2009 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Otter

Hmmm. The Rays with Doc? Frightening.

Not for nothing, but Halladay's comment a few weeks ago when asked if he would accept a trade to the National League spoke volumes about his liklihood to accept a trade to certain division opponents:

"I'd rather hit than face Jeter, ARod, Matsui and Texiera."

Something tells me we won't be seeing Halladay in either a Red Sox or Rays uni anytime soon.

Not for nothing, but Halladay's comment a few weeks ago when asked if he would accept a trade to the National League spoke volumes about his liklihood to accept a trade to certain division opponents:

"I'd rather hit than face Jeter, ARod, Matsui and Texiera."

Something tells me we won't be seeing Halladay in either a Red Sox or Rays uni anytime soon.

There is that but he has a shot to win in Tampa, it's not like Tampa is some joke franchise anymore. Who knows, when it comes down to players with no-trade clauses you can never really guess because it's literally what goes on in their mind.

There is that but he has a shot to win in Tampa, it's not like Tampa is some joke franchise anymore. Who knows, when it comes down to players with no-trade clauses you can never really guess because it's literally what goes on in their mind.

I got a feeling Roy's old buddy A.J. Burnett has been telling him how great it is to be a Yankee. Wouldn't be the first time a new FA recruited his buddy for the Yanks.

Well we would have to wait until after next season to see Doc Halladay come here through free agency. I think A.J. Burnett is a huge reason why we should wait until he becomes a free agent. I think at 34, Halladay would still be a very good pitcher, and he seems to be the type of pitcher who still be very dominate even in his late 30's.

Giants acquire Garko from Cleveland

By JANIE McCAULEY

AP Sports Writer

Associated Press Sports

updated 8:52 p.m. ET, Mon., July 27, 2009

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The San Francisco Giants have acquired first baseman Ryan Garko from the Cleveland Indians, filling a big need in the infield and adding a key right-handed bat.

Garko was a late lineup scratch for the Indians on Monday before they opened a road series against the Los Angeles Angels. He was batting .285 with 11 home runs and 39 RBIs in 78 games for Cleveland, including .343 this month.

The Giants, who fell out of the wild-card lead with a 3-7 road trip, gave up Class-A left-hander Scott Barnes in the deal. Barnes was 12-3 with a 2.85 ERA and 99 strikeouts in 18 starts and 98.0 innings.

Pirates trade Jack Wilson, Ian Snell to Seattle

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates have traded shortstop Jack Wilson, their most tenured and popular player, to the Seattle Mariners, along with starting pitcher Ian Snell, who has recently pitched in the minors.

2008wilson-jack_160x210.jpg

Jack Wilson

In return, they received first baseman Jeff Clement, shortstop

Ronny Cedeno and right-handed pitchers Aaron Pribanic, Brett Lorin and Nathan Ad****.

The 25-year-old Clement was Seattle's first-round selection (third overall) in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft and was rated by Baseball America as the organization's No. 1 prospect for both 2006 and 2008, the Pirates said in a news release.

2008snell-ian_160x210.jpg

Ian Snell

Clement hit .288 (107-for-372) with 33 doubles, three triples, 14 home runs, 68 RBI and 65 runs scored while also producing a .505 slugging percentage in 92 games this year with AAA Tacoma of the Pacific Coast League.

Cedeno spent his entire career with the Chicago Cubs organization before being acquired by Seattle in January in a three-player deal. The 26-year-old infielder played in 59 games this year for the Mariners and entered today's action with a .238 career average (259-for-1090) with 39 doubles, nine triples, 18 home runs and 105 RBI in 388 games in parts of five years in the big leagues.

Pribanic went 7-6 with a 3.21 ERA while surrendering one home run in 17 starts for Class A Clinton of the Midwest League this year while being named to the league's mid-season All-Star team.

The 22-year-old right-hander was Seattle's third-round selection (98th overall) in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Lorin, 22, went 5-4 with a 2.44 ERA, 87 strikeouts and just 25 walks in 16 starts this year for Class A Clinton. The 6-foot-7 right-hander was named to this year's Midwest League All-Star team after leading the league with 77 strikeouts at the All-Star break.

Ad**** went 5-7 with a 5.29 ERA in 21 games with Class A High Desert of the California League. The 21-year old Ad**** was selected by Seattle in the fifth round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft from North Hardin, Ky. High School.

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/09210/987137-100.stm#ixzz0MfVWAIE0

From Mark Feinsand

"Mariners trade five players to Pirates for Jack Wilson + Ian Snell... maybe they're not throwing in the towel after all."

I guess they're not trading Washburn.

I guess not. Which is dumb the CANNOT hang in that division. I forgot who I was talking to on here but I said the fans, the GM, etc., really do believe this team has it in them to compete.

Goes to show what an intelligent fanbase Pacific NW sports has.

I guess not. Which is dumb the CANNOT hang in that division. I forgot who I was talking to on here but I said the fans, the GM, etc., really do believe this team has it in them to compete.

Goes to show what an intelligent fanbase Pacific NW sports has.

I guess the Seattle management was feeling good after that win last night. I think it broke a 4 or 5 game losing streak. :rolleyes:

I hope Clement becomes a star for the Pirates.

Do the Pirates have anybody else they want to trade?

Sanchez to Giants for Alderson

By Jerry Crasnick

ESPN.com

The San Francisco Giants, taking another step to upgrade the National League's 15th ranked offense, acquired three-time All-Star Freddy Sanchez from Pittsburgh on Wednesday for pitching prospect Tim Alderson. Sanchez, 31, won the National League batting title in 2006. He's hitting .296 this year and ranks fifth in the major leagues in doubles. He helps upgrade a San Francisco offense that ranks 15th in the National League in runs scored.

Doumit moving to 1B and Clement stays behind the plate.

I guess once they give up on Steve Pearce, it will open up a spot. I think I might rather put Doumit in RF and put Jones at 1B. He's been kind of ugly in the OF.

Red Sox, Indians closing in on trade

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com

The Boston Red Sox and Cleveland Indians appear to be closing in on a trade that would send Victor Martinez to Boston for three players.

The Red Sox would send right-hander Justin Masterson, 23-year-old left-hander Nick Hagadone of Class A Greenville and a third prospect to Cleveland in exchange for Martinez, sources told ESPN.

Archived