If you were Shotty

stoicsentry

You are Shotty. You know that no additions will be made to this current offensive roster. You have a couple months to get to work.

The question: what would you do about the inevitability of teams stacking the box against us? Any interesting/creative ideas here?

You are Shotty. You know that no additions will be made to this current offensive roster. You have a couple months to get to work.

The question: what would you do about the inevitability of teams stacking the box against us? Any interesting/creative ideas here?

He'll do what he always does: grumble to the media as the "unnamed source" that management/the head coach/the players have somehow sabotaged Schottenheimer's brilliant game plans.

If I were Schotty, I would thank my lucky stars that I am for some reason considered an elite coordinator and future head coach, despite the fact that I've showed little imagination in my three years on the job.

HEY! He put 56 on the Cardinals once!

If I were Schotty, I would thank my lucky stars that I am for some reason considered an elite coordinator and future head coach, despite the fact that I've showed little imagination in my three years on the job.

Yeah right...Marty's boy showed a great ammount of imagination in 2006...We had two rookies on the O-Line along with Clement as our starting RT (Never seen a starting RT as horrid as Clement) And guess what? He made the most of it with formation shifts, movements before every play...He made something out of nothing with Chad Pennington leading the way into the playoffs.

What are you talking about? He was GREAT with his play calling in 2006.

2007? How could he? We had two career backups starting on the O-Line...Pennington got hurt...Kellen Clemens was nothing more than ah below average QB and Coles was banged up and missed 5-6 games. We had no run game because we had no O-Line...What could he do with that Offense? Nothing.

Last year...Don't blame Shotty Jr for Favre not wanting to learn anything more than just calling the play and snapping it without taking the time and effort to make pre-play adjustments...

wow

Yeah right...Marty's boy showed a great ammount of imagination in 2006...We had two rookies on the O-Line along with Clement as our starting RT (Never seen a starting RT as horrid as Clement) And guess what? He made the most of it with formation shifts, movements before every play...He made something out of nothing with Chad Pennington leading the way into the playoffs.

2007? How could he? We had two career backups starting on the O-Line...Pennington got hurt...Kellen Clemens was nothing more than ah below average QB and Coles was banged up and missed 5-6 games. We had no run game because we had no O-Line...What could he do with that Offense? Nothing.

Last year...Don't blame Shotty Jr for Favre not wanting to learn anything more than just calling the play and snapping it without taking the time and effort to make pre-play adjustments...

wow

Get with it, Troll. As Bleed4TheGreen so eloquently laid it out, Schotty was good three years ago, and has two more years with a "Get Out Of Competence Free" card. This year, his motto is "No Excuses, (Unless I Need An Excuse)"

HEY! He put 56 on the Cardinals once!

I think BS ( funny initials, huh? :) ) will use more west coast-like principles this season. I'd love to see the old pro-set make a comeback: Washington and Jones ( shades of McNeil and Hector ) with Keller at TE, Cotchery and Stuckey/Smith/Clowney running shallow slants and stop routes. That ought to give Sanchez/Clemens plenty of options with short, quick throws or checks to running plays. Traditional football with safe throws that are basically running plays to supplement a 35-40 rushes a game.

wow

Our offense SUCKED in 2006. ABSOLUTELY SUCKED.

We got to the playoffs based on our defense.

wow

This is a copy cat league, therefore I would try to bring our own version of the Wildcat into the offense. No, not by using Brad ****ing Smith, but by using Leon Washington and Thomas Jones, as well as a speed WR like David Clowney. Smith can be sprinkled in, but the majority of it should be ran by Washington. Make him earn the 4 year, $28-32 million deal he desires.

considering the goal of running the ball is so you can get the defense to commit more guys to the run to open up the P/A game, I don't think this is what is keeping shotty up at night

I think he's more worried they will play straight up or keep a guy back in deep center field

points come from the passing game, not the running game

Our offense SUCKED in 2006. ABSOLUTELY SUCKED.

We got to the playoffs based on our defense.

wow

Well...I would think our offense would suck with Pennington, Cotchery (1st year starter),Barlow-Blaylock, two rookies on the O-Line along with Clement as our starting RT. Um...Yeah.

Our passing game was ranked 17th (With what we had, we could have been ranked 30th)

Our rushing attack was ranked 20th, I wonder why (Just go check the O-Line) Common sense.

Our Offense ranked 17th in TD's and once again...With the lack of talent we had...We could have been ranked 32nd....

Yeah...I'm sure our Defense "Led us to the playoffs"

You mean the Defense that was ranked 20th?

You mean the Jets defense that was ranked 14th against the pass?

Or what about the Jets Defense that was ranked 24th against the run, allowing over 130 rushing yards per game? That Defense?

We were ranked 9th in sacks of all AFC teams (We were ranked 3rd behind the Steelers and Titans last year)

Thats 2006 Defense only allowed 18 points per game, but still...It was simply UGLY at times.

Am I saying that "Marty's boy" was the reason why we made the playoffs? No. But lets not sit here and act like he didn't make something out of NOTHING...Because he did

Well...I would think our offense would suck with Pennington, Cotchery (1st year starter),Barlow-Blaylock, two rookies on the O-Line along with Clement as our starting RT. Um...Yeah.

Our passing game was ranked 17th (With what we had, we could have been ranked 30th)

Our rushing attack was ranked 20th, I wonder why (Just go check the O-Line) Common sense.

Our Offense ranked 17th in TD's and once again...With the lack of talent we had...We could have been ranked 32nd....

Yeah...I'm sure our Defense "Led us to the playoffs"

You mean the Defense that was ranked 20th?

You mean the Jets defense that was ranked 14th against the pass?

Or what about the Jets Defense that was ranked 24th against the run, allowing over 130 rushing yards per game? That Defense?

We were ranked 9th in sacks of all AFC teams (We were ranked 3rd behind the Steelers and Titans last year)

Thats 2006 Defense only allowed 18 points per game, but still...It was simply UGLY at times.

Am I saying that "Marty's boy" was the reason why we made the playoffs? No. But lets not sit here and act like he didn't make something out of NOTHING...Because he did

See bolded parts.

When you look at the scoreboard, beside the team names, it does not list yards, it lists points.

We had a top defense that year...I don't care how ****ing "pretty" it was.

Our offense blew. And, no, there was not a lot of talent there, but it's not like Schott got much out of what talent WAS there. He was impressive at first, but then teams figured out that we run a Brad Smith gimmick play on every third and short and he NEVER throws it. Schottenheimer, of course, never adjusted. And he DID have Leon Washington. Instead, after Leon broke out as the most talented player on the offense early in the season, Schotty kept feeding the ball to Barlow and Houston.

Ben Graham had a pretty good year, as a result.

See bolded parts.

When you look at the scoreboard, beside the team names, it does not list yards, it lists points.

If you go by that BS's O was #9 last year. That's despite an old fossil QB who handcuffed the O, came in late and unprepared, refused to learn the O and absolutely **** the bed down the stretch.

What I'd so If I were Schotty and teams put 8 in the box is simple. Throw the bomb. 8 in the box means single coverage with no safety help on one side. Send guys deep up each sideline. Bombs are the easiest throw to make. The QB won't be chicken arm, so maybe he can reach. Clowney can run, the question is can he stay healthy and get off the line against an NFL CB?

He'll do what he always does: grumble to the media as the "unnamed source" that management/the head coach/the players have somehow sabotaged Schottenheimer's brilliant game plans.

Hasn't he spoken to the media like...twice in his whole tenure here?

Oooooh...I didn't know he was the unnamed source. I thought those were players talking about how Mangini was holding them down? That just changes depending on which current/former Jets coach needs to be bashed?

If I'm Schotty I take away the 8 out of the box by spreading the field and the ball. We know we have at least 5 guys who've made some kind of significant play on the NFL field...or at least I think 5 though I realize many believe it's 3...4 tops...but yea...Cotchery, Keller, Stuckey, Leon, and Smith counts as 5 to me.

I expect surprsingly good results from our offense for some reason.

If you go by that BS's O was #9 last year. That's despite an old fossil QB who handcuffed the O, came in late and unprepared, refused to learn the O and absolutely **** the bed down the stretch.

What I'd so If I were Schotty and teams put 8 in the box is simple. Throw the bomb. 8 in the box means single coverage with no safety help on one side. Send guys deep up each sideline. Bombs are the easiest throw to make. The QB won't be chicken arm, so maybe he can reach. Clowney can run, the question is can he stay healthy and get off the line against an NFL CB?

One 56 point game tends to slightly skew the numbers.

It also doesn't take into account Leon Washington's return TDs.

PPG is a better stat for judging the defense, rather than the offense.

And, besides that, our offense was a hell of a lot more talented last year. We've lost our #1 receiver and our QB. Granted, neither were that great, especially the last month, but we replaced them with a.) No one, and b.) a rookie with 15 college starts. Plus, our offensive line was relatively injury free last year, and a repeat of that is unlikely. Fortunately, we have no ****ing depth on the offensive line, because Tanny likes to Redskin it on draft day.

One 56 point game tends to slightly skew the numbers.

It also doesn't take into account Leon Washington's return TDs.

PPG is a better stat for judging the defense, rather than the offense.

How can PPG be better for judging defense, rather than offense? It is the same thing.

If you think that a 56 point game skews an offensive PPG, then it also skews the defensive PPG for the opposing team. If a kickoff/punt return for a touchdown skews the PPG for an offense, then it also skews the defensive PPG for the opposing team.

Fortunately, we have no ****ing depth on the offensive line, because Tanny likes to Redskin it on draft day.

Though that has had its benefits.

If it were that simple to deal with, then you'd probably never hear the term 8 in the box and no offensive coordinator would even have to worry about it.

Stacking the box doesn't help you defend against 15 yard routes, a throw that every NFL Quarterback (even Penny) is able to make. It's just as much a receiver issue as it is a QB issue.

The biggest problem is when you combine a weak armed OR inexperienced quarterback WITH a sub par receiving core. Clowney might be fast, but we have no idea how much separation he is going to be able to get. If he can't get that separation then the bomb won't be scaring anyone. And the rest of our receivers (Cotch, Stuckey, Smith) aren't really deep threats to begin with.

I'll grant you that Brett hit Cotch on a few bombs during the season but remember this, we don't have Brett's arm on the field anymore... I'm not confident that Clemens or Sanchez can make the same throws.

We also don't have Coles on the field. So even if we've got receivers in a 1 on 1 situation next season Cotchery will almost always be the one with the best DB on him.

If it were that simple to deal with, then you'd probably never hear the term 8 in the box and no offensive coordinator would even have to worry about it.

Stacking the box doesn't help you defend against 15 yard routes, a throw that every NFL Quarterback (even Penny) is able to make. It's just as much a receiver issue as it is a QB issue.

The biggest problem is when you combine a weak armed OR inexperienced quarterback WITH a sub par receiving core. Clowney might be fast, but we have no idea how much separation he is going to be able to get. If he can't get that separation then the bomb won't be scaring anyone. And the rest of our receivers (Cotch, Stuckey, Smith) aren't really deep threats to begin with.

I'll grant you that Brett hit Cotch on a few bombs during the season but remember this, we don't have Brett's arm on the field anymore... I'm not confident that Clemens or Sanchez can make the same throws.

We also don't have Coles on the field. So even if we've got receivers in a 1 on 1 situation next season Cotchery will almost always be the one with the best DB on him.

I think it is that simple to deal with. It might not be that easy, but it's pretty simple. Stack the box and throw it over. Lay back and you run.

I'm not saying we'll have a ton of success, I'm saying that is what you do. If they have the safety up, then there is only one safety back. That means that Cotchery or the other WR will have single coverage. Cotchery isn't a great deep threat, but if he can't beat single coverage he's not as good as everybody here says. Keller can also go deep and without safety help, whoever is covering him will be in for a long day. I agree that Brett's arm will be gone and that will mean less deep balls, but I also hope it means fewer mistakes. Favre made some truly horrific choices last year, particularly considering the score, down and distance on some of those throws.

I think Schottenheimer will do what he wanted to all along. A ton of motion, empty backfields, no huddles. Those things were lost last year because Favre seemed to want to rip in there and I think he held on to the ball a bit long and never learned all the plays and checkdowns. Either that or Chad was the one actually orchestrating all that in '06, in which case we haven't been giving Penny enough credit.

Brett couldn't make those throws as the year worn on last year.

Schotty's fault.

Creative motions

Spread formations with Leon and Keller

Just some of the things we couldn't do with #4 last year because like they say...You cant teach an old dog new tricks who's turning 40 years old.

Favre wanted a vanilla approach as the QB...Call the play, hike the ball, no defensive adjustments. it was sad.

He wanted the offense simplified because he didn't have the heart to learn the play book and play the game the RIGHT way...He just wanted to "Stick it to the Packers" Too bad he didn't get to play for the Vikings last year, mayne now...He will put that "Extra effort" in during the two weeks that they play the Packers if he signs with the Vikings.

Cant wait to see this Offense this year without the old man...We have some new blood and an exciting Talent that has more than enough talent & potential to become our Franchise QB for years to come.

Steelers have Big Ben

Chargers have Rivers

Falcons have Ryan

Saints have Brees

Bears have Cutler

Giants have Manning

Packers have Rogers

It just feel good to say the Jets have actually have Mark Sanchez...A special talent whos in a great situation for a rookie QB.

I still need to see more from Russell and Edwards before I consider them Franchise QB's and something tells me Stafford has "Bust" written all over him because of the Lions O-Line along with the lack of any type of rushing attack.

Over the years...The Eagles have had McNabb, the Patriots have had Brady, the Colts have had Manning, the Cards have had Warner, The Benglas have had Palmer and the Packers had Favre for all of those years...When you have a FRANCHISE QB, you then have a QB that you can actually build a team around without having to worry about which QB should be drafted during the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds...I believe we have our Franchise QB in Sanchez.

We can now focus on drafting a talented WR with our 1st round pick next year, maybe even move up into the 1st round after the WR and snatch up the best 3-4 DE to replace Douglas/Ellis, maybe even draft a beast of an O-Lineman during the 2nd round to replace Woody as our future RT

This Jets team has a bright future

Archived