Joe Namath Talks About The Jets and Mark Sanchez 7/23/09

For those who didn't listen to it. Here is a summary.

1. Personality doesn't mean crap, so stop focusing on the his ability to wow the media the only thing that matters is how well you play the game.

2. He didn't have nearly as much experince as Flacco did in college and brought up the fact that coach Carroll didn't think he was ready to play in the NFL.

1. Personality doesn't mean crap, so stop focusing on the his ability to wow the media the only thing that matters is how well you play the game.

2. He didn't have nearly as much experince as Flacco did in college and brought up the fact that coach Carroll didn't think he was ready to play in the NFL.

It's sad when Joe Namath has to be the voice of reason. Amazing how many people are crowning Sanchez because of his personality and boyish good looks. You wanna crown him go ahead crown his $#& but he is not gonna be who you thought he was.

It's sad when Joe Namath has to be the voice of reason. Amazing how many people are crowning Sanchez because of his personality and boyish good looks. You wanna crown him go ahead crown his $#& but he is not gonna be who you thought he was.
Wait, he's not gonna be a rookie?

m_N1OjGhIFc

You don't think Carroll's "opinion" my have been a little slanted to his own agenda? :rolleyes:

You don't think Carroll's "opinion" my have been a little slanted to his own agenda? :rolleyes:

Certaintly a possiblity. And while his agenda first and foremost is to winning at USC, he is also takes great pride in preparing his students for the NFL and supporting their success.

But this wasn't an interview with Carroll. It was one with Joe Namath. When one of the hosts brought up Flacco, Namath pointed out that Flacco had considerablely more starts in college and mentioned Carroll's opinion of Sanchez and agreed with Carroll.

Joe comes from a time when people paid more than just monetary dues and earned a job.

We don't.

Namath is the sh*t for speaking truth. I really love that someone who played football finally came out and cut the cliche crap in half. Personality my balls. Motherf'er kept it REAL son. He even kinds of knocks the stupid QB "it" crap that people talk about, but I'm simplifying it when I say that.

I hope Clemens puts the n00b in his place.

Honestly, I think this fanbase will wake up once we get sports laid (win). I'm not nearly as old as alot of fans and I'm sick of our perpetual search for personality, getting buzzworded, guys who've done nothing getting super hyped because we HOPE they're the future, and all the other non-winning crap that comes with being a Jets fan.

Edit: He called Flacco "Falco." Lawlz.

I haven't had the chance to listen to the clip yet, so I'll comment on the comments.

Mark's lack of college experience -even for a junior coming out- is a major concern. Some Jet fans are glossing over that, and that will probably bite 'em in the ass once the season starts. There's going to be growing pains.

But Joe Namath is a very odd candidate to talk about personality not meaning anything. Joe's confidence is what makes Joe Namath the icon that he is. Would he be a living legend without coming thru on "The Guarantee"?

Sanchez seems to have all the physical attributes of an NFL QB. Nothing outstanding in any individual category. He's no cannon, he's not one of these 6'6" trees. Just a good arm, good touch, good overall athleticism.

What sets him apart is that personality. Not being charming, but being mentally tough enough to win a championship at USC. That mental toughness is needed at the NFL level, and even more at the NFL's NYC franchise. The other thing his "personality" brings to the table is a strong work ethic. Guys like Ryan Leaf and Jeff George probably have it all over Sanchez when it comes to pure QB skills, but I expect Mark to have a better pro career (and hope and pray he does) than those guys simply because of his mental makeup. Because he's a guy who seems to genuinely put football first.

1) Sanchez was the top QB in the country coming out of HS

2) he does not have a weak arm

When Rexey met with him on proday, they were talking about how far

Stafford threw the ball (which was 65 yds)..mark responded i will beat that

and threw it 68.

Gotta love the kid!!!!!!!! 2010 AFC East champs...not this year though

But Joe Namath is a very odd candidate to talk about personality not meaning anything. Joe's confidence is what makes Joe Namath the icon that he is. Would he be a living legend without coming thru on "The Guarantee"?

What makes Joe Namath an icon is the the AFL step-child New York Jets beat heavily favored Balitimore Colts.

Had Joe said nothing before the game he would still be an icon. If he made the guarantee and the Jets lost he would not have his place in history and it would have been remembered, it at all, as lame ass trash talking.

And that was kinda Joes point.

What made Joe great was the Jets won the superbowl, not his fur coat.

Seems like you cherry-picked some comments for your summary to imply that Joe Namath was critical of the JETS and their first round pick Mark Sanchez.

Joe was responding to Boomer's comments about Joe's personality as the JETS QB. Joe correctly pointed out that personality was not important if he and the JETS did not win. Football is a team game and winning is the bottom line. As the penultimate JETS fan, Joe described how Coach Ryan had infused enthusiasm with JETS fans including how he excited was about the season and how Mark Sanchez was a good thing for the JETS.

He did ackowledge a concern with the amount of games Sanchez played in college and the fact that Pete Carroll wanted him to return. IMO...Carroll was more interested in his own interests instead of Mark Sanchez. Both Joe and Boomer both agreed that Mark Sanchez was ready and had the talent to succeed in the NFL.

To those who are concerned that Sanchez came out early...Sanchez was a four-year player who eligible for a fifth year and that was the year he chose not to return for...in contrast to Stafford who was the true Junior who came out after only three years (I know Stafford played more games). The point is Mark excelled at a high competitive level and has the maturity and talent to play in the NFL today.

As a JETS fan I am as excited as Joe and Boomer with the Sanchez pick and look forward to training camp.

Actually he's an icon because his team won the biggest game in franchise history.

People seem to forget that because of his personality, which has nothing to do with football.

When Rexey met with him on proday, they were talking about how far

Stafford threw the ball (which was 65 yds)..mark responded i will beat that

and threw it 68.

While throwing it far is impressive, there is no one on the planet who would say that Sanchez has a better arm than Stafford.

Here's what I don't get about the Flacco comparison:

Did Flacco have more starts? Yes. But the guy played at Delaware, not exactly a big time school (not even Division 1 competition that Sanchez faced). Whether Sanchez will have success in his first year is up for debate, but I think its silly to use Flacco being a senior and playing more games as a reason not to get your hopes up because of the small school reality.

Seems like you cherry-picked some comments for your summary to imply that Joe Namath was critical of the JETS and their first round pick Mark Sanchez.

Sorry if I implied he was critical of the pick, cause quite honestly I didn't get that sense from Namath.

What I did sense of was he was highly critical of the excessive rah rah by the host and others surronding "swagger" and media presense as being important for on the field performance.

Here's what I don't get about the Flacco comparison:

Did Flacco have more starts? Yes. But the guy played at Delaware, not exactly a big time school (not even Division 1 competition that Sanchez faced). Whether Sanchez will have success in his first year is up for debate, but I think its silly to use Flacco being a senior and playing more games as a reason not to get your hopes up because of the small school reality.

Generally bring up Flacco's significantly more experience is done in response to someone saying well a QB on the same team that Ryan was the DC did well his rookie year therefore Sanchez will do just as well.

One of the problems with a school like USC and as one person called them the NFL's 33rd team, is that in almost every game the talent on the team did not come close to USCs. It would be almost as if the Pittsburg Steelers played the Detriot Lions 16 games last year, or the Patriots played the Dolphins 16 times the year before.

People question Cassel's ability to play well in KC because he won't have Moss and Welker...well the parity in the NFL is much more even than in college. Sanchez played with a future NFL wide recievier. Rarely did he ever face a future NFL CB. Likewise his O-line was always better than the other teams d-line. Flacco often played againt teams that were much less talented than his own.

Generally bring up Flacco's significantly more experience is done in response to someone saying well a QB on the same team that Ryan was the DC did well his rookie year therefore Sanchez will do just as well.

One of the problems with a school like USC and as one person called them the NFL's 33rd team, is that in almost every game the talent on the team did not come close to USCs. It would be almost as if the Pittsburg Steelers played the Detriot Lions 16 games last year, or the Patriots played the Dolphins 16 times the year before.

People question Cassel's ability to play well in KC because he won't have Moss and Welker...well the parity in the NFL is much more even than in college. Sanchez played with a future NFL wide recievier. Rarely did he ever face a future NFL CB. Likewise his O-line was always better than the other teams d-line. Flacco often played againt teams that were much less talented than his own.

Flacco also played against guys who did absolutely nothing to prepare him for the speed of the NFL game. Division IA is about 2/3 of NFL speed, Division IAA is about 1/10 of NFL speed.

One can easily argue that Sanchez's 16 starts against Division IA teams is equal to all of Flacco's experience against Division IAA teams.

Actually he's an icon because his team won the biggest game in franchise history.

People seem to forget that because of his personality, which has nothing to do with football.

While throwing it far is impressive, there is no one on the planet who would say that Sanchez has a better arm than Stafford.

did i say that

all i'm saying is his arm is just fine

throws a tight spiral too unlike the Penne floaters we were accustomed

to

Flacco also played against guys who did absolutely nothing to prepare him for the speed of the NFL game. Division IA is about 2/3 of NFL speed, Division IAA is about 1/10 of NFL speed.

One can easily argue that Sanchez's 16 starts against Division IA teams is equal to all of Flacco's experience against Division IAA teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Klecko, I usually appreciate what you have to say but not this time.

Division IA is about 2/3 of NFL speed WRONG

Division IAA (actually FCS) is about 1/10 of NFL speed MORE WRONG

They are bigger and faster in the NFL but 2/3 ...1/10th !

FYI, Flacco transferred to U Del from Pitt (1A) after a head coaching change. The coach that recruited him had got canned and Flacco realized he would never start there so took his chances and transferred to U Del. He then started his Jr and Sr year.

More FYI, U Del plays some games against 1A I think most recently Navy, Maryland maybe more.

Archived