Gridiron Gab Shows ONCE AGAIN, We Get NO Respect

SoFlaJets

New York Jets 2009 Preview

June 29, 2009 by Andy Benoit

Two things in pro football excite the media (especially the rabid New York media): a brash, garrulous head coach, and a sexy, high-profile quarterback. The 2009 New York Jets offer both. The coach is longtime NFL assistant Rex Ryan, one of the most respected and creative defensive innovators in today

one note; Did YJF write this?

What's so bad about this? I thought it was pretty factual all the way through.

I don't think this defense can carry a team for 16 games either. Not without a legitimate pass rusher. And Ryan doesn't have Ed Reed to rely on here.

Things will be better next year, but this year will be a continual work in progress.

What's so bad about this? I thought it was pretty factual all the way through.

I don't think this defense can carry a team for 16 games either. Not without a legitimate pass rusher. And Ryan doesn't have Ed Reed to rely on here.

Things will be better next year, but this year will be a continual work in progress.

I could not agree more NC... there is going to be a learning curve on defense not to mention the growing pains of a rookie quarterback. Lets not forget the growing pains as a first year head coach as well.

This season comes down to the passing attack. Can Mark Sanchez flourish right away, and can this commonplace receiving core elevate to a level of acceptability? The defense lacks a premium pass-rusher, but Rex Ryan is crafty enough to fashion pressure schematically. It’s not quite a defense rigid enough to carry the team for 16 weeks, though. And with a developing offense, that’s probably what it’ll have to do.

Everybody seems to love this macho, smashmouth, run the football down the opponents throat kind of offense, but the reality is that the best offenses in the NFL generate twice the yards and scores passing that they do running the football. A team with a rookie QB, no #1 WR (really a solid #2 and a few #4's) can't expect to compete with the big boys. Maybe Sanchez and Clowney are a revelation, but it's not likely.

The best defenses smother an opponents running game, making them one dimentional, then back it up with pressures, interceptions, and sacks. Like the offense, the Jets defense might be able to to the run stuffing part (depending on Kris Jenkins' back), but they lack anything resembling a consistent pass rush, and they're unsettled at what will be an extremely busy #2 CB spot.

As is, the Jets are built to be a very small margin of error team. They need their running game to possess the football and keep the dee off the field. The dee needs to keep the opponents points down because the offense is not built to come from behind ever. And with the lack of depth that results from trading away draft pucks and winning all the offseason contract competitions, they have no room for injury, either.

This is a year for Ryan and Sanchez to grow, and hopefully Gholston to develop. They should've made WR a major priority in this draft rather than spending three picks on a backup RB, but that's a lesson for another day. They'll need to address that position with another splashy first round move or big FA deal next year.

I guess what I find "wrong" about this is the prediction of us and a 4th place finish

All that said, I agree. Last place in the AFCe is reserved for the fish. The Jets will beat them twice this year. The Bills are the wildcard*.

I mean wildcard in the where the Jets finish in the division, not wildcard in the playoffs.

All that said, I agree. Last place in the AFCe is reserved for the fish. The Jets will beat them twice this year. The Bills are the wildcard*.

I mean wildcard in the where the Jets finish in the division, not wildcard in the playoffs.

I'm not into preseason predictions, as I think the NFL is the most unpredictable of leagues (witness Atlanta and Baltimore last year). But does it really matter if the guy picks us 3rd or 4th if he thinks we're not making the playoffs?

I can see why we're predicted so low... we have no real gamebreakers on offense (Leon doesn't command the respect of DCs the way Moss or Adrian Peterson does) and our defense is really an unknown, especially with Pace out for the first 4 games.

The only thing I'm interested in is results. But that has to be tempered with reality, and thinking we're going to be 8-8 or better with this offense is delusional, IMHO.

I guess what I find "wrong" about this is the prediction of us and a 4th place finish

I think its going to be a tough season for Jet fans. Just being honest here.

My reasons:

1 Lack of depth. Injuries are just part of the game and if a key player goes down its going to leave a huge hole. Already there is worry about filling Paces spot.

2. WR position. Perhaps post 6/1 cuts NY will sign a suitable replacement for Coles, but as of today the NY WR corps is paper thin.

3. QB. I'll put money down that Sanchez will be the starter by game 8. I think he will struggle, but hes not going to learn and get better unless he plays and takes his lumps.

Overall, I believe the NY players will play hard for Ryan and genuinely like him.

JMO

it's funny how he points out rookie HC/rookie QB had success last year, then ranks us 4th

lol

hey, I like it this way, the boys seem to spit the bit when the media starts throwing roses at them

I didn't find that review particularly humorous. The success seen in Atlanta and Baltimore was an aberration. That's not typical of what usually happens in this league. I thought the writer actually did a great job of pointing out the Jets strengths, weaknesses, and question marks. It truly falls on the QB in NY. If he comes out way ahead of the curve, then the Jets can be successful but if he has a typical rookie season then the Jets probably will find themselves in the basement.

Archived