The Hippie Thread

SouthernJet

For those of us older, and maybe some who are younger...

Who was a 'hippie', 'head', 'freak' etc back in the day??

What was your lifestyle, dress, hair etc??

I had hair that was just short of my belt buckle, parted in middle etc.

Dress was jeans, construction boots, farmer flannel etc.

Smoked Marlboro and Kools, amongst other things (thats where the Kools come in) ..

Drink of choice then was Jack Daniels and Mateus Wine.

We made weekly trip to Philly or NYC (MSG, Fillmore, Gaelic Park etc) for concerts (this was late 60s, early 70s).

Sit-ins, anti-war marches were a normal thing we did.

How about you??? :D

buck skin fringe brown suede jacket wearer here, also p-coats, army jacket and long hair...Rolling Rock, Boones Farm, crappy weed...oh yea and a lot of sex

ahha,,yup to almost all of those also..rollin rock..

weed wasnt crappy though ..rich roomies

For those of us older, and maybe some who are younger...

Who was a 'hippie', 'head', 'freak' etc back in the day??

What was your lifestyle, dress, hair etc??

I had hair that was just short of my belt buckle, parted in middle etc.

Dress was jeans, construction boots, farmer flannel etc.

Smoked Marlboro and Kools, amongst other things (thats where the Kools come in) ..

Drink of choice then was Jack Daniels and Mateus Wine.

We made weekly trip to Philly or NYC (MSG, Fillmore, Gaelic Park etc) for concerts (this was late 60s, early 70s).

Sit-ins, anti-war marches were a normal thing we did.

How about you??? :D

I have a clear picture in my mind of what u looked like...you must

have drew a high #

i was straight as an arrow...my momma warned me of you hippies with your long hair, smoking wacky and having sex on park benches

Hippies to me were phonies. Frank Zappa's first album talks about them and pretty much calls them a bunch of scumbags. I didn't go to my first Grateful Dead concert until the 90's, and I was scared to leave my car parked out in the parking lot because of the "wharf rats" ie the lowlifes who follow(ed) the Dead around and just hung out in the parking lot because they didn't have any money to get in.

I always liked long hair, though, even though for most of my life I've had a crew cut.

Hippies to me were phonies. Frank Zappa's first album talks about them and pretty much calls them a bunch of scumbags. I didn't go to my first Grateful Dead concert until the 90's, and I was scared to leave my car parked out in the parking lot because of the "wharf rats" ie the lowlifes who follow(ed) the Dead around and just hung out in the parking lot because they didn't have any money to get in.

I always liked long hair, though, even though for most of my life I've had a crew cut.

ahh,,it was all fun..dead heads were a diffewrent breed i agree,,aka gypsies,,

but the life back then was fleeting and fun...you alway shad to be aware of those who thought the were cooler or been in the 'lifestyle' longer meant anything..pretentious..akin to people thinkin just because u have more posts than someone you are therefore a better poster..

meant nuthin..

ahh,,it was all fun..dead heads were a diffewrent breed i agree,,aka gypsies,,

but the life back then was fleeting and fun...you alway shad to be aware of those who thought the were cooler or been in the 'lifestyle' longer meant anything..pretentious..akin to people thinkin just because u have more posts than someone you are therefore a better poster..

meant nuthin..

Thats the funny part about hippies...the lifers are so pertentious about the shows they have been too and the drugs they done and the amount of time they have spent amounting to absolutely nothing that its pathetic.

Its unfortunate because some of my favorite lives shows draw the hippie crowd and Im sorry but a hippie in 2009 is just a moron living in the past. Get over it.

Thats the funny part about hippies...the lifers are so pertentious about the shows they have been too and the drugs they done and the amount of time they have spent amounting to absolutely nothing that its pathetic.

Its unfortunate because some of my favorite lives shows draw the hippie crowd and Im sorry but a hippie in 2009 is just a moron living in the past. Get over it.

What I hate about going to shows that draw hippies is the friggin' spinners.

You know, the hairy chicks with the flowing tie-died dresses who look like they haven't bathed in six months who just spin around all damn night bumping into people and knocking over beers.

Learn how to friggin' dance and stop knocking beers out of people's hands you goofy broads!

You know, the hairy chicks with the flowing tie-died dresses who look like they haven't bathed in six months who just spin around all damn night bumping into people and knocking over beers.

Learn how to friggin' dance and stop knocking beers out of people's hands you goofy broads!

I had the unfortunate experience of being envited to a Phish concert. Back in undergrad I went to quite a few dead shows and really enjoyed them, that of which I remember. But this worse than the weight watchers menu at Bob Evans.

This spinner broad like you mentioned kept bumping into me and I kept spilling my beer. Every time she did it she just stared at me and smiled like that would make it better. Only thing it made want to do is jump into a time machine and bring her back to 7th grade health class. Disgusting creepy chick.

I had the unfortunate experience of being envited to a Phish concert. Back in undergrad I went to quite a few dead shows and really enjoyed them, that of which I remember. But this worse than the weight watchers menu at Bob Evans.

This spinner broad like you mentioned kept bumping into me and I kept spilling my beer. Every time she did it she just stared at me and smiled like that would make it better. Only thing it made want to do is jump into a time machine and bring her back to 7th grade health class. Disgusting creepy chick.

Yes. The noodle dance is gay and the spinners are worse. Stinky petrulli fools.

Yes. The noodle dance is gay and the spinners are worse. Stinky petrulli fools.

I am assuming you meant patchouli? Don't get me started on that awful ****ing smell!!!

Do these idiots really believe that stinky crap is covering up the stench caused by their lack of bathing? Really? Do they understand how much worse the combination of months of no bathing plus patchouli reeks than just either one independently?

Chan, please explain.

I am assuming you meant patchouli? Don't get me started on that awful ****ing smell!!!

Do these idiots really believe that stinky crap is covering up the stench caused by their lack of bathing? Really? Do they understand how much worse the combination of months of no bathing plus patchouli reeks than just either one independently?

Chan, please explain.

Ha! Yes, I googled it and there are 2 spellings.

This is a very entertaining thread.

I always thought "spinners" meant something else though. Hmmm....

Anyway, jam bands suck. It does not suprise me that dirty people, or people that can't let go of the past, go to these horrific shows. No wonder there are so many drugs and a perpetual stream of marijuana fumes - you need to be high to get through the 45 minute bad songs.

ya,, this thread was aimed at the past, not the future,,i think 99.9% of us are now 'normal',,like our parents...haha

I have had a few spinners in my day.......ahhh, the best of times

you may want to check the new definition of "spinner." According to some folks in the very same thread, "spinners" are:

you may want to check the new definition of "spinner." According to some folks in the very same thread, "spinners" are:

Your obsession with my every word is starting to disturb me.

Your obsession with my every word is starting to disturb me.

Oh, I get it now!!! If you can't win the war of words, do the "obession" schtick. I've seen you pull that one here a couple of times already.

Hey, stop being a p-word. I was pointing out to JonE that his version of a "spinner" may not be what you folks think "spinners" are now-a-days.

Oh, I get it now!!! If you can't win the war of words, do the "obession" schtick. I've seen you pull that one here a couple of times already.

Hey, stop being a p-word. I was pointing out to JonE that his version of a "spinner" may not be what you folks think "spinners" are now-a-days.

Yeah, sure you were.

At a Dead show at Giants stadium years ago, I had one of those spinning dudes bump into me and I got his sweat in my eye. I swear to God it felt like acid. He was all apologetic as I put my hand up to it and winced, he put his hands on my back and shoulder (really not in a gay way) looking to console me, but I didn't want this dirty man anywhere near me!

And that's coming from a late-born hippie. My folks made me get crew cuts in elementary school, so I had hair halfway down my back in high school ('79-82). The Doors sold more albums in the 80's than they did in the 60's, and I was a big part of that. Grew up on nothing but Beatles. Then came Hendrix and Cream. Went a good decade without ever being out of pot. Good times.

Managed to get a job, though. My hair's still longish (probably surfer-looking), but the drugs are long gone. Unlike my relationship with my parents on the subject, my kids know I'm giving them the straight scoop on everything drugs.

Still love the music, though.

ya,, this thread was aimed at the past, not the future,,i think 99.9% of us are now 'normal',,like our parents...haha

LOL...sorry...I cant comment on those hippies...only the ones that I have come across.

Jam Band music is my guilty pleasure. I like punk rock...I know its weird...so I think that has a lot to do with how little tolerance I have for the hippies that still think its cool to be a hippie.

I could care less about their definition..........:D

Hippies, ugggggggggh. Are these 60's holdovers who are far less significant than they'll ever get gonna die already? :bag: I was never anything, just my own thing; and people who are convinced they are 'important' non-conformists are precisely what they think they aren't: conformists. To each other. Get a life, retards. "But, but, they changed the world!" My ass. Martin Luther King, Jr. changed they world. Abraham Lincoln changed the world. Hippies, not so much. If I recall, Abbie Hoffman died homeless and forgotten.

Hippie Story 1) I'm the youngest of my 1st cousins on my Mom's side. My maternal grandparents were the 'A' set of grandparents, and they lived three blocks away from us in Flushing when I was growing up. My Grandpa was a barber, and he used to chase my older cousins with scissors. To this day I'm not sure if he was trying to cut their hair or kill them.

Hippie Story 2) My Dad hated those smelly jerkoffs. Haha, he used to yell out the window of our brown-paneled Ford Station wagon, "Get a job!" "Take a bath!" "God Bless America!" "Put on some shoes, you slob!" I have a memory like a razor, only don't ask me what happened five minutes ago.

What was this about again? Right. I was always had a unique sense of style distinctly my own. Hasn't changed much.

standing2.jpg

And I turned out so well...

jokejihad4.jpg

"Death to hippie infidels!"

Archived