SJ Reviews: 'Public Enemies'..Old fashioned crime yarn worth the 'time' (3)

SouthernJet

Public Enemies, the story of Americas 1930's Robin Hood and the G-Man who caught him, Melvin Purvis is a solid old fashioned crime flick.

Dillinger was a enigma back then as the press spun tales of his common man traits, leaving cash for the patrons of banks he robbed etc. But as all tales, he was also a cold blooded killer.

This movie has some slow spots, I wont lie, but the cinematography is outstanding and has a very noir 1930s look and feel.

The cast of Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard, Giovanni Ribisi, Billy Crudup and Stephen Dorff are very nicely meshed with Cotillard stealing film IMHO.

Story wise, its pretty basic, Dillinger is famous bank robber, Purvis is hotshot GMan who caught Pretty Boy Floyd. The fledgling FBI with J Edgar Hoover needs a big splash to keep its footing .So Hoover promotes Purvis to Chicago office ot catch Dillinger. The rest is well, intrigue, chases, escapes, betrayal and well you need to see the film (most I am sure know the end).

Its a good movie, not even close to Godfather standards for those into these type flicks. But its done nicley by Directot Michael Mann (Miami Vice) and I think you will be enntertained.

Depp never lets you down acting wise and its nice ot see Bale get areal script after that disaster in Terminator.

Have fun. FYI,,2 hours 20 minutes.

3 stars_002.gif's

Caught this tonight, and really enjoyed it.

I was a little surprised that they didn't explore the notion that it wasn't actually Dillinger that was shot outside of that theater.

Looking forward to this movie. That whole era is fascinating.

Knew the Dillinger story, but didn't know that there was a possibility that it wasn't Dillinger killed outside the theater.

Thor - any sources or info on this? I'd love to hear more about it.

Public Enemies, the story of Americas 1930's Robin Hood and the G-Man who caught him, Melvin Purvis is a solid old fashioned crime flick.

Dillinger was a enigma back then as the press spun tales of his common man traits, leaving cash for the patrons of banks he robbed etc. But as all tales, he was also a cold blooded killer.

This movie has some slow spots, I wont lie, but the cinematography is outstanding and has a very noir 1930s look and feel.

The cast of Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard, Giovanni Ribisi, Billy Crudup and Stephen Dorff are very nicely meshed with Cotillard stealing film IMHO.

Story wise, its pretty basic, Dillinger is famous bank robber, Purvis is hotshot GMan who caught Pretty Boy Floyd. The fledgling FBI with J Edgar Hoover needs a big splash to keep its footing .So Hoover promotes Purvis to Chicago office ot catch Dillinger. The rest is well, intrigue, chases, escapes, betrayal and well you need to see the film (most I am sure know the end).

Its a good movie, not even close to Godfather standards for those into these type flicks. But its done nicley by Directot Michael Mann (Miami Vice) and I think you will be enntertained.

Depp never lets you down acting wise and its nice ot see Bale get areal script after that disaster in Terminator.

Have fun. FYI,,2 hours 20 minutes.

3 stars_002.gif's

Thanks SJ for the review. I've wanted to see it, now I officially can. :sign0098:

Caught this tonight, and really enjoyed it.

I was a little surprised that they didn't explore the notion that it wasn't actually Dillinger that was shot outside of that theater.

well that would have gone in a whole other direction..

mainstream hoillywood usually stays away from those other theories in these type pics

Archived