has done everything the team has asked and been an ultra-productive player. But the organization is hesitant to pull the trigger because of the lack of a new CBA and the possibility of getting Washington on the cheap in 2010.

The Packers didn't play hardball with Jennings and perhaps the Jets have taken note. With or without a new CBA, Washington, like Jennings, is a franchise-type player and it would seem to behoove the Jets to do the right thing and sign Washington to an extension before the start of training camp.

The Jets are watching the market closely with regards to players in a similar position as Washington and maybe the signing of Jennings will cause them to reevaluate their position.

If not, Washington, the Jets' most explosive offensive weapon, may well be a training camp holdout, which wouldn't bode well for new coach Rex Ryan.

-nj

If I were Leon I'd be pissed-off. He is unquestionably the most productive all-round offensive threat on this football team and he's being paid peanuts while a rookie who's never taken a snap, let alone contributed to the team, is getting 50 mil to step out onto the field in a green jersey. Without Leon our special teams is average and our offense is one-dimensional. Pay him. He's earned it.

Wut?

Doesn't it bother people how words like this are tossed around so casually these days?

Washington is a very explosive player... that's like saying Darren Sproles (who I think is a better version of Washington) a franchise type player. They are backs who compliment other backs.

I agree to pay him more than he's making now, but not franchise type money.

Washington is a very explosive player... that's like saying Darren Sproles (who I think is a better version of Washington) a franchise type player. They are backs who compliment other backs.

I agree to pay him more than he's making now, but not franchise type money.

Leon is better than Sproles IMO.

He's not Greg Jennings though, a borderline elite WR.

Franchise players usually start.

To be fair though Leon basically does. Say what you want about him but 9 overall TD's is pretty good production - The kid can do it all. If he does go he'll be very hard to replace. I think he deserves more money than a lot of people on this board do, but he's not Maurice Jones-Drew and he's not Greg Jennings. Anything around what those guys got is too much. That being said I want this guy signed, badly. He's a guy who can win you a game in a heartbeat and in many different ways. Very useful for a team with a young QB too.

Archived