Franchise Rankings

RichardSeymour

How would you rank the top ten franchises (or more if you want to) in the super bowl era of the NFL? Other than the Jets of course who for purposes of this argument (and to try to avoid a ****ing match) we'll assume are unquestionably the greatest.

Ranking should be based on a combination of winning, playoff performances, superbowl appearances & wins. Memorable players or moments can be considered, optionally. How exactly you want to weight things is up to your opinion and judgment.

Remember, anything prior to SB I and that season ('64?) is excluded. I'd rather not have people putting the Bears over the 49ers and the Browns over the Cowboys on this list.

Off the top of my head and doing zero research I'd rank them this way...

1. Cowboys-- 5 Lombardis, a dynasty, and consistant high quality.

2. 49ers-- 5 Lombardis, unparalelled length of dominance.

3. Steelers-- 4 Lombardis, Best "tight" dynasty, all those AFCC appearances

4. Raiders-- 3 Lombardis, high win %, consistant quality. The b*st*rds.

5. Patriots-- 3 Lombardis, three other fairly high peaks

6. Packers-- 3 Lombardis, yawning chasm between Starr and Favre hurts

7. Redskins-- 3 Lombardis, 1 playoff season in last 12, strike year win hurts

8. Broncos-- 2 Lombardis, many SB berths

9. Dolphins-- 2 Lombardis, consistant winning

10. Giants-- 2 Lombardis, not as consistant as Miami

A fairly literal read on it I guess, since it stacks up neatly on SB wins, but plenty of room for argument.... and it gets interesting if you rank the next 5-10 teams as well.

Another feeble attempt to praise the Pats and Sh#t on the Jets.

Total bullsh*t Smizz.

I agree with you that the Jets should be in the top 3, especially with the GREAT job Hermy has done the last 3 out of 4 years LEADING them to the playoffs.

What a great post-season history that the Jets have. :o:o:o

I think it's a great topic, but the standards are a little vague, IMO. RS, I think you have to make another division for when the salary cap era began. It's just an entirely different league now. If you did that, I'd place them as franchises this way:

Cowboys

Packers

Niners

Steelers

Redskins

Raiders

The Pats and Jets would be down there with the Chargers and Cardinal, unofrtunately.

Now, post salary cap, It's like this:

Pats

Denver

Steelers

Minnesota

Everyone else

I think it's a great topic, but the standards are a little vague, IMO. RS, I think you have to make another division for when the salary cap era began. It's just an entirely different league now. If you did that, I'd place them as franchises this way:

Cowboys

Packers

Niners

Steelers

Redskins

Raiders

The Pats and Jets would be down there with the Chargers and Cardinal, unofrtunately.

Now, post salary cap, It's like this:

Pats

Denver

Steelers

Minnesota

Everyone else

Excellent point TS.

No way can you compare pre-salary cap teams to the teams of today.

I think you short-sighted the Steelers on your pre-salary cap rankings.

Model franchise with great results.

The Bills would have to be in the top 10.

They didn't get the Lombardi, but they went to four Super Bowls and completely dominated the AFC for a long time.

I always forget the Bills. My bad. John Butler was a genius, and Ralph Wilson is a great owner.

Tex, also good point about the Steelers. I knock them down a bit because they knowingly let their team go to sh*t after their Super Bowl run. Yes, they have the worst market support in the league next to Arizona, but they didn't even compete for a long time afterward. Just sad. Actually, the same could be said of the Pack. It's sad how ownership can dictate how piss-poor their team is going to be.

OK RS here we go.

I can't do this based on which all time team would win head to head because the game has changed so much over the last 75 years or so. So I just ranked franchises over those 75 years and here I go:

1) Steelers - 4 titles and 3 decades of consistent success.

2) Cowboys - 4 titles but over 3 decades fielded championship quality teams.

3) Raiders - 3 titles but it seems they are always fielding a competitive team.

4) 49ers - 5 titles but only really 2 decades of success.

5) Packers - 3 titles but had otehers before the merger.

6) Dolphins - 2 titles but from 70 - 03 it seems like they were in the thick of it every year.

7) Broncos - 2 titles but very respectable and in the thick of it for a lot of years.

8) Redskins - 3 titles would be top 3 on this list if it were not for Snyder, imo.

9) Patriots - 3 titles, one appearance in 85 but they were also an embarassment in that decade as well. Since 96 consistent winners.

10) Giants - 2 titles also had success before the merger. terrible in the 70's and early 80's.

I had trouble with not placing the Bills or the Vikings on the list.

I'd almost like to see your next 10

11. Bills

12. Vikes

13. Rams

14. Eagles

15. Bears

16. Colts/Ravens

17. Chiefs

18. Jets

19. Oilers/Titans

20. Bucs

The 90's Bills are a perfect example of a team that would be shredded in the salary cap era. Didn't they have double-digit Pro-Bowlers on year?

I think it is fair to say that a lot of the teams that had small but consistent windows of 5 years of success in a row (ie: Bills) would have been torn apart.

I think it is fair to say that a lot of the teams that had small but consistent windows of 5 years of success in a row (ie: Bills) would have been torn apart.

This is why you have to give the Pats credit. They were the ones to figure out how to play and win in the salary cap era. Have 3-4 guys that you atually pay, and then construct a system where you can plug in replaceable players. The Pats might lose Bruschi, who may be their best defensive player, and they aren't even flinching. Imagine what Jet-land would look like right now if, God forbid, Vilma had to retire tomorrow? We'd be predicting 4-12. The Pats? They say "oh well".

I'd almost like to see your next 10

11. Bills

12. Vikes

13. Rams

14. Eagles

15. Bears

16. Colts/Ravens

17. Chiefs

18. Jets

19. Oilers/Titans

20. Bucs

I think this would be it if I had to do another 10.

This is why you have to give the Pats credit. They were the ones to figure out how to play and win in the salary cap era. Have 3-4 guys that you atually pay, and then construct a system where you can plug in replaceable players. The Pats might lose Bruschi, who may be their best defensive player, and they aren't even flinching. Imagine what Jet-land would look like right now if, God forbid, Vilma had to retire tomorrow? We'd be predicting 4-12. The Pats? They say "oh well".

That and there would be a million trade for Ray Lewis threads.

Come on Fish, you know me better than that.

Just busting JonE's chops a little bit.

Let me think about my complete list.

I know bro, but I actually AM interested in where you would rank everybody.

After all, not everyone here thinks your a ignorant troll-shaped Brady blowing lunatic Pats fan.... :lol::lol::lol:

Archived