Harrison Thinks Reporters Shouldn't Vote On HOF

Lil Bit Special

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/08/harrison-thinks-reporters-shouldnt-vote-on-hof/

Former NFL safety Rodney Harrison, who'll be offering opinions later this year for NBC, already has been offering some intriguing takes about the game he played for so many years.

And we usually have found ourselves agreeing with him.

Most recently, Harrison has sounded off on the process for determining the folks who secure admission to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

This time around, we disagree with Harrison.

Harrison is clamoring for change because he fears that he won't get a fair shake via the current process, which puts enshrinement in the hands of 44 journalists -- one representing each NFL team and a dozen at-large members.

He shared his views with Nancy Gay of FanHouse, who holds one of the 44 ballots.

"Probably not," Harrison said of his chances for getting in, "because just look how the NFL has looked at me all these years. Ignoring my stats and my impact as a player and a teammate. Focusing on the negative.

"Do I believe I'm a Hall of Fame player? Absolutely. Will I make it in there? That's up to you guys. But I know that I did all I could do."[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/08/harrison-thinks-reporters-shouldnt-vote-on-hof/editor-content.html?cs=utf-8]

Harrison suggests a different approach for determining the folks who'll make it to Canton.

"I think [the selection board] should be made up of football archeologists, historians, personnel managers, people that know the game and have played the game,'' Harrison said. "No disrespect to you guys. Maybe, even a handful of reporters should be part of it."

But there are some problems with his proposed formula.

First, there are no "football archeologists" who'll be sifting through the rubble of Giants Stadium in search of Jimmy Hoffa's watch. The closest thing to "football archeologists" are the folks who cover the sport for a living, and who have done so for a long time.

You know, the folks who currently vote on who get in to Canton.

Second, and more importantly, Harrison is basing his perception that he won't make it to the Hall of Fame on the fact that, for example, he made it only to two Pro Bowls and that he consistently tops the list of the NFL's dirtiest players.

But the folks who determine eligibility for Canton determine neither of those things.

As to the former, players, coaches, and fans vote for the Pro Bowl rosters. As to the latter, the most commonly referenced list of the league's dirtiest players comes from a player poll conducted by Sports Illustrated.

So changing the rules won't necessarily get him in -- especially if any of the players and coaches who kept him out of the Pro Bowl and/or the players who consistently called him the dirtiest player in the league have a voice in the new procedure.

Frankly, it's unknown whether the 44 folks who vote on membership in the Hall of Fame will reach the same conclusion. But it's not as if the media has shunned him. Harrison twice was named an All-Pro by the Associated Press, and he once was named to the AP second team.

Of course, the fact that he is now calling for the voters to be stripped of their privileges likely won't cause any of them to give him the benefit of the doubt when the time comes to consider whether he deserves enshrinement notwithstanding his reputation among his peers -- and his four-game suspension in 2007 for HGH use.

and the link to the original article:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/07/07/rodney-harrison-demands-your-respect/

Question: without looking at stats, does John Lynch belong in the HOF. Your gut reaction to this question from what you remember about Lynch as a player.

My initial reaction was, Yes.

My initial reaction would be borderline. He was around for a very long time and he was good at one point. However, I remember that for a while he was just getting by on name recognition alone.

My initial reaction would be borderline. He was around for a very long time and he was good at one point. However, I remember that for a while he was just getting by on name recognition alone.[/QUOTE]

Towards the end, yes.

But he was sought out by teams wanting to make a playoff run.

Is your xmas tree up yet?:lol:

Personally the system I would like is one vote for each living current member in the HOF.

Either that or by current players and coaches.

I don't like that. Most former players don't know ****.

See Deion Sanders. He knows defensive backs, but he would have no business voting other positions. The guy never fails in making himself look like a dumbass on NFL Gameday on NFLN.

Personally the system I would like is one vote for each living current member in the HOF.

Either that or by current players and coaches.

Most current young players don't know **** about the history of the game.

I think who gets into the Hall of Fame should be solely dictated by me.

Rodney is awesome and 100% correct as usual. Eff the media...which he is now a part of. Good thing too. Bring some honest candor, Rodney!

I hated Rodney when he played for the Chargers and loved him as a Patriot.

Outside of the Chargers and Patriots fanbases nobody knows what a nice guy he was off the field. He wanted to kill people on the field and help people off the field.

I have some serious man love for #37.

I hated Rodney when he played for the Chargers and loved him as a Patriot.

Outside of the Chargers and Patriots fanbases nobody knows what a nice guy he was off the field. He wanted to kill people on the field and help people off the field.

I have some serious man love for #37.

I have love for him too. But I'm a hetro girl. You piddle young boys like 124. I win! :)

I think Harrison will eventually be in the HOF.

My reasons:

1. Hes the only current SS with at least 30 sacks and 30 Ints. Bob Sanders and Polamalu will likely surpass him but he was the first.

2. He has 2 Super Bowl rings and if you really want to get down to brass tacks, Harrison deserved to be SB39 MVP.

3. Harrison was on 4 Super Bowl rosters. Though he was a rookie in 94, he did recover a fumble in that SB.

4. Harrison was an integral part of some great defenses. The NE 2003 defense, some of the 90's SD defenses. When you think about those SD teams, 2 players come to mind, Jr Seau and R Harrison.

5. He played whistle to whistle and sometimes beyond. You never wondered if Harrison was dogging it. Players like him are sort of rare IMO.

I would have the same opinion of Harrison if he was a NY Jet.

Rodney is awesome and 100% correct as usual. Eff the media...which he is now a part of. Good thing too. Bring some honest candor, Rodney!

Garb, he's wrong.

He's basing his comments on the fact that he's only been to two Pro-Bowls and has been routinely named the NFL's Dirtiest Player by Sports Illustrated.

But, as the article points out, players, coaches, executives and fans vote for the ProBowl and the SI poll is a poll conducted among players.

So, in other words for those not paying attention and those too stupid to grasp the concepts (i.e. Rodney Harrison and Pats fans:) the exact people who Rodney Harrison wants voting on the Hall of Fame think even less of him than the media does.

I think Harrison will eventually be in the HOF.

My reasons:

1. Hes the only current SS with at least 30 sacks and 30 Ints. Bob Sanders and Polamalu will likely surpass him but he was the first.

2. He has 2 Super Bowl rings and if you really want to get down to brass tacks, Harrison deserved to be SB39 MVP.

3. Harrison was on 4 Super Bowl rosters. Though he was a rookie in 94, he did recover a fumble in that SB.

4. Harrison was an integral part of some great defenses. The NE 2003 defense, some of the 90's SD defenses. When you think about those SD teams, 2 players come to mind, Jr Seau and R Harrison.

5. He played whistle to whistle and sometimes beyond. You never wondered if Harrison was dogging it. Players like him are sort of rare IMO.

I would have the same opinion of Harrison if he was a NY Jet.

:roll: I seriously doubt that.

Question: without looking at stats, does John Lynch belong in the HOF. Your gut reaction to this question from what you remember about Lynch as a player.

My initial reaction was, Yes.

Both Lynch and Harrison are extremely overrated.

The problem is who should decide? We can't let players do it or they'll start voting in their buddies(like how Phil Rizzuto made the baseball Hall voted by the vets committee). Harrison was a really good player, I don't think HOF good but he's worthy of discussion.

rodney was caught cheating.....just like the scumbag cheating organization he played for. cheaters shouldn't be honored.

Archived