OK, you are the HC of the NYJ

Larz

and the QB battle in TC is a flat out tie. Both guys play well, but it's an even race. Neither guy has an obvious edge in performance

who do you start and why ? what is your plan ?

I start KC

I start KC because in an even race, I can get away with starting him for a month or two then hand the team over to mcdreamy, which is my ideal scenario.

I want mcdreamy to see how an NFL week goes as far as preperation, and how NFL defenses disguise coverages before he starts

What the JETS are paying mcdreamy doesn't dictate that he starts, to me, it means you must maximize his chances of growing into a success long term

so what happens if the team wins with KC ?

then he plays

the worst case scenario is we wind up casselling him

I also am hoping we start Clemens Larz-I'd rather start the season with an experienced signal caller who has won a few NFL games and already knows the offense-especially going up against an up-and-coming Houston team and the Patriots right out of the box. IF OTOH Clemens flops then hand the reigns over to the kid. It's a no-brainer to this football fan.

and the QB battle in TC is a flat out tie. Both guys play well, but it's an even race. Neither guy has an obvious edge in performance

I start KC

I start KC because in an even race, I can get away with starting him for a month or two then hand the team over to mcdreamy, which is my ideal scenario.

I want mcdreamy to see how an NFL week goes as far as preperation, and how NFL defenses disguise coverages before he starts

What the JETS are paying mcdreamy doesn't dictate that he starts, to me, it means you must maximize his chances of growing into a success long term

then he plays

If it's an even race at this point, I start Sanchez. I think that should say a lot about how quick Sanchez is learning or how bad Clemens seeing as this is his 3rd year in Shotty's system.

I think they should split up the preseason games when you have Sanchez start first one game and Clemens start another. I say that mainly so everyone can see how they do against first string competition. Ravens, Giants, and Eagles all have good defenses, so maybe by splitting their playing time against these 3 teams first stringers, we can really see how they've developed.

If Clemens is not far ahead of Sanchez by then end of preseason, then Sanchez should be the day 1 starter.

And i doubt Clemens has much trade value unless he really lights it up.

I go with Kellen.

He knows the play book better and has live experience. He has a better rapport with the WR's and the Oline.

It makes sense to let Sanchez sit since we arent forced to throw him to the wolves right out the gate. Give him sometime to see what its like from the sideline to see what an NFL game looks like and then if Kellen falters, you throw him in there and let him take the bumps and bruises of learning how to be a QB at the next level.

I start KC

then he plays

I think a close competition is Rex Ryan's worst case scenario. There will be pressure on him from Woody to start the kid and he's on record as saying that he is not scared of starting a rookie based on the success they had with Flacco in Baltimore last year.

If I were the HC, Clemens is the starter in a close competition just based on his experience advantage over Sanchez. I just don't think that's how it plays out in reality. Clemens will have to really outperform Sanchez to win the job.

Edited by Klecko73isGod

I think a close competition is Rex Ryan's worst case scenario. There will be pressure on him from Woody to start the kid and he's on record as saying that he is not scared of starting a rookie based on the success they had with Flacco in Baltimore last year.

If I were the HC, Clemens is the starter in a close competition just based on his experience advantage over Sanchez. I just don't that's how it plays out in reality. Clemens will have to really outperform Sanchez to win the job.

This is probably the truth. A close competition is most likely going to go to the kid that they traded up to get in this years draft.

When he was drafted, Sanchez was miles behind Clemens in the race for the starting job since he has never played a down in the NFL and didn't know the offense. If we get to the regular season and they are tied, you have start Sanchez based on how far he would have had to come to be tied with a guy that has had 3 years in the system already. Learning and improving that much in such a relatively short period of time would make it a no brainer that you start Sanchez.

• Upvote 3

When he was drafted, Sanchez was miles behind Clemens in the race for the starting job since he has never played a down in the NFL and didn't know the offense. If we get to the regular season and they are tied, you have start Sanchez based on how far he would have had to come to be tied with a guy that has had 3 years in the system already. Learning and improving that much in such a relatively short period of time would make it a no brainer that you start Sanchez.

Good point. I would have said Clemens, but I didn't really consider this the way you put it.

I think Clemens will win the job, but it's more of a hunch based on their relative experience than confidence in Clemens at this point.

Great post and excellent point. Very nice to see an original perspective on this.

yea SH but throwing a TD in OTA's against the likes of James Ihedigbo is tantamount to Brett Ratliff doing it against future Cleveland UPS drivers last summer-at least we know that Kellen Clemens knows how to win an NFL football game or 3

yea SH but throwing a TD in OTA's against the likes of James Ihedigbo is tantamount to Brett Ratliff doing it against future Cleveland UPS drivers last summer-at least we know that Kellen Clemens knows how to win an NFL football game or 3

I think SH is assuming they will both get equal shots against first teamers in the preseason. ;)

The whole "starting a rookie week one" debate has ebbed and flowed depending on league trends. Guys like Brady Quinn and Aaron Rodgers waited and look like pretty decent prospects, but Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were thrown into the fire and looked solid. I don't think there is one right answer in how you deal with the situation.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I were Coach Ryan, but I would agree that if they're performing evenly (probably the real-life case), you go with Sanchez. If Clemens is out-performing Sanchez, start Clemens.

I HOPE Sanchez starts day one because that will mean that he is worthy of the job over a guy we know is probably going to be a clipboard carrier for a long time. Not to mention, I have a lot of VBookie points bet on Sanchez starting. :lol:

Been through this debate not long ago, myself. Cowher was going with Tommy Maddox the better part of '04 had it not been an injury in week 2 forcing Ben to play. Obviously, it panned out for us. But had he played Maddox all year? Eh, who knows how it would have played out.

I say start Sanchez if he shows promise and can grasp the playbook quickly enough.

I'm shocked by the number of people choosing Clemens.

If a rookie and a four year veteran end up tied during a QB competition, you pick the rookie and don't think twice about it. The veteran should be embarrassed that he let a rookie even come close to matching him in a system he knows like the back of his hand.

If Sanchez has the ability to pick up the system and the speed of the game in such a short time frame, the organization and fans should be ecstatic and he needs to start from day 1.

I'm shocked by the number of people choosing Clemens.

If a rookie and a four year veteran end up tied during a QB competition, you pick the rookie and don't think twice about it. The veteran should be embarrassed that he let a rookie even come close to matching him in a system he knows like the back of his hand.

If Sanchez has the ability to pick up the system and the speed of the game in such a short time frame, the organization and fans should be ecstatic and he needs to start from day 1.

You and some others have put it this way which puts it into a different perspective. If Sanchez is basically at the same level as Clemens he should start. Clemens should severely outplay Sanchez if he's to get the starting role. This is a good situation for a young QB to be in... all we're missing is one tall explosive WR. We have a good O-line with a good run game.

Excellent point. Also, I am not a big believer in how much a QB learns on the sidelines versus real playing time. I think when rookie QBs start and it is a disaster, it is often a situation where they did not have the huge advantage of playing behind a solid o-line, with a good running attack and defense, or they just plain suck (in which case you want to find that out as soon as possible).

The Jets have the kind of team that should ease the burden on a rookie QB. I think Sanchez starts.

I start KC

then he plays

I would start "The Sanchez".

If its really a flat out tie and Clemens has been in the system going on 4 years then in my eyes he just let a rookies with a combined 16 college starts beat him out of a job. Which is fine, this would show me that Sanchez has not only the physical ability but the mental ability to absorb a system that Clemens been in for 3 years.

My impression would be that Clemens has hit his ceiling. I would put sanchez out there at the begining instead of having Clemens go in there and with this schedule possibly go 1-4 and then try to put Sanchez in to salvage the season.