Any tips for driving the Pacific Coast H-way?

AFJF

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drive safely. :bag: Seriously, have a great trip .

Thanks Thai...it's not etched in stone yet, but kicking around a few ideas for two weeks off this time next year.

Thanks Thai...it's not etched in stone yet, but kicking around a few ideas for two weeks off this time next year.

Never been on it but it sounds like a neat adventure. I remember seeing it on The Rockford Files all the time.

Thinking about going out there next year driving from Vancouver to San Diego. Tips from anyone who's made the drive would be greatly appreciated.

I did the PCH from San Fran to Seattle. Absolutely amazing. I was on a time deadline so I didnt stop as much as I wanted to so I could enjoy it, but the views were incredible.

You can do that drive with absolutely nothing planned and just stop places that look cool. Its pretty convenient in that sense. Would love to do it again and take my time.

Did the drive from LA to San Francisco a while ago, but a good portion of that stretch of the PCH is a little inland. I remember the portion between Oxnard and San Luis Obispo (not far from LA) being the most scenic, since it's right along the water and goes through areas like Malibu.

Did the drive from LA to San Francisco a while ago, but a good portion of that stretch of the PCH is a little inland. I remember the portion between Oxnard and San Luis Obispo (not far from LA) being the most scenic, since it's right along the water and goes through areas like Malibu.

I just recently drove it from San Diego to Malibu. Its not very exciting. Lots of traffic. About the only thing that was cool on that drive is I took a picture of Crenshaw and felt all Thug'd out pumpin Snoop and Dre while driving through Long Beach.

I'm looking at the route now and I think Calgary to San Diego is just too much to be able to enjoy myself if I only have two weeks. There are quite a few cities I'd like to spend two or three days in so I'm thinking maybe San Fran to San Diego on the PCH with a couple days in LA.

I'm looking at the route now and I think Calgary to San Diego is just too much to be able to enjoy myself if I only have two weeks. There are quite a few cities I'd like to spend two or three days in so I'm thinking maybe San Fran to San Diego on the PCH with a couple days in LA.

Meh, I hated LA and cut my stay there short and spent the extra time in San Fran. I'd rather spend more time either there, or in San Diego if I were you.

Thinking about going out there next year driving from Vancouver to San Diego. Tips from anyone who's made the drive would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a lot of fun. If you were to want to take a detour I'd recommend the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Byway- It's really quite beautiful and there are some tourist spots where you can stop to take some good pictures. The Columbia gorge runs on I-84 but the Byway goes up into the cliffs, and it's really beautiful. I'm not a "love nature" kinda guy but it's hard not to fall in love with that drive.

If the ocean is on your right, you are heading south toward mexico, if the ocean is on your left, you are heading north toward canada.

Meh, I hated LA and cut my stay there short and spent the extra time in San Fran. I'd rather spend more time either there, or in San Diego if I were you.

Yup, LA just sucks! San Diego is a much better place to visit. Avoid the douchebaggery and traffic of LA at all costs.

+1

L.A sucks.

San Diego could be the coolest city in the country. But, I'm from the surf/skate culture, so I am biased....but L.A. is just a mess. I dont know how anyone could live in the hell hole.

San Fran is a cool place to visist, dont think I could ever live there...but definitely a great place to spend time.

I've only done the drive from San Fran to LA. Stunning views along the way, just remember to keep an eye on the road.

We stopped in Monterray to visit the aquarium and do the 17 mile drive around the peninsula. Got to walk the 17th and 18th hole at Pebble Beach.

I agree with the posters on trying to avoid LA and spend time in San Francisco and San Diego. Go to the San Diego Zoo and spend some time at Coronado Beach.

I've done the PCH drive several times. It's truly amazing. These were some of my favorite places along the way..

San Juan Capistrano

San Diego (Old town)

Santa Monica (pier/SM & Venice beaches/3rd street promenade)

Malibu

Santa Barbara

San Simeon/Hearst Castle

San Luis Obispo

Big Sur

Carmel/17 mile drive/Monterrey

San Francisco

No matter where you stop along the way, the whole PCH drive is awesome.

I've done the PCH drive several times. It's truly amazing. These were some of my favorite places along the way..

San Juan Capistrano

San Diego (Old town)

Malibu

Santa Barbara

San Simeon/Hearst Castle

San Luis Obispo

Big Sur

San Francisco

hey I live in Monterey. :biggrin:

OH BTW you spelled monterey wrong :-P

San Juan Capistrano

San Diego (Old town)

Malibu

Santa Barbara

San Simeon/Hearst Castle

San Luis Obispo

Big Sur

San Francisco

Lucky Lady.

You've done that magnificent drive several times. Several more than the average Bear, my dear.

I gathered that's what you meant. :) And the truth is, I AM a lucky girl.. but for reasons other than my adventures along the PCH.

How come you are never nice to us? Are you and Verde butt buddies or something? and if so any pics of your encounters? inquiring minds await...

Yes, we are butt buddies. Pre-op butt buddies....so it's a little awkward, but we manage.

Archived