The Outdoors Thread

PatriotReign37

• 1 month later...

Last Saturday:

Taking my 2 young boys and the new canoe fishing -- priceless.

Quietly catching panfish in the cool fog of an October Michigan morning -- priceless.

Hearing Gunshots. Close gunshots. -- not priceless.

Finding out you're in a canoe, in shallow water, on the opening day of duck season -- NOT priceless.

Having a goose fly out of the weeds behind you, a hunter tromping in to the water after it, startling you and causing you to dump the canoe in 50 degree water. -- not priceless.

Having your soaked boys forgive you and laugh; and knowing they'll remember this day forever -- back to being priceless.

Last Saturday:

Taking my 2 young boys and the new canoe fishing -- priceless.

Quietly catching panfish in the cool fog of an October Michigan morning -- priceless.

Hearing Gunshots. Close gunshots. -- not priceless.

Finding out you're in a canoe, in shallow water, on the opening day of duck season -- NOT priceless.

Having a goose fly out of the weeds behind you, a hunter tromping in to the water after it, startling you and causing you to dump the canoe in 50 degree water. -- not priceless.

Having your soaked boys forgive you and laugh; and knowing they'll remember this day forever -- back to being priceless.[/QUOTE]

That's what it's all about Jerry. Glad you were all safe.

Bump for opening weekend of NY bow hunting in the south zone. Good luck to who ever goes out.

I'm not gonna make it. Tennis elbow vis acting up and I'm having a big time problem making a smooth draw. Good luck to you, Be safe out there.

My favorite outdoor activity, ever, was snorkeling in Aruba. It was amazing.

Closer to home, I enjoy camping and fishing, but my wife and daughters don't love camping so much, so I don'e get to do it very often.

Life doesnt get much better than camping and fishing.

Where do you go? NY state?

• 5 months later...
Opening Day of NJ Trout tomorrow. Good Luck to anyone who goes out.

I use this lure every spring and its absolutely is a trout magnet.

BF-ClassicPlated.jpg

I think it imitates a certain kind of early nymph rising to the surface after hatching. Never tried it back in Mass or NH though.

I use this lure every spring and its absolutely is a trout magnet.

BF-ClassicPlated.jpg

I think it imitates a certain kind of early nymph rising to the surface after hatching. Never tried it back in Mass or NH though.

I was killing them today on a golden Panther Martins.

Me and my 8yr old, last May. Literally caught them within seconds of each other. He was hopping a weedless frog over the lily pads, I was using a sinking soft plastic worm in the weeds.

161.jpg

Me and my 8yr old, last May. Literally caught them within seconds of each other. He was hopping a weedless frog over the lily pads, I was using a sinking soft plastic worm in the weeds.

161.jpg

Nice pic. You can't put a pricetag on memories like that.

I have kind of a funny outdoor adventure story. I have an older 21' Wellcraft V20 that I go out in the Raritan bay and sometimes offshore if it's calm. My girlfriend decided she wanted to come with me Striper fishing last October. It was a cold, dreary day and the chop was pretty bad. Get the boat out without a hitch, power out about 200 yards offshore and backed off to idle to go ahead and start plotting my waypoints to spots I wanted to fish. Get everything set and realized the boat wasn't running (it's a very quiet engine). Thought that was odd, but it started right back up no issues. I look at her and give her that reassuring wink and a smile when I clearly saw the anxiety setting in on her. Motor on out another 100 yards or so and the engine cuts again. I look over at her and clearly see she is freaking internally. I reassure her again and turn the key, engine isn't starting. I check hoses, fuel lines, kill switch, everything I can think of at the time with her having a full blown panic attack. Did I mention th chop was pretty bad? I crank it a few more times and it starts back up. She looks at me right away and says "If you still want to go fishing please bring me back to the docks first, I'll wait in the car". Lucky for her I had already decided internally that I was headed back. (She confided in me later that jumping off the boat and swimming to shore had crossed her mind at this point, not a great idea in 55 degree water when your 3-400 yds offshore).

After numerous stalls headed back in we were finally within 200 feet of the dock and it was running. I knew I was running out of luck so I had to get it to the dock at a fairly high clip. I power in and throttled down (it stalled again the moment I backed off) where I thought I would have enough headspeed to get to the dock. I grossly overestimated how much speed I needed and realized I was coming in WAY too hot. I then made my worst offense ever in the history of my boating adventures....I froze. Completely! We were heading right into the rear end of a very nice pair of 250 HP motors attached to the back of a very expensive center console boat. I froze, literally calculating how much this was going to cost me, what my insurance deductibles were, and how embarrassing this was going to be. My girlsfriend is now shouting "what should I do" repeatedly to my silence. As I stood motionless I felt a sudden jolt and nearly cracked my skull on the windshield. We hadn't hit the boat in front yet though, my girlfriend grabbed the stern line and literally lasso'd the cleat on the dock. I turned to see her body completely outstretched, grsping the rope for dear life against the weight of the boat. I thought for sure she would have broken all her fingers or lost all the skin on her hands, but there she was, completely unscathed, completely unaware of just how much she saved the day. Trailering the boat was a real bitch given the strong current and winds, but I managed on my own. When I stepped into the truck to head home she turned to me and said "I don't think I want to go on the boat anymore hahahaha. I've since convinced her to go out at least when the weather is nice and seas are calm.

As for the engine, stupid me never thought to change out the fuel water separator on the fuel lines. Especially stupid considering I had the spare on the boat while this was going on. When I pulled it off back home it was half full of water. The boat has run great ever since.

Archived