Pirates Trade 1b LaRoche to Redsox

Vudu

The Pittsburgh Pirates traded first baseman Adam LaRoche to the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday, according to multiple reports.

The Pirates will receive minor league shortstop Argenis Diaz and one other prospect in return for LaRoche, Foxsports.com reported.

In his sixth major league season, LaRoche is hitting .247 with 12 homers and 40 RBIs.

Diaz is batting .253 for the Red Sox's Double-A affiliate in Portland, Maine.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette first reported the trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4348069&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4348069

I guess the Pirates are just a farm team for the rest of baseball. Wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez next.

If LaRoche ends up being a bust the Red Sox can take solace in the fact that they didn't give up anything for him.

I guess the Pirates are just a farm team for the rest of baseball. Wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez next.

If LaRoche ends up being a bust the Red Sox can take solace in the fact that they didn't give up anything for him.

If I was Epstein I would've just offered a Ham sandwich and seen if that got him, seems like it might have.

They've traded away their entire team between this year and last year, Geez.

And a good chunk of that farm team is from the Yanks and Sox.

Nady, Bay, Marte, Hinske, LaRoche...

LaRoche is a Free Agent at the end of the year, so why not try and get something for him?

This deal certainly makes more sense than the trade McLouth

And, if they're not going to pay Wilson or Sanchez, might as well try to get a couple more pieces.

I get a kick out of Yankee fans complaining about salary and free agent to be dumps, when they have been a prime benefactor for years.

As a Sox fan, I like that they're able to get good players off of crappy teams.

As a baseball fan, it's just as bad as having a team able to outspend you by $150 million.

Garrett Jones, the guy who will be the everyday 1B in LaRoche's place, hit his 9th HR today - and he only has 71 AB's on the season. The kid is slugging .746, which almost matches LaRoche's .770 OPS (!).

I guess they should've kept the disappointing, impending free-agent LaRoche and his .245 BA instead of getting something in return and letting a 26yo with promise play everyday instead.

Like SD said, I can see ripping the McLouth deal (especially since they had just extended him this offseason), but this trade and the Nyjer Morgan deal made complete sense for that organization.

Garrett Jones, the guy who will be the everyday 1B in LaRoche's place, hit his 9th HR today - and he only has 71 AB's on the season. The kid is slugging .746, which almost matches LaRoche's .770 OPS (!).

I guess they should've kept the disappointing, impending free-agent LaRoche and his .245 BA instead of getting something in return and letting a 26yo with promise play everyday instead.

Like SD said, I can see ripping the McLouth deal (especially since they had just extended him this offseason), but this trade and the Nyjer Morgan deal made complete sense for that organization.

I have Jones on my fantasy team. I will ride that wave until it crashes.

This has been the Pirates M.O. since the Bonds, Van Slyke days.

These kids develop and then the Pirates get rid of them when they have the chance to make some serious money. Doesn't matter if it is McLough, Bay, Nady, etc,etc, etc they just continue to almost purposley try not to compete.

At least have a plan like the Twins or the A's or Marlins. Yeah your window may not be constantly open like the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets or Dodgers but at least give the fan base some hope.

They have one of the best ballparks in MLB. A good farm system that continues to develop talent but ownership that just flat out doesn't care about winning.

And people wonder why the Pirates don't draw.

Defending all the recent Pirates trades you guys have to be kidding me-seriously. They are going to set a record for most consecutive losing seasons this year.

The McLouth trade looks to be pretty inexcusable. But I don't really see the big deal in trading LaRoche. He wasn't going to help them have a winning season. He was part of the problem, at least this year. He's a free agent and they weren't going to re-sign him. Why is this not a good move, again?

Though LaRoche is batting just .247 with 12 home runs and 40 RBIs, the Red Sox may be getting him at the perfect time. Over the last three seasons, the 29-year-old LaRoche is a .314/.374/.578 hitter with 41 home runs in 182 games after the All-Star break, compared to .247/.326/.449 with 37 home runs in 255 games before the break.

Interesting.

I get a kick out of Yankee fans complaining about salary and free agent to be dumps, when they have been a prime benefactor for years.

Didn't they get Nady and another player for one of George's steamers?

I don't really care too much about this one. He's a free agent at the end of the year and isn't worth the money they would have had to pay him to keep. He probably wouldn't have stayed anyway. They tried to extend Jack and Freddy recently and they didn't even come back with a counter offer. It was all just BS to see if they could get big deals cause they thought they had more leverage than they did, imo. I'll be surprised if those two aren't gone too by the deadline. They'll probably send Jack to the Twins very soon.

LaRoche was an annoying hitter, and a plus defender. Great guy, but way too streaky for my taste. Not much good to the Pirates if he only starts hitting after the all-star break, when we're already in a huge hole and already sold at the deadline. He was easily the most replacable player on the team. Now they can either put Jones there, or call up Pearce. Or even put Doumit at 1B and bring back the Diaz/Jaramillo pair that did pretty good at C when he was injured. Milledge is doing pretty good, they can bring him up now if they want, or they could give Moss more time. They've got plenty of options.

When we got him for Mike Gonzalez, I thought we stole him. He was supposed to hit 30-40 HR, 100 RBI, and protect Bay. Never really put it together for a whole season though and was a liability at times during his cold streaks basically a disappointment outside of producing in meaningless games in the second half. He'll be good in Boston just like Bay though, imo. He can be clutch too.

They haven't said the "R" word, but they're definitely rebuilding; and there's no point in that unless you go full bore. As long as they've got a replacement for the guys they trade, and they get a good return, then it's fine with me. The owner isn't going to go out and get elite talent through free agency, so this is pretty much the only way they're ever going to win.

I would have liked them to go for a winner to break the streak though. Imo, all they had to do was keep Bay, McLouth, and call up McCutchen, then pony up and sign a good starter and get a 3B. I guess the streak doesn't bother them too much though.

Didn't they get Nady and another player for one of George's steamers?

That trade worked out great for the Pirates. It looks like Tabata's righted himself, and they've got some decent starting depth with Ohlendorf, Daniel McCutchen, and Jeff Karstens. Karstens in particular has looked pretty sharp lately.

For those that think the Pirates were nuts to trade McLouth.....I have 2 words for you

Andrew McCutchen

I think I'm going to put him in my Avatar. Kid can play.

Charlie Morton doesn't look too bad either.

They haven't said the "R" word, but they're definitely rebuilding; and there's no point in that unless you go full bore. As long as they've got a replacement for the guys they trade, and they get a good return, then it's fine with me. The owner isn't going to go out and get elite talent through free agency, so this is pretty much the only way they're ever going to win.

I would have liked them to go for a winner to break the streak though. Imo, all they had to do was keep Bay, McLouth, and call up McCutchen, then pony up and sign a good starter and get a 3B. I guess the streak doesn't bother them too much though.

Is there ever anything else for the Pirates but rebuilding ? :(

Archived