Tim Wakefield

Gainzo

All-Star.

No matter what anyone thinks about the guy he is team first and never complains about his role. He has been moved to the bullpen and left off playoff rosters in the past.

Yankee fans love him for giving up that 700 foot HR to Boone in the 2003 playoffs but have to respect the guy for what he does.

Is this a lifetime achievement award? Maybe it is, but Wake deserves it. He should have been an All-Star in 1995.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only time I've ever been to Fenway, 1995, Wakefield started the game for the Red Sox. He did a great job in the 04 comeback. I still curse Joe Torre for not running on him and Varitek in extra innings of game 5.

The only time I've ever been to Fenway, 1995, Wakefield started the game for the Red Sox. He did a great job in the 04 comeback. I still curse Joe Torre for not running on him and Varitek in extra innings of game 5.

Any team can run on Wakefield all day long. Varitek did his best to lose Game 5 in 2004. He is a great catcher but the knuckleball makes him look like an idiot.

Wake is the definition of everything that is good about pro sports. I know this is blasphemy, as a Sox fan, but Jeter is the only other player that I have the utmost respect for in MLB.

Any team can run on Wakefield all day long. Varitek did his best to lose Game 5 in 2004. He is a great catcher but the knuckleball makes him look like an idiot.

Wake is the definition of everything that is good about pro sports. I know this is blasphemy, as a Sox fan, but Jeter is the only other player that I have the utmost respect for in MLB.

I agree about Wake. Good guy. The only other player I feel that way about is Mariano Rivera. Good guy.

I agree about Wake. Good guy. The only other player I feel that way about is Mariano Rivera. Good guy.

I wanted to mention him as well, but giving respect to 2 Yankees in one post was beyond me.

Remember opening day for the Sox in 2005? When they introduced Mariano Fenway went crazy and he waved and smiled. That was awesome.

I wanted to mention him as well, but giving respect to 2 Yankees in one post was beyond me.

Remember opening day for the Sox in 2005? When they introduced Mariano Fenway went crazy and he waved and smiled. That was awesome.

He actually tipped his cap. I laughed like hell.

Wake is the MLB version of a Jester

What a joke that he is considered an all star

Tim Wakefield is a class act and has carved out a very nice Major League career. He is putting together a very nice season and I think it was nice of Maddon to put him on the team. Were there guys with better numbers left off of the team? I would think so. Was there anyone more deserving. Not at all.

He was put on the team by the manager, which shows you the kind of respect that people have for him.

Which is more than I can say for you, JonE.

Wake is the MLB version of a Jester

What a joke that he is considered an all star

If he was a Yankee you would be on your knees begging him to put his dick in your mouth.

I know you hate all things Red Sox but Wake is the man. Can you give credit when its due?

I'm happy to see Wakefield make the All-Star Game. He's been in the league a long time and has been a solid pitcher. When the Red Sox starters were awful at the beginning of the year, he stepped up and pitched some great games. He deserves to be in St. Louis.

Just like Varitek deserved it last year.

What is it with all these ****ty Sox players making it to the all-stars?

Most Sox fans said Tek was undeserving last year so your argument doesn't hold water here.

If Wakefield is ****ty, I'd hate to hear what you think of Joba, Pettitte and the like.

Joba has a better era than Wake.

No Yankee starter deserves to make it into the all star game. I would have been fine with Lester in...but having Wake is stupid.

Wins don't mean ****. It's a stat dependant on your team's ability to put up points on offense.

Joba has a better era than Wake.

No Yankee starter deserves to make it into the all star game. I would have been fine with Lester in...but having Wake is stupid.

Wins don't mean ****. It's a stat dependant on your team's ability to put up points on offense.

All things being equal, Wake has been far more consistent then Lester this year. Lester has been lights out the last month, but the first month in a half you did not know if you were getting 8 IP with 2 ER and 10 Ks or 4 IP with 6 ER and 4 Ks.

Lester was the victim of bad luck in the beginning of the year with an absurdly high BABIP against him and a higher HR/9 rate. His K/9 rates are the best of his caree.

Wake is the equivalent of Andy Pettitte on the Yankees. Will give you innings and a 4.5 era but they is what they is. That's far from all star caliber. It's freaking embarassing that you give it to a guy with a 4.6 K/9, a 4.3 ERA and 1.354 WHIP.

BUT OMGZ HE DID WIN 10 GAMES!!!1

Lester was the victim of bad luck in the beginning of the year with an absurdly high BABIP against him and a higher HR/9 rate. His K/9 rates are the best of his caree.

Wake is the equivalent of Andy Pettitte on the Yankees. Will give you innings and a 4.5 era but they is what they is. That's far from all star caliber. It's freaking embarassing that you give it to a guy with a 4.6 K/9, a 4.3 ERA and 1.354 WHIP.

BUT OMGZ HE DID WIN 10 GAMES!!!1

Lester was guilty of pitching like crap for the first month and a half.

I have been a Sox fan for each of Wake's Sox' starts. I am a little surprised he made it, but poor run support is not why Lester is 7-6. That he gave up at least 5 runs in six different games is. If we were talking Lester's 7 starts, he is an all-star and Cy Young candidate. His ERA was over 5 into June. That was a month ago.

Guys like Tim Wakefield, Jamie Moyer, and the recently retired Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux are dying breeds; pitchers who never would have been drafted high or praised because of their inability to hit high numbers on the radar gun (although to his credit, Glavine WAS a lower-90s pitcher in his prime).

Congrats to Wakefield. I don't know if we'll ever see another knuckleballer again when he finally bows out.

Both aren't all-stars. And that's the point. Hell I'll even refer you to the SoSh thread that argues whether or not he deserves it.

Man you're dense.

Way to duck the question.

Why did a manager from a division rival put him on the team if he didn't deserve it?

Way to duck the question.

Why did a manager from a division rival put him on the team if he didn't deserve it?

Because RSN/ESPN/MSM still think 'wins' is a good stat to quantify whether or not someone is an all-star.

He. Doesn't. Deserve. It.

There's nothing about being 29th in the league in ERA and having a 3.49 K/9 that warrants an all-star appearance.

Take away the name "Tim Wakefield" and insert any other name in that place, everyone would be up in arms.

Because RSN/ESPN/MSM still think 'wins' is a good stat to quantify whether or not someone is an all-star.

He. Doesn't. Deserve. It.

There's nothing about being 29th in the league in ERA and having a 3.49 K/9 that warrants an all-star appearance.

Take away the name "Tim Wakefield" and insert any other name in that place, everyone would be up in arms.

Yet he was picked by another manager. :-k I think you're the dense one. :bag:

the only reason Wakefield is good is because he isnt embarressed to be the only pitcher in the MLB thats throws in the 50's... anyone can develope a good knuckle ball and be successful... plus i could take him out the park at least 2 out of 10 at bats so he doesnt impress me..

the only reason Wakefield is good is because he isnt embarressed to be the only pitcher in the MLB thats throws in the 50's... anyone can develope a good knuckle ball and be successful... plus i could take him out the park at least 2 out of 10 at bats so he doesnt impress me..

Actual major leaguers can't do it, but LilMiCKMANTLE can. I'm sold.

Archived