Vince Carter to Magic?

MagicBizkit87

The New Jersey Nets are in serious talks with the Magic about a deal that will send Vince Carter to Orlando for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee, two league sources told ESPN.com.

The talks have reached a point that a deal could be done by the end of the day Thursday, according to sources.

The trade would give the Magic even more star power on their quest to win an NBA championship. The addition of Carter to a lineup that already consists of All-Star players Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson would make them the favorites to win the Eastern Conference title next year.

As for the Nets, the move is a cost-cutting measure. Both Alston and Battie are in the last year of their contracts, and trading for them would shave $16.5 million off New Jersey's roster in the summer of 2010 and put the Nets well below the salary cap.

The deal, if completed, would also give the Nets a young, promising shooting guard in Lee.

Chad Ford covers the NBA and NBA draft for ESPN Insider.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4287197

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has to be about $$, Magic do not need another soft jump shooter that doesn't play defense.....if true, bad move for the Magic IMO.

This probably means Hedo is gone, and Marcin Gortat hopefully will be brought back. If not we'll look at the likes of Rasheed, and McDyess as well.

PG Jameer

SG Carter

SF Shard

PF Gortat/Sheed/McDyess

C Dwight

This probably means Hedo is gone, and Marcin Gortat hopefully will be brought back. If not we'll look at the likes of Rasheed, and McDyess as well.

PG Jameer

SG Carter

SF Shard

PF Gortat/Sheed/McDyess

C Dwight

Sheed or McDyess will be nasty, don't see it happening though.

Sheed or McDyess will be nasty, don't see it happening though.

McDyess is likely, because he's probably going to be cheap, and after getting Carter we'll most likely go to the cheap route when it comes to PF. Marcin Gortat is probably my first choice though. If Sheed realizes he's not worth anything more then the MLE then I can really see us trying to get him.

I will be so ****ing pissed off if they trade Courtney Lee. I will really lose faith in this organization.

I agree, thought the Magic got rid of the monkey's running the show. If this deal is true, its horrible IMO.

The Magic have to try and make the trade with J.J. Redick instead of Lee. Add any kind of money, I just don't want to see this guy, Courtney Lee anywhere but Orlando.

I will not follow the Nets anymore if they acquire Redick.

I will not follow the Nets anymore if they acquire Redick.

Its clear they're not trying to put a winning product on the court, its all about $$$. Im done wasting my time watching them.

McDyess is likely, because he's probably going to be cheap, and after getting Carter we'll most likely go to the cheap route when it comes to PF. Marcin Gortat is probably my first choice though. If Sheed realizes he's not worth anything more then the MLE then I can really see us trying to get him.

The revised deal has Ryan Anderson in it.

I still don't want to lose CLEE

There's your PF....

There's your PF....

I didn't even know his name until it was mentioned he was in the trade. Although I just looked at his stats, and they're impressive. Plus he's only 21. They made this trade a little better with the addition of him. I still will miss Courtney Lee though.

I didn't even know his name until it was mentioned he was in the trade. Although I just looked at his stats, and they're impressive. Plus he's only 21. They made this trade a little better with the addition of him. I still will miss Courtney Lee though.

Yep, but no way will the Nets give Carter away without getting a scorer.

I wish we wouldn't trade Courtney Lee, but add J.J. Redick instead, and add some extra money as well. I just don't want to see Lee get traded.

No offense, but J.J. Redick ain't ****. I won't do this trade if I was Orlando. They pick up a huge contract and they let go one of their future bright players.

Here is the updated trade, for those who didn't know:

Magic Get:

SG Vince Carter

PF Ryan Anderson

Nets Get:

SG Courtney Lee

PG Rafer Alston

PF Tony Battie

From reading Anderson's stats, I see he's got a nice 3 point shot (.365%). I guess with the way Pietrus played in the playoffs, is why were thinking of sending Courtney Lee.

The Magic are known to trade players that haven't reached their prime yet. See Ben Wallace, and Chucky Atkins to Detroit for Grant Hill. That turned out wonderful for us... LOL

Courtney Lee has to stick one of the best players in the game. Stuff like that will get him better. Vince Carter is passed his prime.

This will only hurt the Magic.

Totally agree, and they'll lose Turkalou (spelling).

Here is the updated trade, for those who didn't know:

Magic Get:

SG Vince Carter

PF Ryan Anderson

Nets Get:

SG Courtney Lee

PG Rafer Alston

PF Tony Battie

From reading Anderson's stats, I see he's got a nice 3 point shot (.365%). I guess with the way Pietrus played in the playoffs, is why were thinking of sending Courtney Lee.

The Magic are known to trade players that haven't reached their prime yet. See Ben Wallace, and Chucky Atkins to Detroit for Grant Hill. That turned out wonderful for us... LOL

Nelson

VC

Lewis

Anderson

Superman

Pietrus still comes off the bench.

Totally agree, and they'll lose Turkalou (spelling).

Turkoglu.

Nets, do it!!!! Nothing negative that can come out of this. Lee is a stud, Alston is a good player. Carter is way past his prime, and NJ is obviously not going anywhere with him. Not to mention the cap, and getting rid of the huge contract.

Nelson

VC

Lewis

Anderson

Superman

Pietrus still comes off the bench.

Yeah, and keep in mind we still have our MLE, so we could really look into getting Gortat back on this team, or maybe even sign Rasheed Wallace like I said. Then we could have Anderson, and Pietrus coming off the bench.

I'm gonna miss Courtney Lee a hell of a lot, but Ryan Anderson makes this deal a little bit better for us to chew on, I guess.

Yeah, and keep in mind we still have our MLE, so we could really look into getting Gortat back on this team, or maybe even sign Rasheed Wallace like I said. Then we could have Anderson, and Pietrus coming off the bench.

I'm gonna miss Courtney Lee a hell of a lot, but Ryan Anderson makes this deal a little bit better for us to chew on, I guess.

You gotta look in the long run too, brotha.

You gotta look in the long run too, brotha.

Well two of the best couple of players on the Magic are young players. See Dwight Howard, and Jameer Nelson, so we aren't becoming an old team. Dwight Howard got us to the Finals, and his offensive game isn't a finished product yet.

Well two of the best couple of players on the Magic are young players. See Dwight Howard, and Jameer Nelson, so we aren't becoming an old team. Dwight Howard got us to the Finals, and his offensive game isn't a finished product yet.

I agree, however, Lee did a lot of dirty work throughout the playoffs. Sticking teams best players.

I don't think Orlando will be a better defensive team. I think people underrate Tony Battie's defensive ability.

Archived