Vick suspended first 4 games

BroadwayJ667

The good news for ESPN this week is that its decision not to devote reporting assets to the Ben Roethlisberger case has allowed it to do some great work regarding the Mike Vick situation.

Earlier in the week, ESPN reported that Vick and Commissioner Roger Goodell would meet this week. Despite rumors that the meeting would not occur so quickly, it happened Wednesday afternoon.

So +1 to Bristol. (And -1 to the idiots who posted the rumor that the meeting wouldn't happen this week.)

Sal Paolantonio and Chris Mortensen of ESPN are now reporting that Vick will be conditionally reinstated early next week, and he'll then be suspended four additional games.

Per the report, Goodell also is expected to warn Vick that any future problems will result in additional punishment. (We were going to say that Vick will be on a "tight leash," but we thought better of it. Oops.)

This means that Vick will be permitted to sign with a new team and participate in training camp and the preseason before sitting out the first quarter of the campaign.

Though it's not a home run for Vick, it's great news. Given his crimes and the fact that he previously lied to Commissioner Roger Goodell's face (and the rest of his body), Vick easily could have been suspended for most if not all of the 2009 season.

But public opinion has generally favored the notion that Vick should receive a second chance. The fact that an upstart pro football league would have been waiting with open arms to sign Vick likely didn't hurt matters, either.

-pft

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The good news for ESPN this week is that its decision not to devote reporting assets to the Ben Roethlisberger case has allowed it to do some great work regarding the Mike Vick situation.

Earlier in the week, ESPN reported that Vick and Commissioner Roger Goodell would meet this week. Despite rumors that the meeting would not occur so quickly, it happened Wednesday afternoon.

So +1 to Bristol. (And -1 to the idiots who posted the rumor that the meeting wouldn't happen this week.)

Sal Paolantonio and Chris Mortensen of ESPN are now reporting that Vick will be conditionally reinstated early next week, and he'll then be suspended four additional games.

Per the report, Goodell also is expected to warn Vick that any future problems will result in additional punishment. (We were going to say that Vick will be on a "tight leash," but we thought better of it. Oops.)

This means that Vick will be permitted to sign with a new team and participate in training camp and the preseason before sitting out the first quarter of the campaign.

Though it's not a home run for Vick, it's great news. Given his crimes and the fact that he previously lied to Commissioner Roger Goodell's face (and the rest of his body), Vick easily could have been suspended for most if not all of the 2009 season.

But public opinion has generally favored the notion that Vick should receive a second chance. The fact that an upstart pro football league would have been waiting with open arms to sign Vick likely didn't hurt matters, either.

-pft

WOW! This is hilarious. I was JUST talking about the difference btwn Big Ben and his situation and Vick already missing 2 YEARS to possibly miss more games right in the "Lounge thread".

This is beyond silly. This guy has already missed 2 years of football. And all I hear is that per ESPN (its not your right to play in the NFL, its a privilege). This is funny because the NFL main connection to its revenue is the fact that they present this type of top talent to fans of the sport.

Why do I hear about Vick everyday? I mean, I've even seen this dudes house on TV!!!

This is sad and not fair.

I wish Ben and Vick the best always, but I think that Vick, like Kobe, OJ, and many others alike are getting, and have got it in the ass by the media.

Thats effin crazy.

WOW! This is hilarious. I was JUST talking about the difference btwn Big Ben and his situation and Vick already missing 2 YEARS to possibly miss more games right in the "Lounge thread".

This is beyond silly. This guy has already missed 2 years of football. And all I hear is that per ESPN (its not your right to play in the NFL, its a privilege). This is funny because the NFL main connection to its revenue is the fact that they present this type of top talent to fans of the sport.

Why do I hear about Vick everyday? I mean, I've even seen this dudes house on TV!!!

I wish Ben and Vick the best always, but I think that Vick, like Kobe, OJ, and many others alike are getting, and have got it in the ass by the media.

Thats effin crazy.

He beat up dogs.

Ben beat up the coochie.

The NFL is denying this.

NFL denying ESPN's report on Vick

Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 23, 2009 9:30 PM ET

NFL_vick2.jpgThe NFL is denying an ESPN report that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has decided to grant conditional reinstatement to suspended quarterback Michael Vick next week, and that the former Atlanta Falcons star will then be suspended for the first four games of the regular season.

According to league spokesman Greg Aiello, that's not the case. At least not yet in the wake of Goodell's meeting with Vick on Wednesday afternoon.

Writing on his Twitter account tonight, Aiello wrote, "Despite what ESPN says, commish has made no decisions on MVick."

Depending on how you interpret Aiello's response and ESPN's report, both could be right.

What if Goodell has given indications that he's leaning toward ruling that way and hasn't made any concrete commitments?

Or, it could simply be a case of the league being unwilling to acknowledge the pending action until it's officially processed and announced.

Either way, we thought it was interesting enough to pass along.

By the way, veteran NFL reporter Dave Goldberg of the Associated Press followed up Aiello's Tweet with one of his own that affirmed Aiello's take: "I've heard same elsewhere."

i disagree with the length of the suspension. it should be much longer.

but since the nfl gives murderers, wife beaters, and all around scumbags a 4 game suspension, Vick deserves exactly what others have received.

and his time in prison shouldnt count. there are no guarantees in life. there is no guarantee to get to play in the NFL. He himself put him in this situation and should be thankful he even has a chance to return.

i disagree with the length of the suspension. it should be much longer.

but since the nfl gives murderers, wife beaters, and all around scumbags a 4 game suspension, Vick deserves exactly what others have received.

and his time in prison shouldnt count. there are no guarantees in life. there is no guarantee to get to play in the NFL. He himself put him in this situation and should be thankful he even has a chance to return.

Oh, I get it. You're the panda that everyone on here was talking about.

Continuing arguably one of its worst weeks since becoming an international sports powerhouse, ESPN has backtracked on its report that quarterback Mike Vick will be suspended four games to start the 2009 regular season.

Controversy erupted on Twitter in the aftermath of the initial report, with NFL spokesman Greg Aiello stating, "Despite what ESPN says, commish has made no decisions on MVick."

The remark was "retweeted" by NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy. ESPN's Chris Mortensen responded with a tweet of his own, "Despite what anyone says, ESPN did not report a decision has been made, based on what I just read on dot.com."

Not long thereafter, Mort clarified himself.

"I take that back," he said. "After this 12-hr drive, I just read the espn.com story and the lead is erroneous. Guess I can't get to bed yet."

The story from ESPN.com currently reads that Vick is expected to be conditionally reinstated, and that the decision could include a four-game suspension.

Thats effin crazy.

OJ?

:rl:

I think that Vick, like Kobe, OJ, and many others alike are getting, and have got it in the ass by the media.

OJ?

:rl:

That's what I was thinking! OJ?!? Who has sympathy for this guy?

Thats effin crazy.

Since when is Vick a "top talent?" He is an awful QB and two years away from the game ain't gonna help him get any better.

I would still be stunned if any team signed him right away.

I still find it mind boggling that people think Vick is entitled to go back to work in the NFL. Try explaining to me why he is so entitled when there are thousands of convicted felons who can't get a job because they have to check "yes" on an employment application when asked if they have been convicted of a felony in the past who will never get a decent job again. I work for a corporation. If I went to jail for two years there wouldn't be a chance in hell of me getting a job here when I got out, or anywhere for that matter. Vick should be thanking his lucky stars that it's only a 4 game suspension.

I still find it mind boggling that people think Vick is entitled to go back to work in the NFL. Try explaining to me why he is so entitled when there are thousands of convicted felons who can't get a job because they have to check "yes" on an employment application when asked if they have been convicted of a felony in the past who will never get a decent job again. I work for a corporation. If I went to jail for two years there wouldn't be a chance in hell of me getting a job here when I got out, or anywhere for that matter. Vick should be thanking his lucky stars that it's only a 4 game suspension.

He's an athlete. He's above normal folk....just like actors. They get as many chances as they want.

very simple

he has a skill that 99.9% of people in the world do not have? the ability to run a 4.3 forty and throw the ball 75 yds in air

if he was an accountant or lawyer or a bricklayer...guess what he is toast

very simple

he has a skill that 99.9% of people in the world do not have? the ability to run a 4.3 forty and throw the ball 75 yds in air

if he was an accountant or lawyer or a bricklayer...guess what he is toast

What does it matter if he can throw the ball 75 yards in the air if it lands 20 yards away from his intended target?

I agree, if its really for the love of football then I say that he should just be like "F" the NFL and play the game that he loves.

Vick went Bankrupt, its not just about football. The guy needs to make some money.

He shouldn't be suspended at all!

I hate what he did as much as anyone but the guy has more than paid his debt to society. He's lost two years of his life/career.

4 weeks isnt going to have a big impact on his attempt to return to the NFL.

The NFL must suspend him in order to show they are serious about player's conduct. It shouldnt matter if he has been away in jail for 2 years. He served his time to society. Now its time to serve it for the NFL.

4 weeks isnt going to have a big impact on his attempt to return to the NFL.

The NFL must suspend him in order to show they are serious about player's conduct. It shouldnt matter if he has been away in jail for 2 years. He served his time to society. Now its time to serve it for the NFL.

and leonard little?

and ray lewis???

and leonard little?

and ray lewis???

Both Ray Lewis and Leonard Little committed infractions during a different commissioner's terms. You are comparing apples to oranges in this regard. Goodell has stated clearly that he demands the players represent the league in a manner he sees fit. He can't go back and punish Lewis and Little for violations committed when he was not in charge.

Both Ray Lewis and Leonard Little committed infractions during a different commissioner's terms. You are comparing apples to oranges in this regard. Goodell has stated clearly that he demands the players represent the league in a manner he sees fit. He can't go back and punish Lewis and Little for violations committed when he was not in charge.

Vick has been punished....

time to move on...he is on double secret probation...

Archived