Rangers lose Orr, sign Donald Brashear

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ny-spcolton0702,0,4071573.story

The Rangers lost their enforcer when NHL free agent season began on Wednesday, but didn't wait long to replace him.

Shortly after Colton Orr left town, signing a four-year, $4-million deal with Toronto, the Rangers inked winger Donald Brashear to a two-year, $2.8 million contract. Brashear earned $1.4 million

Brashear, 37, has been one of the NHL's most feared tough guys for the better part of two decades. He's been at the center of controversy, too, including a late hit to the head on Rangers center Blair Betts during last year's playoffs that knocked Betts out of the series and earned Brashear a six-game suspension.

The lefthander played 63 games for Washington last year, notching one goal, three assists and 121 penalty minutes.

I'm glad to have Brashear on our side, but I still think he is a scumbag for the hit that he put on Blair Betts.

Sucks to lose Orr, but Brashear got the better of him in that series anyways. It is an upgrade.

I'm glad to have Brashear on our side, but I still think he is a scumbag for the hit that he put on Blair Betts.

Sucks to lose Orr, but Brashear got the better of him in that series anyways. It is an upgrade.

Agreed Bashearis one nasty SOB. The Rangers got tougher.

Time to swallow the pride Frank and root for him. I will always kind of hate him for what he did to Betts, but, he's a Ranger now. Kind of like when Damon came to the Yanks. Move on, embrace it and hope he helps us on the road to a Championship.

Archived