Top 5 Qb's

JustInFudge

Pretty bored and tought this would be fun to actually talk Football. Figured we could do a different position each week to keep some Football talking going. This is based off what I think will happen in 09.

1) Peyton Manning

2) Tom Brady

3) Drew Brees

4) Phil Rivers

5) Big Ben

Peyton takes the number 1 spot for me because I dont know what Tom will be like coming back from injury. Most Qb's just dont seem the same after serious knee injuries, Carson Palmer and Daunte Culpepper are 2 recent examples that were playing Top 5 ball and fell off big time. Big Ben wouldnt have been there last year but after a 2nd SB, he is on my list.

Honor Mentions

Kurt Warner

Donovan McNabb

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
124's picks are:

1. Brady

2. P.Manning

3. Roethlisberger

4. Brees

5. Ryan

Ryan is an interesting choice. He played well last year but he wasnt really asked to do much. It would be tough for me to put him in the top 10 to be honest.

And why are you answering for 124?

1. Tom Brady - The stats, the rings, the performances. Unquestionably the best when 100%.

2. Peyton Manning - Would maybe have a shot at #1 if he wasn't a choke artist in the playoffs

3. Ben Roethlisberger - 2 rings and exceptional play in the clutch with his team. He has played in a great situation but he's sure as hell made the most of it.

4. Drew Brees - The fact that he hasn't actually won anything or done anything noteworthy in the playoffs hurts him. Great passer with ridiculous accuracy but needs to win more games.

5. Phillip Rivers - I really didn't like him up until the end of last season, since then he's played an elite level.

Honourable mentions - Kurt Warner, Eli Manning and even Matt Ryan

Ryan is an interesting choice. He played well last year but he wasnt really asked to do much. It would be tough for me to put him in the top 10 to be honest.

You quoted the wrong person:(

Ryan played at a ridiculous level last season for a rookie. It's not necessarily true that he wasn't asked to do much, yeah their offense centred around Turner but when Ryan was asked to step up he responded well every time.

I actually think he was one of the top 5 QB's in the games last season in terms of performance - The scary thing is how good he may become. He was the best rookie since Marino and even he didn't play a full season like Ryan.

Ryan played at a ridiculous level last season for a rookie. It's not necessarily true that he wasn't asked to do much, yeah their offense centred around Turner but when Ryan was asked to step up he responded well every time.

I actually think he was one of the top 5 QB's in the games last season in terms of performance - The scary thing is how good he may become. He was the best rookie since Marino and even he didn't play a full season like Ryan.

Not to mention his new toy in Tony Gonzales. The Falcons are going to be scary good this year unless Ryan has a significant drop off from last year.

I'm just not willing to say that he is a top 5 Qb. It was his rookie year, it was very impressive. And Im not decrediting anything he did, but there were a lot of other Qb's playing better then him toward the end of the year that werent even on my list.

What is with Jets fans and the tendency to do this with players? 1 year and you are comparing the guy to Marino, jeez. I just said this in another thread, we have the quickest fans to throw someone in the HOF and just as quick to call a player a bust.

1) Tom Brady - Best QB in NFL History will own this spot for the foreseeable future.

2) Big Ben - Really stepped up last season and became one of the game's clutch performers.

3) Peyton Manning - Always dangerous although I'm expecting a mediocre year from the Colts.

4) Kurt Warner - Can he do it again? He has the weapons but somehow I can't help feeling that he's going to slip back to the land of mediocrity.

5) Everyone else - There's a big dropoff after the Big 3 with a handful of guys capable of brief moments of greatness but none of them seem consistent enough to warrant inclusion on this list. Brees, McNabb, Rivers, and Romo all are capable passers but all must prove they can win the big games and carry their teams deep in the playoffs before I officially give them Top 5 status.

1) Tom Brady - Best QB in NFL History will own this spot for the foreseeable future.

2) Big Ben - Really stepped up last season and became one of the game's clutch performers.

3) Peyton Manning - Always dangerous although I'm expecting a mediocre year from the Colts.

4) Kurt Warner - Can he do it again? He has the weapons but somehow I can't help feeling that he's going to slip back to the land of mediocrity.

5) Everyone else - There's a big dropoff after the Big 3 with a handful of guys capable of brief moments of greatness but none of them seem consistent enough to warrant inclusion on this list. Brees, McNabb, Rivers, and Romo all are capable passers but all must prove they can win the big games and carry their teams deep in the playoffs before I officially give them Top 5 status.

Why would you put him at #4 then? Just wondering

1) Peyton Manning

Still holds the qualitative crown for "most cerebral NFL QB", a claim I would agree with. No QB has more control over an offense, and no QB has had more consistent success compared to his contemporaries.

2) Tom Brady

Brady is more of a "1b" than 2, but then again, he will need to shake off the rust from his season-ending knee injury last year. Will he be as dominant as he was in 2007? Probably not, but he and Manning remain the only two "elite" QB's in the league.

3) Drew Brees

OK, so he didn't have as great of a season as many expected last year. So what. Other than the above, he's the most poised QB in the game, and its not as if he has the greatest WR's in the game to turn to on a given Sunday.

4) Kurt Warner

A borderline Hall of Famer, Warner can be just incredible at times. He put up the longest consecutive 300-yard games streak in league history, and despite the fact that teams KNEW the Cardinals were pass-heavy, no one could shut him down last year. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Boldin situation, but Fitzgerald may be enough.

5) Ben Roethlisberger

Two Super Bowl titles (under 2 different coaches) simply doesn't lie, and this time around, Ben was one of the big reasons why they won it. No longer the exclusive pound-it-out on the ground team they were under Cowher, Ben has been given a bigger load under Tomlin, and he was absolutely clutch when the team needed him most. He makes the top 5 for this reason.

Honorable mention: Donovan McNabb, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer

Why would you put him at #4 then? Just wondering

Good question. I'd say b/c he's a winner who's earned the right to be included. He had an excellent season and playoff run and until his play falls off he deserves to remain in the Top 5. Unlike guys like Brees and Rivers, Warner has proven he can get it done in the playoffs.

I agree with the Kurt Warner talk and was going to put him in top the 5 over Rivers, but I am just curious to see if he can keep it going in 09. I was more basing my judgements off of what I thought was going to happen in the upcoming season. So he just barely didnt make it in my eyes...but I cant really argue against it. Since the end of 07 and all of last year, he has been playing as well if not better then anyone in the league.

P. Manning. I hate the guy at times and he has had some horrible big games, but he's the best pure passer in the game imo.

Brady. Has won with some not so good WR corps, yet get's Moss and Welker and loses the big one? Funny how things work that way. Still a calm, cool QB who knows how to win.

Big Ben. Say what you want about his stats but always remember to look up his stats with the game on the line in the last few minutes as well. Trying not to be too homerish, but this generation's John Elway imo.

Phil Rivers. This guy should get SD a SB win sooner or later imo. Screw that side-armed stuff, he can flat out find a way to win and should mature.

Brees. Puts up the numbers but winning will ultimately determine his place imo.

Honorable mention:

Eli. I know, i know mediocre numbers yadda yadda. But the guy has this poise and presence about him. Tell me you wouldn't take him on your team if ya didn't have any of the above QB's or Brees ??

1. Brady-The most clutch QB with a knack to keep on winning. Funny what StillerPaul said about Brady winning SB's without good WR's then they get Moss and Welker and have yet to win a SB with them.

2. P Manning- Phenomenal QB, but he's night and day in the playoffs.

3. Brees- Best QB playing right now without a SB.

4. Big Ben-His performance last SB was sensational and I think it showed he's taken his game to a higher level.

5. Warner- Had his ups and downs but he can still perform at a high level. (but having two outstanding WR's can help with that too.)

1. Tom Brady

2. Ben Roethlisberger

After that there is a huge drop.

Huh???

You honestly think Big Ben is a better Qb than Peyton Manning. And you believe that so much that you would even go to the length of saying there is HUGE drop off between Peyton and Big Ben.

I'm sorry, but that is crazy talk.

Archived