Al Green vs. Marvin Gaye

JustInFudge

Al Green vs. Marvin Gaye  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Al Green vs. Marvin Gaye

• Al Green
    • Marvin Gaye

I'm sorry, but we are having this debate in the office. I associate the 2 singers in not only the same genre but also the same time frame and Marvin Gay seems to receive more attention and fame for his work and you never hear about Al Green in that same light.

And its not that I dont think Marvin Gaye was amazing, he was, and I love his music, but Al Green blows him out of the water. Its not even close.

Thoughts?

Al Green's "Tired of Being Alone" blows away pretty much anything Marvin Gaye ever did. And I defy anyone to listen to him sing "Love and Happiness" and not wind up with a huge smile on your face.

Pretty much. I truly think that because of the success of songs like "Sexual Healing" And "Whats Going On", that people just assume that Marvin is the better artist, but the whole body of work, really isnt all that impressive IMO. Al Green on the other hand is just flat out incredible with just about everything he produced.

Pretty much. I truly think that because of the success of songs like "Sexual Healing" And "Whats Going On", that people just assume that Marvin is the better artist, but the whole body of work, really isnt all that impressive IMO. Al Green on the other hand is just flat out incredible with just about everything he produced.

Ben Harper's version of Sexual Healing is better than Marvin Gaye's.

I'm sorry, but we are having this debate in the office. I associate the 2 singers in not only the same genre but also the same time frame and Marvin Gay seems to receive more attention and fame for his work and you never hear about Al Green in that same light.

And its not that I dont think Marvin Gaye was amazing, he was, and I love his music, but Al Green blows him out of the water. Its not even close.

Thoughts?

actual professional singers consider Al Green the much better singer

actual professional singers consider Al Green the much better singer

You would never know it.

I dont know if it has to do with his death or what, but Marvin gets all the attention from the time period and genre and Al was clearly better.

OMG you guys have GOT to be kidding me...Marvin is SO over Al Green it isn't even funny. After Sam Cooke died Marvin was THE man in the AA community. Listen to his stuff he did with Tammi Terrell and then his solo stuff...What's Goin' On is a seminal album

X5NBkw2c3EU

OMG you guys have GOT to be kidding me...Marvin is SO over Al Green it isn't even funny. After Sam Cooke died Marvin was THE man in the AA community. Listen to his stuff he did with Tammi Terrell and then his solo stuff...What's Goin' On is a seminal album

X5NBkw2c3EU

As I said before, after "Whats Goin On" and "Sexual Healing"....his music is so/so.

Al Green is just song after song of genius.

Now dont get me wrong. Marvin was great, I like him, but he's literally got nothing on Al Green.

As I said before, after "Whats Goin On" and "Sexual Healing"....his music is so/so.

Al Green is just song after song of genius.

Now dont get me wrong. Marvin was great, I like him, but he's literally got nothing on Al Green.

Marvin was a master musician, singer, songwriter, band leader, great harmony singer (which is VERY hard to do when you sing lead) and he made anyone he sang with better-The Reverend Al Green could or CAN not do half of what Marvin could do trust me-I've done the research on this

Marvin was a master musician, singer, songwriter, band leader, great harmony singer (which is VERY hard to do when you sing lead) and he made anyone he sang with better-The Reverend Al Green could or CAN not do half of what Marvin could do trust me-I've done the research on this

There is a lot of truth to this. Marvin was probably the more complete musician...but I am just talking about the music. What you hear.

Al Green >>>>>> Marvin Gaye.

Its just a better sound and more enjoyable music. But thats the beauty of music, people can feel completely different...I find Al Green's music to be much better then that of Gaye even though Marvin was probably the more talented/complete "musician".

What's up fellas?

wow, tough poll putting two giants like this up against each other. I think Al Green has had a better voice, however Marvin Gaye was much more versatile. I agree with Kleck in that Love and Happiness is a great song, but Sofla is totally correct in his praise of What's Going On, one of my all time favorite albums. If you are talking about romance music, I always thought Luther was better than Marvin, but Al Green was the king.

I go with Al

What's up fellas?

wow, tough poll putting two giants like this up against each other. I think Al Green has had a better voice, however Marvin Gaye was much more versatile. I agree with Kleck in that Love and Happiness is a great song, but Sofla is totally correct in his praise of What's Going On, one of my all time favorite albums. If you are talking about romance music, I always thought Luther was better than Marvin, but Al Green was the king.

I go with Al

J-Dub!!!!! What up my good man!

What's up fellas?

I go with Al

JW!!! Whats good?

This is a good post. Also, does Marvin have a better song than "Lets Stay Together"??? My personel fav by Al.

Marvin Gaye was a transcendant vocalist.

Al Green sings a nice ballad.

Don't get me wrong, they are both great but Al Green has basically 1 sound... Gaye had many.

You could throw a dance party with a Marvin Gaye song (Got to Give it up) ... or make a statement about the Environment or Society (Mercy Mercy Me, What's Going on? Inner City Blues). The duels with tammy terrell, diana ross were legendary. Marvin Gaye sang what is possibly the greatest performance of the national anthem ever at the 1980 NBA all star game. The man was a living legend.

Al Green, as much as I love him, will get you laid that's about it... which is good and all but Marvin's got that covered too (Lets Get it On, Sexual Healing). I don't think Green had 1 song as catchy as "heard it through the grape vine" either.

my favorite marvin gaye tune of late is "What's Happening Brother" 6:40ish of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s

Dont mess with the master!

put it another way we were talking this morning about which dead performers you'd want to bring back for a legendary concert. The usual names were there, Bob Marley, Elvis, the 2 dead Beatles, Hendrix and Marvin Gaye too. No one will talk about bringing Al Green back from the dead for a legendary concert. He's really really good but so are teh Isley Brothers... or Luther... or Barry White.

marvin gaye.

really imagine if he had been making music for the past 25 years? When he died, he was younger then i am.

al green is awesome and has a distinctive sound .. but marvin could work a song.

Don't get me wrong, they are both great but Al Green has basically 1 sound... Gaye had many.

You could throw a dance party with a Marvin Gaye song (Got to Give it up) ... or make a statement about the Environment or Society (Mercy Mercy Me, What's Going on? Inner City Blues). The duels with tammy terrell, diana ross were legendary. Marvin Gaye sang what is possibly the greatest performance of the national anthem ever at the 1980 NBA all star game. The man was a living legend.

Al Green, as much as I love him, will get you laid that's about it... which is good and all but Marvin's got that covered too (Lets Get it On, Sexual Healing). I don't think Green had 1 song as catchy as "heard it through the grape vine" either.

my favorite marvin gaye tune of late is "What's Happening Brother" 6:40ish of this video

put it another way we were talking this morning about which dead performers you'd want to bring back for a legendary concert. The usual names were there, Bob Marley, Elvis, the 2 dead Beatles, Hendrix and Marvin Gaye too. No one will talk about bringing Al Green back from the dead for a legendary concert. He's really really good but so are teh Isley Brothers... or Luther... or Barry White.

I read this post and then I think about your posts about DRob from back in 05 and 06 and :rl:

Marvin achieved more and was the more complete artist, but if you are on that first date, and you bring a young lady back to your place, and you want to get her in the mood ... you want to play an Al Green song.

damn Matt, not only do you know your NFL prospects....

put it another way we were talking this morning about which dead performers you'd want to bring back for a legendary concert. The usual names were there, Bob Marley, Elvis, the 2 dead Beatles, Hendrix and Marvin Gaye too. No one will talk about bringing Al Green back from the dead for a legendary concert.

To be fair though, on that topic, people are always more partial to those who died prematurely - while they were still in their prime.

William Shatner has them all beat

Shatner%20TMan%2010.99.jpg

1. King Henry the Fifth/Elegy for the Brave

2. Theme from Cyrano/Mr. Tambourine Man

3. Hamlet/It Was a Very Good Year Listen

4. Romeo and Juliet/How Insensitive (Insensatez)

5. Spleen/Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds Listen

6. Transformed Man

well..for my money Otis Redding blows them both out of the water...but I always liked a singer who sang the emotion over the notes.

Having said that I have to go with Marvin here, I think his entire catalog gets overshadowed by his monstrous iconic hits like "Let's Get It On" and "Mercy, Mercy Me" which are great songs but those two alone could never encompass the breadth of the man's work.

"Ain't That Perculiar" may be the greatest Motown song ever recorded!

But there are gems that you never hear...

like..

45Q7d85aCOI

what an underrated song..I never hear this unless I am playing it.

or listen to

N7wsoiRbirM

I mean, these songs get so overshadowed that I think true public appreciation for Marvin is underwhelming....I mean...you basically think of three or four songs with Marvin before you even get to "Pride and Joy" or "Ain't That Perculiar".

"Sexual Healing" is a great song, but probably doesn't truly break the top 20 in his own catalog as greatest songs recorded by Marvin Gaye.

and that doesn't even scratch the surface of his amazing duets....

l-Os2eUa6NU

I just think his entire body of work is better than Green's...which is in no way an insult to Al Green!

To be fair though, on that topic, people are always more partial to those who died prematurely - while they were still in their prime.

Always. No doubt about it.

What it comes down to is sound. Al Green's sound is better, his music is better. Gaye may be more talented, but thats not what I a talking about. I prefer listening to Al Green.

well..for my money Otis Redding blows them both out of the water...but I always liked a singer who sang the emotion over the notes.

Having said that I have to go with Marvin here, I think his entire catalog gets overshadowed by his monstrous iconic hits like "Let's Get It On" and "Mercy, Mercy Me" which are great songs but those two alone could never encompass the breadth of the man's work.

"Ain't That Perculiar" may be the greatest Motown song ever recorded!

But there are gems that you never hear...

like..

45Q7d85aCOI

what an underrated song..I never hear this unless I am playing it.

or listen to

N7wsoiRbirM

I mean, these songs get so overshadowed that I think true public appreciation for Marvin is underwhelming....I mean...you basically think of three or four songs with Marvin before you even get to "Pride and Joy" or "Ain't That Perculiar".

"Sexual Healing" is a great song, but probably doesn't truly break the top 20 in his own catalog as greatest songs recorded by Marvin Gaye.

and that doesn't even scratch the surface of his amazing duets....

l-Os2eUa6NU

I just think his entire body of work is better than Green's...which is in no way an insult to Al Green!

You had me at Otis Redding.

K-FQL-tJ3ic

EvMxaDZfA9Y

Always. No doubt about it.

What it comes down to is sound. Al Green's sound is better, his music is better. Gaye may be more talented, but thats not what I a talking about. I prefer listening to Al Green.

Al Green's MUSIC was better? Marvin had the greatest back-up band in the history of pop,R&B and soul music that God Himself ever created The Funk Brothers-NO other unit had more number 1's. They had more than The Beatles AND Elvis combined

Archived