Vernon Gholston is...

villain_the_foe

He doesn't even SOUND like he wants to be good. That's the funny part.

Maybe he realizes he is on the wrong team. And is frustrated by the fact that he will never be good on the Jets.

I agree with the OP, he is out of position. He is a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 LB. Jets don't have the rest of the personnel to switch to a 4-3 defense. So this means he will remain out of position.

Then odds are after 2-3 of sucking on the Jets he will get released. But not get picked up on waivers because his pay is too high for someone who didn't start. Then he will negotiated a lower contract with a 4-3 team where he will go into camp to compete for the back up DE job.

Being in a job you know you can not succeed in causes frustration. Particularly if you know you can not succeed and your boss set you up to fail. Which is what Tanny did by drafting Gholston onto a 3-4 team and not letting him fall to to a 4-3 team.

It's way too early to call him a bust IMO. He's trying to learn one of the toughest college to pro position switches IMO and that takes time. As I've stated plenty of times, I've seen it with my own team many times. Most recent example would be Lawrence Timmons.

I get the argument that he'd be better DE in the 4-3 but none of us really KNOW that. It may be a tough position switch but it's not impossible. I'll go on record as saying you guys will see big improvement out of him this year.

As far as the manner of his interview, it has no bearing on how he'll turn out but i agree ya would like to see a little more fire.

I am willing to give him this season at least to prove to us he can play in our system. If Rex Ryan can't get the best out of a defensive player, then okay, he doesn't work for us.

But, considering his history with defensive players, I will give Gholston until the end of the season before calling him a bust.

I'm not convinced Mangini, after the collapse last season, revealing his inability to gameplan/scheme/coach at the nfl level, could have gotten the best out of him.

He doesn't even SOUND like he wants to be good. That's the funny part.

Dude, what are you talking about? Thats the funny part!

Just listen and watch Gholston in this interview before he was drafted...He "Sounds" like he LOVES the game of football if you ask me. He also knows alot about the game of football.

And why does he have to "Sound" like he loves the game of football with an interview that people READ over the computer?

Just watch these youtube hightlights...This kid has speed, power, quickness, strength....I'm not willing to call him a "Bust" after his rookie season while he was learning a new position...lol, crazy.

Watch those highlights V.G made for OSU and then say "Gholston doesn't love football" Sad man.

Just listen and watch Gholston in this interview before he was drafted...He "Sounds" like he LOVES the game of football if you ask me. He also knows alot about the game of football.

And why does he have to "Sound" like he loves the game of football with an interview that people READ over the computer?

Just watch these youtube hightlights...This kid has speed, power, quickness, strength....I'm not willing to call him a "Bust" after his rookie season while he was learning a new position...lol, crazy.

Watch those highlights V.G made for OSU and then say "Gholston doesn't love football" Sad man.

Don't bother.

It's obvious that Gholston hates football, hates the New York Jets, and personally hates all of us.

Seriously...I know it's the offseason and we're all bored, but can we stop psychoanalyzing Gholston? If he turns out good, he turns out good. If he doesn't, he doesn't. Nothing he says has anything to do with it.

If someone would like to have an actual football conversation (you know, about things like his skillset, or his performance in practice or in games), that would be awesome. I'm just sick of people reading interviews in mid-July and using them as the tail that wags the dog of his crappy performance last season.

Don't bother.

It's obvious that Gholston hates football, hates the New York Jets, and personally hates all of us.

Seriously...I know it's the offseason and we're all bored, but can we stop psychoanalyzing Gholston? If he turns out good, he turns out good. If he doesn't, he doesn't. Nothing he says has anything to do with it.

If someone would like to have an actual football conversation (you know, about things like his skillset, or his performance in practice or in games), that would be awesome. I'm just sick of people reading interviews in mid-July and using them as the tail that wags the dog of his crappy performance last season.

Well, it's ok...Because if anyone actually takes the time to WATCH and actually LISTEN to that interview of Gholston before the draft...They would actually see what type of person he is, they would never be able to say that he "Sounds like he HATES the game of football" They would never be able to say that B.S again because the fact of the matter is this...He doesn't "Hate" the game of football.

So... two days before he got drafted he was excited about playing in the NFL. Anybody here other than me and VG ever been excited about a new job before the interview but a year later hated the job and wanted to quit?

So... two days before he got drafted he was excited about playing in the NFL. Anybody here other than me and VG ever been excited about a new job before the interview but a year later hated the job and wanted to quit?

If he "hated" playing football...He wouldn't have went to EACH and EVERY OTA...You know, something that players don't have to attend, it they wish not to?

Also, if he "Hates" football...Would he have done over 5 interviews during the offseason? I mean...Lets get real here, who's making him do these interviews, Other than himself?

If he "hated" football...He wouldn't be trying so damn hard during the offseason to improve under Rex Ryan.

If he "hated" playing football...He wouldn't have went to EACH and EVERY OTA...You know, something that players don't have to attend, it they wish not to?

Also, if he "Hates" football...Would he have done over 5 interviews during the offseason? I mean...Lets get real here, who's making him do these interviews, Other than himself?

If he "hated" football...He wouldn't be trying so damn hard during the offseason to improve under Rex Ryan.

I have worked pretty hard to keep jobs I hated. And none of them paid over a million dollars a year.

You want to see him out there for some 4-3 with his hand on the ground?

Who do you think would make up that 4-3 mix?

I never said that we will be in a 4-3, and with Rex, we will show a variety of sets on the field. This still doesnt negate what I said earlier that Gholston is out of position. No matter the formation, why keep a guy in a position that he isnt exceling at? Just because we're in a 3-4? doesnt make much sense to me. You dont force players into a system, you base the system around the ability of the players. Rex Ryan does this extremely well.

It's way too early to call him a bust IMO. He's trying to learn one of the toughest college to pro position switches IMO and that takes time. As I've stated plenty of times, I've seen it with my own team many times. Most recent example would be Lawrence Timmons.

I get the argument that he'd be better DE in the 4-3 but none of us really KNOW that. It may be a tough position switch but it's not impossible. I'll go on record as saying you guys will see big improvement out of him this year.

As far as the manner of his interview, it has no bearing on how he'll turn out but i agree ya would like to see a little more fire.

Thank you Mr. Paul. This coming from a superbowl winning fan! :headbang:

I am willing to give him this season at least to prove to us he can play in our system. If Rex Ryan can't get the best out of a defensive player, then okay, he doesn't work for us.

But, considering his history with defensive players, I will give Gholston until the end of the season before calling him a bust.

I'm not convinced Mangini, after the collapse last season, revealing his inability to gameplan/scheme/coach at the nfl level, could have gotten the best out of him.

When there's doubt, there is no doubt. We all know that Gholston didnt get a fair shake at things last year. Granted, we dont like how he comes across on interviews, however, if this kid can be put in the correct situations that suits his level of play then he can be successful. How many times have we seen this from Rex? Im not saying that Rex will get it right all the time, but if he can get a undrafted player like Bart Scott to be a success, then I believe that if Gholston wants to be that type of player then Rex Ryan and the New York Jets is the right place for him right now.

Exactly, another thing that I've noticed about Gholston is that he makes plays, but he doesnt blow people up...which in the bigger picture is a good thing. He seems like he doesnt like to hurt people just to hurt them. He likes to make the play. What we've all seen from Gholston last year is him "holding up" on many plays, and I think its because of his nature and the fact that the game on the pro level is much faster than he realized, on top of the fact that his rookie year was basically his senior year. The kid is new to the NFL. I think that people like Bart Scott around will give this kid a shot of agression, however, I hope he maintains his ability to make a play without the need to blow a player apart because he sees the opportunity too. I think thats an honorable football player. I dont know man, I really believe in the young guys that we've gotten the past few years, (Washington, Keller, LOWERY!!!, Gholston, Sanchez, Greene etc.).

I think we want such great strides out of this kid too quick. It takes WR's that are actually good years to reach their potential on the pro level. Imagine a guy leaving school early making a massive transition from DE to LB from College to Pros and leaving a year early. I dont think his heart or his ability is the problem. The problem is he's out of position. I'd rather have him try do play DE in a 3-4 then LB in a 3-4, atleast he'll be familiar with the position which is half the battle. This kid has lost since he's been drafted outside of his contract, which if he stays out of position he wont even get.

Sometimes its not the players people, its management.

well said!!!...i agree 100%

On top of the fact that his rookie year was basically his senior year.

It takes WR's that are actually good years to reach their potential on the pro level. Imagine a guy leaving school early making a massive transition from DE to LB from College to Pros and leaving a year early.

Spoken like a real fan of the game and a man that knows the game of football while understanding that theres a huge learning curve from College to the Pro's. This is something that many of fans may not understand because when talking about Gholston, they don't act like it.

Instead of Gholston playing against college players last year with Ohio State...Gholston actually gained playing time, experience @ the NFL level and also experienced growing pains as an elite talent making the transition from college to the pro's while learning a new position @ the same time.

Last year, because of the draft rules or what not...Gholston didn't even have a chance to work with the Jets coaching staff for a full offseason of work-He missed alot of key time as a rooke (During the offseason). Also, here in 2009...He's been working with one of the best 3-4 Defensive minds to ever coach the game; Rex Ryan-A real 3-4 Defensive genious.

Put it this way...If Gholston were drafted here in 2009...He would have been a top 5 pick, hands down.

You must learn how to lose before you know how to win, those rookie struggles can do one of two things-Make or break you and I don't see Gholston giving up any time soon.

Instead of Gholston playing against college players last year with Ohio State...Gholston actually gained playing time, experience @ the NFL level and also experienced growing pains as an elite talent making the transition from college to the pro's while learning a new position @ the same time.

Last year, because of the draft rules or what not...Gholston didn't even have a chance to work with the Jets coaching staff for a full offseason of work-He missed alot of key time as a rooke (During the offseason).

While that may or may not be true.

Gholston is still a bust.

If you draft a guy in the 6th round and he spends a year on the bench and then his second year he is a decent special teams contributor and then his third year he starts, that is a quality pick.

If you draft a guy 6th overall and pay him what you pay Gholston he should be contributing year one otherwise if he needs to learn the game then he is not a first round pick but someone who should have dropped to a later round.

Spoken like a real fan of the game and a man that knows the game of football while understanding that theres a huge learning curve from College to the Pro's. This is something that many of fans may not understand because when talking about Gholston, they don't act like it.

Last year, because of the draft rules or what not...Gholston didn't even have a chance to work with the Jets coaching staff for a full offseason of work-He missed alot of key time as a rooke (During the offseason). Also, here in 2009...He's been working with one of the best 3-4 Defensive minds to ever coach the game; Rex Ryan-A real 3-4 Defensive genious.

Put it this way...If Gholston were drafted here in 2009...He would have been a top 5 pick, hands down.

You must learn how to lose before you know how to win, those rookie struggles can do one of two things-Make or break you and I don't see Gholston giving up any time soon.

Thanks for the compliment! I do honestly think that people are being too hard on him simply because his projection was astounding. He needs time to develop and really get his feet on the ground. Many of his issues can be coached, I dont think his issue is a mental lack of love for the game. Rex is going to coach him to what he is, not what people want him to be...(the next #56 lawrence Taylor). This is what Makes Rex so special, and If I believe that statement then I also believe that Gholston is going to make alot of non-believers, believers. (and watch how the fanbase just comes out of nowhere lol).

Archived