Farrah Fawcett Dies @ 62

Vudu

Charlie's Angels' actress Farrah Fawcett dies from cancer at 62; Longtime love Ryan O'Neal at side

alg_farrah_rip.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/06/25/2009-06-25_charlies_angels_actress_farrah_fawcett_dies_from_cancer_at_62.html#ixzz0JSnjIvIU&D

Actress Farrah Fawcett, whose layered blonde mane and ubiquitous swimsuit poster transformed the once-unknown "Charlie's Angels" star into a '70s icon, died Thursday.

The Texas-born Fawcett, 62, was diagnosed with anal cancer in 2006 and chronicled her valiant fight for survival in a two-hour documentary.

Just days before her death, longtime love Ryan O'Neal said he hoped she would hang on long enough for them to wed.

"I've asked her to marry me, again, and she's agreed," O'Neal, 68, told Barbara Walters in a "20/20" interview.

"As soon as she can say yes," he said. "Maybe we can just nod her head."

The former pinup traveled the world in search for a cure for her disease, allowing cameras to capture her treatment and inner thoughts.

"I know that everyone will die eventually, but I do not want to die of this disease. I want to stay alive," she said.

"So I say to God, because it is, after all, in his hands: It is seriously time for a miracle."

By the time the documentary aired in May, Fawcett was gravely ill, too sick to attend her own premiere. And the miracle she prayed for never came.

Fawcett burst into the national consciousness during the Bicentennial, debuting in September 1976 as one of three gorgeous female investigators on "Charlie's Angels."

Derided as "jiggle TV," the show made Fawcett an instant star - and she bolted after one season for a movie career. Forgettable flicks like "Saturn 3" and "Sunburn" quickly followed.

A determined Fawcett bounced back, returning to television and earning three Emmy nominations for her dramatic work.

She produced and starred in 1984's "The Burning Bed," portraying a domestic violence victim. Her other Emmy nods came for "Small Sacrifices" in 1989 and "The Guardian" in 2001.

She also starred as a vengeful rape victim in the off-Broadway success "Extremities," reprising her role in the screen version. And Fawcett received kudos for her 1997 comeback role in "The Apostle," opposite Robert Duvall.

She was equally known for her bizarre off-screen exploits: An incoherent 1997 appearance with David Letterman, a violent fight with a spurned boyfriend the next year, and her stormy relationship with actor Ryan O'Neal.

Her 60th birthday party ended with O'Neal pulling a gun on his son Griffin.

Fawcett came to Hollywood from Corpus Christi, Texas. Her stunning looks and girl-next-door demeanor landed her a modeling gig within two weeks.

She also landed a husband: actor Lee Majors, "The Six Million Dollar Man." The pair split in 1982, with O'Neal replacing Majors as her on-and-off leading man.

It was her role as Angel Jill Monroe that cast Fawcett as a Hollywood pinup, a '70s version of Rita Hayworth or Marilyn Monroe.

A poster of Fawcett in a one-piece red bathing suit sold 12 million copies - adorning as many teen bedrooms.

The Letterman appearance, more than a decade old, remains a popular clip on YouTube. Fawcett was on the show promoting her second nude Playboy pictorial.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/06/25/2009-06-25_charlies_angels_actress_farrah_fawcett_dies_from_cancer_at_62.html#ixzz0JSnfDUXl&D

I have 5 kids, I'm ruined. When I think nipple I think of my kids breast feeding. Areola is teh awesome.

But yes you are correct.

You're a girl? :ahhh: Or are you referring to your wife breastfeeding?

most girls like me had the farrah fawcett hairdo..

sigh.. way too young to die.

Im a little relieved that she finally let go. She was suffering terribly, i cant begin to fathom the amount of pain she was in. I saw clips from that special with her and Barbra Walters and it was heart wrenching.

RIP Farrah.

Im a little relieved that she finally let go. She was suffering terribly, i cant begin to fathom the amount of pain she was in. I saw clips from that special with her and Barbra Walters and it was heart wrenching.

RIP Farrah.

i couldnt watch the dateline special.. i just couldnt, it was making me so very sad.

as I am on my iPhone sitting here reading this while in the waiting room at the cancer doctor waiting to get some blood work done I am just bummed at reading this. Rip, nobody should have to go like that.

hope your blood work comes out ok, joebaby

as I am on my iPhone sitting here reading this while in the waiting room at the cancer doctor waiting to get some blood work done I am just bummed at reading this. Rip, nobody should have to go like that.

Best of luck Joe baby!! :love0038:

After watching that special I realized she was in so much pain. I give her so much credit for fighting the way she did.

RIP Farrah. God bless.

That special was a real eye opener. :( Until that I had never heard of anal cancer.

Does Anal cancer just happen like say brain carcer or something? or can doing something in that area cause damage that leads to cancer?? just like we all no smoking can lead to Lung cancer.

A good question Mick. I'm not sure. I heard someone say "doing something" in that area caused it but who knows if they knew what they were talking about.

Archived