BBQ Tips & Tricks

Vudu

So I finally bought a grill but I have absolutely no idea how to BBQ. Im awful at it. I refuse to sully my sophisticated pallet with sub par bbq, even if I am the chef. I had the most amazing BBQ yesterday, chicken, steak, shrimp, the whole nine and I want to learn how to do itmyself. I usually just throw some chicken/steak on the grill but it never comes out finger licking good, its usually charred to hell. So what tricks do you BBQ connoisseurs use. Marinade suggestions, recipes, tricks & tips are most welcome. I would Google, but following recipes aren't the same as hearing it from ppl who are good at it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I finally bought a grill but I have absolutely no idea how to BBQ. Im awful at it. I refuse to sully my sophisticated pallet with sub par bbq, even if I am the chef. I had the most amazing BBQ yesterday, chicken, steak, shrimp, the whole nine and I want to learn how to do itmyself. I usually just throw some chicken/steak on the grill but it never comes out finger licking good, its usually charred to hell. So what tricks do you BBQ connoisseurs use. Marinade suggestions, recipes, tricks & tips are most welcome. I would Google, but following recipes aren't the same as hearing it from ppl who are good at it.

BBQ is one of those feel type things. You either have the skills or don't. The key is to use tenderizers, marinate the meat in the fridge for a few hours, season and grill.

Do you have a gas grill or charcoal.

BBQ is one of those feel type things. You either have the skills or don't. The key is to use tenderizers, marinate the meat in the fridge for a few hours, season and grill.

Do you have a gas grill or charcoal.

Gas. I have to put those lava rocks in it.

Gas. I have to put those lava rocks in it.

Don't turn over the meat every 10 seconds. Let the meat cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. I personally like my meat to be a little pink in the middle, no pun intended. But you have to make sure you cook the meat all the way through. Buy a thermometer, it helps.

I concur.

You can get flavor by using sauces, but you really enahnce the flavor by marinating it before cooking.

If your gas grill has two burners (or two sides with their own knobs within the same burner) you can eliminate charring by using indirect grilling. After you preheat the grill, turn off one side and put the meat on that side. Run the other side on high. this way, the grease that renders from your meat does not drip onto flames and cause flare ups.

Don't put sugary sauces on the meat until the very end. Better yet, use it for dipping after the meat is off the grill. It'll burn if given a chance.

If your gas grill has two burners (or two sides with their own knobs within the same burner) you can eliminate charring by using indirect grilling. After you preheat the grill, turn off one side and put the meat on that side. Run the other side on high. this way, the grease that renders from your meat does not drip onto flames and cause flare ups.

Don't put sugary sauces on the meat until the very end. Better yet, use it for dipping after the meat is off the grill. It'll burn if given a chance.

This is true.. you really have to keep an eye on the sugary sauces.

Any marinade suggestions?

Tenderizer is a must too, especially for a steak. There is nothing worst then chewing leather. As far as marinades go, try to keep it simple, no need for mixing up a chemistry experiment. Try different things, be bold. Sometimes I use simple BBQ or teriyaki sauce as marinades. Remember, use a tenderiser.

Maui Mountain Teriyaki marinade is amazing stuff.

Awesome stuff guys! Thnx

the best way to BBQ Bron-Zee is to get a boyfriend who knows how to do it for you (barbequing that is). Some things are best left up to the men. My wife is forbidden to TOUCH my grill

Baloney I would put Mrs. Slowmoes BBQ cooking against any man my self included anywhere -- I cook some but she is the master when it comes to grillin -- I have native Texans praise her for her pulled pork/ribs and anything else she cooks - and shes from western NY. :cheers:

the best way to BBQ Bron-Zee is to get a boyfriend who knows how to do it for you (barbequing that is). Some things are best left up to the men. My wife is forbidden to TOUCH my grill

LOL

I've heard other guys say that as well.

when grilling steak, brush on some extra virgin olive oil the last 2 minutes, 1 minute on each side, it gives it a great finishing touch, then make sure you let the steak cool for a few minutes before serving. Add a touch of seasalt for flavor

amazing

Here are some basic tips which have done me well over the years:

1. Make sure you have pre-heated your grill at the highest setting. Once the grill is hot, take a metal brush and scrape the grates. Next, put a little oil on a paper towel, and using metal tongs, rub the oil on the grill. You now have a seasoned grill which will prevent sticking.

2. Keep things sanitary, especially your hands, cutting boards, platters and utensils. Never put cooked items--especially meat--on the same platter on which you have brought them to the grill.

3. When cooking steak, make sure you let the meat sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes to a half hour. Meat is a muscle, and putting cold meat from the fridge right onto the grill will make it clench and get tough. I never marinate my steaks (a personal preference, but feel free to marinate if you wish) Right before grilling, I add a liberal amount of kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, and if I'm in the mood, finely chopped fresh rosemary. Next, sear the steaks on high heat until nutty brown on both sides. (Let the meat cook without turning. It will release easily from the grill when it has caremelized and made a crust.) Now you have a choice: Either turn down the grill temperature to approx. 300 degrees to finish cooking the steaks to your liking (off direct heat), or place them in a pre-heated 300 degree oven to achieve the same thing. Once they are cooked, resist the temptation to eat them right away. Put them on a clean plate and tent with some foil for five minutes or so. This allows the juices to go back into the center of the meat. If not, the juices will run out onto your plate, making the meat dry.

4. Most people cannot cook chicken without charring it. It's a thick meat, which requires you to be able to have knowledge on how to establish direct and indirect heating zones on your grill. I always encourage people to coat the chicken with the sauce/rub of your liking, place it in a pan, then cook it in the oven slowly (350 degrees) until its internal temperature reaches 160 degrees for breasts and 170 degrees for dark meat. Then, re-coat it with sauce or a simple glaze (maple syrup or apricot preserves as an example), and finish it on the grill to give it that grill taste and sheen. You'll never serve burned or pink chicken again.

5. After cooking your items, Get your grill as hot as possible to burn off the fat and remnants of your cooking. Then scrape the grates again. In this way, you have a clean surface for the next time, and your yard will be rodent free.

6. Finally, invest in an instant read food thermometer and learn the cooking temperatures fore various cuts of meat.

Here are some basic tips which have done me well over the years:

I never marinate my steaks (a personal preference, but feel free to marinate if you wish) Right before grilling, I add a liberal amount of kosher salt,

agreed, I never marinate steak, try seasalt, it's awesome

4. Most people cannot cook chicken without charring it. It's a thick meat, which requires you to be able to have knowledge on how to establish direct and indirect heating zones on your grill.

good point, I also always cook chicken in one of those basket deals, makes it soooo much easier

004691916242042026c912c6.jpg

LMFAO. Wouldnt that be selfish to get a boyfriend for the sole purpose of grilling for me? What if he actually wants to stick it in once in a while? What do I do then? *barf*

agreed, but I still suck at grilling fish ! any tips would be most welcome

The best way is to grill the whole fish. Failing that: As always, make sure your grill is hot and seasoned, only grill thick fillets of dense fish, put a nice coating of oil or pan spray directly onto the fish before placing on the grill, and don't turn it until it has crusted.

agreed, but I still suck at grilling fish ! any tips would be most welcome

The best way is to grill the whole fish. Failing that: As always, make sure your grill is hot and seasoned, only grill thick fillets of dense fish, put a nice coating of oil or pan spray directly onto the fish before placing on the grill, and don't turn it until it has crusted.

I'm no grilling expert. I have a teeny Weber here. I use that Italian charred wood-not briquets and their old school lighter fluid. Taste is awesome, but it's very difficult to get the grill consistent. I grilled a couple of swordfish steaks Friday night and they were awesome. Their a a nice dense fish for grilling. Wife marinated them, but I can't remember what she used.

I love lecherous Italian men!

Yay!

Archived