A.L. East Division Race Thread

PS17

As of tonight, the standings are as follows:

1) Red Sox

2) Yankees 0 gb

3) Rays 4.5 gb

I started this thread so we can talk about what looks to be another exciting 2nd half race for the best division in baseball.

:cheers:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<html>

<head>

<title>

*insert random smilie*

</title>

</head>

<body>

<!--Only comment in words once every 10 posts-->

<!--Always ignore the argument at hand-->

*insert size 3 one line exclamation*

</body>

Have I mastered the system or what?

Maybe.

<html>

<head>

<title>

*insert random smilie*

</title>

</head>

<body>

<!--Only comment in words once every 10 posts-->

<!--Always ignore the argument at hand-->

*insert size 3 one line exclamation*

</body>

Have I mastered the system or what?

Yep. That pretty much covers it.

Red Sox place Wakefield on DL

Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas -- All-Star knuckleballer Tim Wakefield is headed to the disabled list. 2748.jpg

Wakefield

The Boston Red Sox say Wakefield, who turns 43 next week, has a strained lower back. Right-hander Clay Buchholz was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket to start in Wakefield's place Wednesday night in Texas. Manager Terry Francona says Wakefield got hurt throwing on the side Saturday. He last pitched July 8 against the Oakland Athletics and then didn't pitch in the All-Star Game. Buchholz started Boston's first game after the All-Star break, earning a victory against the Toronto Blue Jays before being sent back to the minors.

Yeah, the AL East is going to be insane from here on out.

The Rays took a tough loss last night, but atleast the Red Sox lost. The Rays are 3-1 on the Road since the A.S Break and have gained a two full games on Boston and I couldnt ask for anything more than that over the past 4 days.

I just cant wait till the Red Sox and Yankees go at it, as long as the Rays can take care of their games-They should gain ground on either or of those teams. Also, the Rays-Yankees series in about a week or so should be exciting for both fan bases.

I would guess that the Yankees will beat the O's tonight. I have a feeling Texas is going to crush the Red Sox and I'm [retty confident in the Rays over the White Sox tonight because Niemann is on the mound...He could be the AL Rookie of the year when it's all said and done (IF he keeps pitching like he's been pitching)

The Yankees just wont lose!

I started this thread so we can talk about what looks to be another exciting 2nd half race for the best division in baseball.

:cheers:

race??? Sox are in a death spiral right now. Only thing saving their ass is their record against the Yankees.

The Sox have been playing ho-hum baseball all year, just expecting that they will easily make the playoffs without really trying... They better wake the eff up quick or the Yankees will be long gone.

What a crazy come from behind victory for the Rays during the 9th inning on the road against a really good closer...Crazy.

Maddon rested Crawford and Pena and they still won, this team has heart.

Jeff Niemann, crazy...He just threw like 77 K's out of 100 pitches! He's now 10-4 on the year after 17 starts with an era under 3.7 now. If he keeps pitching like this, he has a really strong shot at becoming the AL Rookie of the year.

Yankees are 5-0 since the AS Break

Rays are 4-1 on the road since the AS Break

And the Sox are 1-4 since the AS Break

Congrats to the Yankees on 1st place

So sad when the Sawxies crew around here doesn't show up after a great evening of hardball

Come again JonE?

Sad when you barely showed up for the first half of the season and most of the Yankees fan base had given up.

Sox are in a slump. They'll bounce back. The Yankees are hot right now. They're level off. It'll be right down to the wire again.

I mean half a billion dollars spent in the offseason, I would hope the Yankees would give the Sox a run for their money.

Sawx need to make a few moves....been saying itfor awhile

Time to give up some of those kids for some real depth

I give you credit for taking your lumps, as your team moves to it;s rightful place behind the Yanks in the standings

Sawx need to make a few moves....been saying itfor awhile

Time to give up some of those kids for some real depth

I give you credit for taking your lumps, as your team moves to it;s rightful place behind the Yanks in the standings

Rightful place? Such class.

There are no moves available that is going to improve the Sox. Tell me one person available in a trade that is going to come here and not cost an arm and a leg and improve a position. I'd rather hold onto the young guns we have get rid of spare parts like Penny and Saito and bring in a few guys who could provide a spark or two. It's not going to happen though. There isn't anyone out there worth trading the young guys for.

You can't tell me the Sawx couldn't use an outfielder....JD Drew is a Mess

You can't tell me the Sawx couldn't use another starter...Smoltzie has been a bust thusfar, and who knows about Dice?

You need depth....the Yanks made a solid move in picking up Hinske

Sawx will do something

What would opposing teams do against Beckett, Doc, and Lester in the playoffs?

Come again JonE?

Sad when you barely showed up for the first half of the season and most of the Yankees fan base had given up.

Sox are in a slump. They'll bounce back. The Yankees are hot right now. They're level off. It'll be right down to the wire again.

I mean half a billion dollars spent in the offseason, I would hope the Yankees would give the Sox a run for their money.

The Red Sox are in a slump, but their slumping at the WRONG time...Starting off the 2nd half of the season 1-4, while the Rays have gone 4-1 on the road, Yankees have gone 5-0...Thats never a good sign for a team falling in the standings and to make it worse, you all just lose with Beckett on the mound tonight.

And how can a Red Sox fan talk about high payrolls? You have NO idea what Tampa Bay Ray fans think about the Red Sox and Yankees...For the money you all have, it shouldn't even be a race.

AMERICAN W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK L10

NY Yankees 56 37 .602 - 31-16 25-21 512 445 +67 Won 5 7-3

Boston 55 38 .591 1 31-14 24-24 477 400 +77 Lost 4 5-5

LA Angels 53 38 .582 2 27-18 26-20 490 449 +41 Won 3 7-3

Texas 51 41 .554 4.5 31-19 20-22 449 413 +36 Won 3 5-5

Tampa Bay 52 42 .553 4.5 30-15 22-27 498 418 +80 Won 1 7-3

Detroit 49 42 .538 6 28-13 21-29 432 402 +30 Won 1 5-5

Seattle 49 44 .527 7 25-18 24-26 370 385 -15 Lost 1 6-4

Chicago Sox 48 45 .516 8 25-23 23-22 431 432 -1 Lost 1 5-5

Minnesota 47 46 .505 9 28-20 19-26 457 426 +31 Lost 2 4-6

Toronto 46 48 .489 10.5 27-20 19-28 448 415 +33 Lost 1 3-7

Baltimore 41 52 .441 15 26-21 15-31 434 492 -58 Lost 2 5-5

Oakland 39 52 .429 16 21-24 18-28 390 435 -45 Won 1 4-6

Kansas City 37 55 .402 18.5 22-28 15-27 363 448 -85 Lost 7 1-9

Cleveland 37 57 .394 19.5 20-28 17-29 463 514 -51 Won 1 4-6

It's really going to be fun watching the WC race between the Rays and Sawx

Dude.... How can you act like the Yankees are going to win the AL East here in late July? Why, because you all have a 1 game lead on the Red Sox?

Never forget...The Rays are the AL East champions-The Yankees failed to make the playoffs last year. The Rays have shown over the past two years that we can stick with the best of the East and we even took out Boston during game 7 of the ALCS-Something the Yankees havn't done in a while.

Are the Yankees a good team? Yeah. But it's foolish to count out the AL East Champions on winning the East again because you know what? This team is getting hot right now. 4 1/2 games is nothing-We just gained 3 full games on Boston in 5 days and the last time I checked, the last time the Yankees were tied for the AL East lead before last night...They gave it up and fell back like 2-3 games in less than a week.

Red Sox place Wakefield on DL

Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas -- All-Star knuckleballer Tim Wakefield is headed to the disabled list. 2748.jpg

Wakefield

The Boston Red Sox say Wakefield, who turns 43 next week, has a strained lower back. Right-hander Clay Buchholz was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket to start in Wakefield's place Wednesday night in Texas. Manager Terry Francona says Wakefield got hurt throwing on the side Saturday. He last pitched July 8 against the Oakland Athletics and then didn't pitch in the All-Star Game. Buchholz started Boston's first game after the All-Star break, earning a victory against the Toronto Blue Jays before being sent back to the minors.

Sox should hope that Clay is going to hold up.

Mitre was meh... but we put up the runs. This race will be tight for the rest of the year. The Rays have been just as hot as the Yankees yet can't gain any ground due to the fact we've been playing good ball. Let's not forget we came out of the all-star break down 3. Baseball is an up and down sport. We still need to beat the Red Sox before we pound our chests. We've done fine against the Rays. I'm just excited to watch a fun 3 way race for the top of the AL East.

I'm loving the way we've played out of the break though, if Andy can be that great 2nd half pitcher he has been in his career of if Joba has figured it out, 1-4 will be pretty damn good. Then Hughes, Ace and Mo make a pretty nice bullpen.

The Rays and Sawx are playing for 2nd

There, i said it

Nope...The Rays are playing for 1st. It's funny, because you weren't saying any of this stuff a couple weeks ago-Now were you?

The Rays are defending the AL East crown-The Yankees aren't.

Serious question...How many World Series have the Yankees been to since giving A-Roid all that money bro?

Sox should hope that Clay is going to hold up.

Mitre was meh... but we put up the runs. This race will be tight for the rest of the year. The Rays have been just as hot as the Yankees yet can't gain any ground due to the fact we've been playing good ball. Let's not forget we came out of the all-star break down 3. Baseball is an up and down sport. We still need to beat the Red Sox before we pound our chests. We've done fine against the Rays. I'm just excited to watch a fun 3 way race for the top of the AL East.

I'm loving the way we've played out of the break though, if Andy can be that great 2nd half pitcher he has been in his career of if Joba has figured it out, 1-4 will be pretty damn good. Then Hughes, Ace and Mo make a pretty nice bullpen.

Great post. The Rays have gained some ground though...We were a full 6 1/2 games out of 1st place before the A-S break...Now it's only 4 1/2.

Last time the Yankees and Rays played...He were banged up, our bullpen was pretty bad @ the time and overall---We just weren't the same team. No excuses-The Yanks got the best of us...But we've also had our way with Boston while the Yankees havn't.

The Rays and Yankees will be playing in a couple days @ the Trop-Should make for an exciting series.

And I agree...This should be a killer 3-Way race the rest of the way.

Someone mentioned this the other day and the more I think of it, the more I like the idea of a trade for Cliff Lee. His value is low, he's not a Cy Young pitcher this year or anywhere near that. I wonder if there would be a way for the Yanks to make a deal with the tribe without getting fleeced.

Someone mentioned this the other day and the more I think of it, the more I like the idea of a trade for Cliff Lee. His value is low, he's not a Cy Young pitcher this year or anywhere near that. I wonder if there would be a way for the Yanks to make a deal with the tribe without getting fleeced.

As a Rays fan...I would hate that thought.

Sabathia

Lee

Burnett

Pettite

Joba

Would be tough to compete with during the playoffs or any regular season series for that matter. Lee may not have great numbers this year, but the overall talent and potential production is there each and every start.

Shields

Garza

Kazmir

Price

Niemann

Is pretty tough to beat right now. Shields is a work horse, Garza has the best stuff on the team (Just gets a little too upset out there sometimes), Kazmir is coming around, Price has improved big time and Niemann is pitching like the AL Rookie of the year right now. If Price and Kazmir can get it going, watch out.

Archived