Detroit gets a close encounter.. i think GOB was flying this F-18

LiLMiCKMANTLE

DETROIT -- The excitement at the annual speed boat races along the Detroit river Sunday wasn't confined to just the water. A scheduled fly-over by an F-18 Navy jet was captured by a photographer and the picture is getting attention nationwide.

The picture shows the jet, turned sideways, zooming past a high-rise Detroit apartment complex. It appears to be very close to the building.

"It felt like the sky was falling," said tenant Carol Stover, who saw the jet. "I looked up and saw the jet and I was praying we weren't under attack."

The picture, which appeared in the Detroit News, New York Post and on the "Today" show Monday, was taken by Detroit News photographer Steve Perez.

"As I was going back to edit I saw it and it just kind of jumped out (at you)," said Perez. "It's one of those things that's just timing and luck."

Tenant Inez Brown watched the fly-over from her balcony on the 28th floor. "I didn't get the perspective that they were that close. I was like a kid in the candy store. I got a chance to see some professional fighter pilots in action and that's something you don't see everyday. They did some phenomenal maneuvers."

According to the military, the jet was actually about 200 to 300 feet away from the shoreline. Authorities said no one on the ground or in a building was ever at any risk.

Attached Imagesattachment.php?attachmentid=15472&stc=1&d=1247609255

I don't know about you but I'd be peeing in my pants if I saw that so close.

I'd love it, actually.

I've seen some of these shows - certainly not that close - at a now defunt military base in Mass. They were awesome.

I'd love it, actually.

I've seen some of these shows - certainly not that close - at a now defunt military base in Mass. They were awesome.

air shows are one thing but being so close that the pilot can actually moon u

is a different story...i will stick to sh1tting the bed

I'd love it, actually.

Low flying planes really frighten me. I don't even like being near airports. I have frequent reoccurring nightmares of witnessing horrendous plane crashes (which started happening long before 9/11).

Yeah that story was big around here, although the local media had to do their typical exhaustive search for 1 person out 1,000,000 who complained about how close it was and the infamous "What would have happened if"

The F/A-18 was in town for an one plane airshow over the Detroit River, right before the Gold Cup hydroplane races.

Low flying planes really frighten me. I don't even like being near airports. I have frequent reoccurring nightmares of witnessing horrendous plane crashes (which started happening long before 9/11).

Sorry 'bout that.

A really cool place, to me anyway, is the UMass Boston Campus. There is a grassy, beautifully landscaped area that jets out into Boston Harbor - you see ships, sail boats, etc - and you see these low flying planes approaching and departing Boston Logan Airport. It's awesome. Never understood how a student could study out there - too much daydreaming to be had :)

I think if GOB had been flying it, we'd have been reading about how a heavily armed Super Hornet bombed the crap out of Detroit.

Awesome picture.

Parts of Detroit look like they've already been bombed ;)

Archived