Pirates Trade 1b LaRoche to Redsox

Vudu

sadly no...

Pirates are 10 games below .500 7 1/2 games out.

Mets are 6 games below .500 10 games out.

and the Pirates are selling away their pieces and the Mets still think they are in it.

When they sent McLouth to Atlanta, we were in basically the same position as they were at the time.

Is there ever anything else for the Pirates but rebuilding ? :(

It looks like they're slowly turning the page. Unfortunately the last GM had one last shot to leave his dog-**** footprint on the rug by passing up on Matt Wieters in the draft 2 years ago and spending the money on Matt Morris instead to try and save his job.

He's a FA at the end of the season. Pirates then get nothing for hyim.

If he left via free agency the Pirates would have received an extra draft pick. Now if he leaves the Red Sox they get the draft pick.

If he left via free agency the Pirates would have received an extra draft pick. Now if he leaves the Red Sox they get the draft pick.

128 years in Pittsburgh or not, Bud needs to do something. Find a new owner or move the team. PNC Park might be new, but it has done nothing.

128 years in Pittsburgh or not, Bud needs to do something. Find a new owner or move the team. PNC Park might be new, but it has done nothing.

They can not keep trading their younger players because they can not or will not pay them for minor leaguers. This has been going on constantly for a number of years- not a one time deal.

Nah, it's the right move by the Pirates. Just felt like they got jack in return, they weren't going to resign him so moving him was the right call.

Isn't that what I said ? :biggrin: No arguement. They get zip for him in the off season.

I know it's wrong but I never think much of losing a MLB draft choice. It's not like the NFL.

They wouldn't have gotten any draft pick because they would have had to offer him arbitration to get that pick. And he probably would have accepted it it because it would have been a lot more than he'll get in FA (more than the $7 million he made this year), plus he'd get to keep playing with his brother. Just not worth it.

Most Pirate fans didn't want him extended anyway. He's just not worth that much money. At least we got a couple prospects for him. I'd rather they put that money into this Sano kid.

Also, it's not even a given that he'll be a type-B free agent. And basically, you can consider their return the equivalent of 2 draft picks if you want.

They wouldn't have gotten any draft pick because they would have had to offer him arbitration to get that pick. And he probably would have accepted it it because it would have been a lot more than he'll get in FA (more than the $7 million he made this year), plus he'd get to keep playing with his brother. Just not worth it.

Thanks for the clairification. I must have interrupted the draft pick situation incorrectly. I thought he was pretty much a lock to make a type B free agent.

Thanks for the clairification. I must have interrupted the draft pick situation incorrectly. I thought he was pretty much a lock to make a type B free agent.

It's no knock to him, but he'd have to better than 60% of major league 1B (top 12), which is probably the toughest position to do it. I'm sure he'd have had a shot, but he'd have needed a great second half.

Archived