jets QB in 1970's dies in fire .. JJ Jones..

gg

:( i had that fb card.

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-070909-deadlyfire,0,66478.story

UNIVERSITY PLACE - Q13 FOX News has just learned that a former NFL player is among the dead in a house fire in Pierce County.

Family and friends identify the man as J.J. Jones, also known as John Jones. He played for the New York Jets in the 1970's. His best friend tells Q13 FOX that Jones was one of the first three African-American quarterbacks in the NFL. He says Jones was third string when Joe Namath was the quarterback.

47972615.jpg

Credit: www.nyjets.com

Fire officials continue to investigate this suspicious fire. The fire broke out around 2 a.m. Thursday morning at a home at 5508 64th Avenue West in University Place. Fire crews say the flames were pouring out of the home and even lit some of the surrounding trees on fire. They quickly put out the flames.

Shortly after, sheriff's deputies found a male body inside the house in the family room area. The woman was found upstairs on the 2nd floor. Both victims has not yet been officially identified by authorities.

47972299.jpg

John Jones football card

The nephew was detained by police shortly after 9am Thursday. He is being questioned.

According to court documents, a restraining order was filed against the 23 year old man by his aunt (the victim). Authorities say he was acting in a threatening way with his pitbull outside the home. He fought with officers who tasered and shot him with bean bags.

Due to the timing of the protection order being filed and this fire, authorities are calling this incident suspicious.

Court documents obtained by Q13 FOX News reveals a troubling home life for the female victim. The female victim wrote, "(Name of nephew) has threatened me very many times and is very defiant, disrespectful to me. It is the truth that I am a prisoner in my own home."

She urged, "Tell my nephew (name) to give me my computer bag and never to use my laptop computer or come to the house or take the dog or come and destroy my property and belongings."

She also urged him to participate in a mental health treatment program and to take his medicine. Family members confirm to Q13 FOX News that the man has a history of mental illness.

Family and friends say the male victim is from Tennessee. He moved to the area in the mid 1990's to help out his best friend. The female victim was from Uganda and moved to the US in the 1970's.

i looked on espn and SI and nothign about him..

i think it is so sad that are veterans can die, and no one gives a sh!t.

this guy was a pioneer.

i wont go on and on .. but i will bump this so people can see ..

ok.. not that any of you read it (ha) .. but i blogged about it..

http://sports-yenta.blogspot.com/

i just think we need to remember.. and before it is too late ( which in this case it is)

thanks for putting it on the front page max. :)

i really hate that we lose touch with our history.

I wasn't online all day, I saw this thread this morning and was really upset to hear this news.

RIP JJ Jones.

anybody catch sportscenter or whatever the news is on nfl.com.. ANY mention of J.J. ?

i hope someone caught something.. because i know he wasnt well known, but he deserves a mention.

sigh...

i found his card last night..

anybody catch sportscenter or whatever the news is on nfl.com.. ANY mention of J.J. ?

i hope someone caught something.. because i know he wasnt well known, but he deserves a mention.

sigh...

i found his card last night..

Still alot of discussion on local tv here. Very Very Sad. Even more sad that a former Jet was in the community here, and I was unaware.

as was woody hayes..avoid espn classic

If these comments were indeed made public, how the hell does ESPN give that prick a job? I dont care if it was a sign of the times, racism is racism.

Archived