Rosenthal on Halladay: Watch out for Phils & Yanks;Jays are open to in-division Trade

PS17

I saw something online that the Jays may consider Joba/Hughes (I prefer Joba), Austin Jackson, and Austin Romine.

Doc

CC

Burnett

Andy

Wang

Doc

CC

Burnett

Wang

Hughes

We get to keep one of Hughes/Joba, and Jesus Montero. If that's the case then I say definitely give Toronto a call to try and get something done.

I saw something online that the Jays may consider Joba/Hughes (I prefer Joba), Austin Jackson, and Austin Romine.

Doc

CC

Burnett

Andy

Wang

Doc

CC

Burnett

Wang

Hughes

Agreed. I'd much rather hang onto Hughes than Joba.

I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but does anyone think that Cliff Lee might be a better option for us. Maybe we'd be able to keep both Hughes, and Joba, and just trade people like Jackson, Romine, and McCutchen. All basically prospects. What do you guys think?

That's not a far-fetched idea. You would be giving up less to get Lee.

I think the Yankees need to go out and get a starter anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with him.

That's not a far-fetched idea. You would be giving up less to get Lee.

I think the Yankees need to go out and get a starter anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with him.

We could then move Joba back to the bullpen once his innings count is all the way up, then I guess move Hughes back to the rotation after that, and eventually have a rotation like

CC

Lee

Burnett

Wang

Andy

Hughes

Then for the postseason, move Hughes back to the bullpen for the 7th inning, Joba for the 8th, and Mo for the 9th. Game becomes 6th inning game... LOL

Am I thinking too far ahead? lol

I love Doc, let me state that.

I don't want him. We'd have to give up too much. We are already thin on prospects at infield and outfield positions. The Santana trade was a heralded move for the Mets but it stripped their farm system and they are paying for it now as they can't be real contenders in any trade unless they're giving up some key guys. Not that I think it was a bad move, I'm using it as an illustration that if you're thin in the farm that if you tap yourself up you might kick yourself for it.

I have no problem giving up Joba, but I want to keep Hughes and I do want to keep our prospects.

It's tempting no doubt. I can see reasons and would understand the trade but JMO I'd rather we didn't.

I don't want him. We'd have to give up too much. We are already thin on prospects at infield and outfield positions. The Santana trade was a heralded move for the Mets but it stripped their farm system and they are paying for it now as they can't be real contenders in any trade unless they're giving up some key guys. Not that I think it was a bad move, I'm using it as an illustration that if you're thin in the farm that if you tap yourself up you might kick yourself for it.

I have no problem giving up Joba, but I want to keep Hughes and I do want to keep our prospects.

It's tempting no doubt. I can see reasons and would understand the trade but JMO I'd rather we didn't.

That's exactly why I brought up Cliff Lee. Maybe there is a chance we could get that guy without giving up Hughes, Joba, or Montero.

I should get to Hank somehow, and tell him to pick up Lee instead... lol

That's exactly why I brought up Cliff Lee. Maybe there is a chance we could get that guy without giving up Hughes, Joba, or Montero.

I should get to Hank somehow, and tell him to pick up Lee instead... lol

I don't always see eye to eye with you but frankly Lee isn't a terrible option... buy low. I don't feel we NEED a move. But if the FO is antsy to do something I'd rather see us move for Lee then Doc. It's hard for me to say that because Doc is my absolute favorite non-Yank.

We could then move Joba back to the bullpen once his innings count is all the way up, then I guess move Hughes back to the rotation after that, and eventually have a rotation like

CC

Lee

Burnett

Wang

Andy

Hughes

Then for the postseason, move Hughes back to the bullpen for the 7th inning, Joba for the 8th, and Mo for the 9th. Game becomes 6th inning game... LOL

Am I thinking too far ahead? lol

I'd love to see that bullpen in the playoffs. Has the potential to be like the good ol' days.

Good points made throughout. Halladay is 32 and has a history of injuries. Still, it is a very tempting move.

I personally think for both the Yankees, and Boston it's going to cost more then just 3 players.

I heard Joba/Hughes, Jackson, Romine for the Yankees, but I honestly feel some more people would have to be added to get this guy. Probably not someone like Montero, but maybe someone like McCutchen, or Ivan Nova in it as well. Along with a Mark Melancon too.

Otherwise I just don't see why Toronto would trade him to either New York, or Boston.

Cliff Lee makes so much sense for the Yankees, because Cleveland is definitely in a rebuilding mode, and there is a pretty good possibility it wont have Hughes, or Joba in it to get him.

:face: :face: :face:

Can we drop this please? Roy Halladay is not getting traded from the Blue Jays to the Yankees. Ever. Of course Toronto wants everyone to think that the Yankees are in the running. That's the smart thing for them to do to ensure they get the best possible offers from teams that actually have a legitimate desire and chance of acquiring him.

This is getting out of control with the media on the Yankees. At least this nonsensical talk can end once the trade deadline comes, unlike the Joba-to-the-bullpen crap that never stops.

:face: :face: :face:

Can we drop this please? Roy Halladay is not getting traded from the Blue Jays to the Yankees. Ever. Of course Toronto wants everyone to think that the Yankees are in the running. That's the smart thing for them to do to ensure they get the best possible offers from teams that actually have a legitimate desire and chance of acquiring him.

This is getting out of control with the media on the Yankees. At least this nonsensical talk can end once the trade deadline comes, unlike the Joba-to-the-bullpen crap that never stops.

Nor should it stop.

wow...you guys have soured on joba huh?

which is ridiculous....the guy is only 23...has potential to be a lethal bullpen arm at best and a decent back of the rotation guy at worst. I never saw this guy as an ace and since he isn't living up to the hype he is getting dumped on. I still think Joba will be an excellent replacement for Rivera when he retires.

Yanks should not concern themselves with Halliday. Offer to take Wells as part of the deal and move some pieces around in order to make an offer that does not include Joba or Hughes.

They will save the money anyway to go after the Cuban left-hander, which is a better option, at 21 all he will cost is money.

Roy is already what? 32 years old?

The Jays want top of the line type of talent for this man, nothing less.

Jaba and Hughes would both have to be in the deal because Roy is that damn good...They Jays will demand two prospects (Because thats all they are as of right now) Two pitching prospects in Hughes and Joba along with Austin Jackson.

Hughes

Joba

Jackson

For a 32 year old in Roy... In 3 years, when Roy is considered to be an old man, those 3 guys could be carrying the Jays on their back.

I'm not a Yankees fan, but I would love for them to over pay for this guy while giving up great prospects at the same time.

The Yanks would have to give up some good, young talent to pull that off. I don't see the Blue Jays allowing themselves to get fleeced like the Yanks typically do to their trade partners, because the trade itself is going to be a massive public relations hiccup North of the border. I don't see the Yanks being willing to give up some of their young talent in exchange for a 32 year old guy with an injury history.

Roy is already what? 32 years old?

The Jays want top of the line type of talent for this man, nothing less.

Jaba and Hughes would both have to be in the deal because Roy is that damn good...They Jays will demand two prospects (Because thats all they are as of right now) Two pitching prospects in Hughes and Joba along with Austin Jackson.

Hughes

Joba

Jackson

For a 32 year old in Roy... In 3 years, when Roy is considered to be an old man, those 3 guys could be carrying the Jays on their back.

I'm not a Yankees fan, but I would love for them to over pay for this guy while giving up great prospects at the same time.

Oh boy, it ventured into the Baseball forum. You're all doomed now. :box:

Archived