Write The Jets Now-tell Them To Sign Leon Washington NOW

SoFlaJets

Why?

The Jets don't need to sign Leon now.

Leon's agents and all the other agents need to focus their energies on the NFLPA and get a new CBA in place because it's their clients who are going to be hurt by the uncapped year.

It makes no financial sense for the Jets to re-sign Leon under the terms he wants with the state of the CBA being as it is.

Leon will be a RFA in 2010 AND 2011 making about $2.5 million each year under the highest RFA tender. Leon wants $6 million per.

No thanks.

Leon Washington has zero leverage and until he can prove that he can be an every down back he is not worth the $6 million or more that he is looking for this season. The only thing I would say to them is that if you can get him to agree to a 5 year, $15 million deal, then do that, anything more I probably would not do for a back-up Running Back/Kick Returner who has succeeded in Mike Westhoff's scheme just like Chad Morton and Justin Miller before him.

No thanks.

Leon Washington has zero leverage and until he can prove that he can be an every down back he is not worth the $6 million or more that he is looking for this season. The only thing I would say to them is that if you can get him to agree to a 5 year, $15 million deal, then do that, anything more I probably would not do for a back-up Running Back/Kick Returner who has succeeded in Mike Westhoff's scheme just like Chad Morton and Justin Miller before him.

The issue is not whether Leon is an everydown back. I can never understand why whenever a Jet player wants money the fanbase denigrates his talent. Leon is a dynamic playmaker with the ball who is a multifacited weapon. He is one of the few talents who can score from anywhere on the field in any situation.

The issue is the CBA. That's it. Leon could be Adrian Peterson and the Jets wouldn't give him an extension.

Why? Because the Jets would offer him the heighest RFA tender at $2.5 (1st & 3rd rounder) and if anyone signs him to an offer sheet they will match. The poison pill (which was invented by Mike T in 1998) is illegal now in the NFL.

Get a new CBA and Leon will have his extension. End of story.

The issue comes down to the money that Washington wants as well.

He is seeking $6 million a year and the Jets will NOT pay him that type of money because he is a limited player. Yes, he has game breaking abilities, but he is not an every down player. You do not give a situational player that type of coin. The Jets offered a $2 million a year extension, he turned it down. They should settle with $3-4 million a year, that would not be bad at all. The Jets would be willing to give him that long term deal if he would accept that. However, CBA or no CBA, Leon Washington still would not, and never will, see $6 million a year from the Jets unless he becomes a starter.

They can tender Washington at a 1st & 3rd and if someone does decide to give him that $6 million a year, I guarentee you that the Jets will not think twice about taking the two draft picks and moving foward. They would be fools to match such a deal. Mike T & Co. would laugh at the organization who wants to dish out $6 million per to Washington and find another back-up Running Back elsewhere. Use those 2 1st round picks to find a dynamic, playmaking, STARTING Wide Receiver.

Why?

The Jets don't need to sign Leon now.

Leon's agents and all the other agents need to focus their energies on the NFLPA and get a new CBA in place because it's their clients who are going to be hurt by the uncapped year.

It makes no financial sense for the Jets to re-sign Leon under the terms he wants with the state of the CBA being as it is.

Leon will be a RFA in 2010 AND 2011 making about $2.5 million each year under the highest RFA tender. Leon wants $6 million per.

I agree totally!!

The issue comes down to the money that Washington wants as well.

He is seeking $6 million a year and the Jets will NOT pay him that type of money because he is a limited player. Yes, he has game breaking abilities, but he is not an every down player. You do not give a situational player that type of coin. The Jets offered a $2 million a year extension, he turned it down. They should settle with $3-4 million a year, that would not be bad at all. The Jets would be willing to give him that long term deal if he would accept that. However, CBA or no CBA, Leon Washington still would not, and never will, see $6 million a year from the Jets unless he becomes a starter.

No, the Jets don't want to pay him $6 million per because they think he's a limited player. They don't want to pay that because he's a RFA who won't make $6 million a year.

Why do you think they offered $2 million per? Because it's slightly less than the RFA tender and in negotiations it would raise slightly above it. You think that number is random?

Without the CBA issue, it is not hard to see Leon getting signed at closer to $6 million per than $2 million per. That is, in the $4-5 million range rather than you $3-4.

Oh, and if Leon was a UFA he'd get $6 million on the open market (4 yrs for $24 million or 5 yrs for $30 million easy). The CBA is the issue, not your claim that he is a "limited player."

If you really think Leon Washington gets $6 million per on the market, I can't help you. But that is insanity. The Jets are offering him $2 million per for both the reasons of the CBA and because no organization in their right minds would give Leon Washington $6 million per. The only reason Darren Sproles is seeing that kind of money, on a one year contract, is to make sure LaDainian Tomlinson isn't finished. If Tomlinson were healthy, Sproles would've seen $2-3 million per on a long term extension.

Claim that he is limited? Yeah, he can really start and carry an offense. Riiiight.

A KR/back-up RB is not worth $6 million. Only an idiot GM/Owner would give him that kind of coin.

I guess Leon could be heading to Oakland soon. :rl:

Good riddance. I'm sick of his attitude and belief that he's better than what he really is. Anyone could bring back 2 TD's on Kickoffs for the Jets each year with Westhoff coaching.

If you really think Leon Washington gets $6 million per on the market, I can't help you. But that is insanity. The Jets are offering him $2 million per for both the reasons of the CBA and because no organization in their right minds would give Leon Washington $6 million per. The only reason Darren Sproles is seeing that kind of money, on a one year contract, is to make sure LaDainian Tomlinson isn't finished. If Tomlinson were healthy, Sproles would've seen $2-3 million per on a long term extension.

Claim that he is limited? Yeah, he can really start and carry an offense. Riiiight.

A KR/back-up RB is not worth $6 million. Only an idiot GM/Owner would give him that kind of coin.

I guess Leon could be heading to Oakland soon. :rl:

Good riddance. I'm sick of his attitude and belief that he's better than what he really is. Anyone could bring back 2 TD's on Kickoffs for the Jets each year with Westhoff coaching.

do you actually watch the games

LEON=Team MVP

When you get re-aquainted with reality, 124, let me know.

Maurice Jones-Drew signed a $31 million 5 year extension. Sproles signed 1 year at $6.621 million. Those are extensions, as in, home-town discounts. That's the parameters for what Leon gets as an UFA on the open market. If you don't believe that then you're the one being insane.

do you actually watch the games

LEON=Team MVP

124 has broken up with reality again, I hope he makes up with her.

Being a "limited player" has no basis in the negotiation. It's just a figment of 124's mind.

The market has been set for Leon and the CBA issue is the major roadblock of negotiations.

Darren Sproles had the franchise tag places on him for the lone fact that the Chargers are concerned about Tomlinson's injuries the past few seasons. They would not give him that kind of money in a long term deal and nobody else would either. Really, it isn't that hard to read the reports when someone is given a franchise tag.

Maurice Jones-Drew has handled a lot more of the load in the backfield in Jacksonville than Leon Washington ever has. He is also much stronger. Not to mention, Jacksonville were fools for giving him that much anyway. He isn't worth what he received, either.

Jones-Drew is more proven than Sproles/Washington combined as a Running Back.

Sproles will never see anything near $6 million on the market and neither will Washington. Not until they can prove to be anything more than situational. Unless you find a moronic team.

Being out of touch with reality is believing the CBA is the only thing holding back a $6 million a year extension with the Jets. He will NEVER see that kind of money in New York unless he begins to start taking around 200 carries a season.

How someone can say Leon is not worth the money is beyond me. Like people said, he is a threat anywhere on the field and other teams know that. He doesn't need to be an every down back. Sharing carries is the way it is now in the nfl.

Thomas Jones wont be around for much longer, probably gone after this season if anything. So we going to let go of Leon too and be left with Shonn Greene? Umm..I dont think so.

Leon is the best player on that offense, and I can't wait till he gets more carries and gets paid what he deserves, whether its now or later. He is much more then just KR/PR. He is probably even tougher then TJ, I seen him break more tackles the Jones last season.

Thomas Jones wont be around for much longer, probably gone after this season if anything. So we going to let go of Leon too and be left with Shonn Greene? Umm..I dont think so.

Tender Washington at a 1st & 3rd round value. Let some moronic team sign him, we'll take the two draft picks and with our 2 1st round picks, 2nd round pick and 2 3rd's, select a Running Back to compliment Shonn Greene, who is Thomas Jones' replacement for 2010 and beyond.

Cheaper & easier and an extra 1st round pick. 2 1st round picks gives us great ability to move up and grab the best receiver/player we covet in the draft.

Darren Sproles had the franchise tag places on him for the lone fact that the Chargers are concerned about Tomlinson's injuries the past few seasons. They would not give him that kind of money in a long term deal and nobody else would either. Really, it isn't that hard to read the reports when someone is given a franchise tag.

Maurice Jones-Drew has handled a lot more of the load in the backfield in Jacksonville than Leon Washington ever has. He is also much stronger. Not to mention, Jacksonville were fools for giving him that much anyway. He isn't worth what he received, either.

Jones-Drew is more proven than Sproles/Washington combined as a Running Back.

Sproles will never see anything near $6 million on the market and neither will Washington. Not until they can prove to be anything more than situational. Unless you find a moronic team.

Being out of touch with reality is believing the CBA is the only thing holding back a $6 million a year extension with the Jets.

It's been reported from multiple sources that the CBA is the issue. You're inventing the "limited player" argument.

The market has been set. You can claim that MJD or Sprolles are better than Leon or what have you, but they are comprable players and they're getting $6 million per.

I'm not saying that Leon deserves $6 million, just that as an UFA, that's what he's likely going to get as an UFA because of the market.

I've also noted that without the CBA, I believe the Jets would extend him in the high $4 to mid 5 million per range. But as an UFA on the open market, he'd definately get $6 million per. Guys get overpaid all the time, 124, you know that.

You're completely out of touch, 124.

I simply cannot argue with someone who honestly believes the CBA is the only issue. If that is your belief, you are not going to look past it, and that's fine. You are allowed to believe whatever you'd like. However, in my mind, it is isn't. And it isn't just coming from my mind, but I'll leave it at that.

If Washington continues his stance of $6 million per year or more, he will never be given a long term contract by the New York Jets.

But if you'd like to believe otherwise, you are entitled to it.

I simply cannot argue with someone who honestly believes the CBA is the only issue. If that is your belief, you are not going to look past it, and that's fine. You are allowed to believe whatever you'd like. However, in my mind, it is isn't. And it isn't just coming from my mind, but I'll leave it at that.

If Washington continues his stance of $6 million per year or more, he will never be given a long term contract by the New York Jets.

But if you'd like to believe otherwise, you are entitled to it.

Oh, that's a crock of ****. If you have real information than spill it. If not, then don't play these games.

The limited player argument is just in your mind. Unless you can back it up, then that's all it's going to be.

You've had wiiillllddd offbase opinions in the past, so it's completely reasonable or any of us here to think you've gone off the reservation once again with your opinions.

As to the extension, Leon is not "insisting" on $6 million per. It's a negotiation. He's going to aim high and hope the Jets come close to it just like all other negotiations. He's not going to undersell himself.

As I've said, without the CBA I believe that the Jets would extend him and at closer to $6 million than at $3 million per.

No thanks.

As well as Craig Yeast (no TDs but still a good PR in Westhoff's scheme), Santana Moss, Jonathan Carter, and Jerricho Cotchery. Heck, even Michael Bates had some decent numbers (albeit no TDs) returning kicks for us in 2003.

Leon Washington wants at least $6 million per. And that is straight from the source of the player. He is not looking to be lowballed. He and his agent called the $2 million offered pathetic.

You and everyone else on this website has had wild and offbased opinions before. This is no world wide kept secret. By the way, you've been here since when? October? I havn't had anything crazy in a while so you havn't seen me being crazy. :)

If you really do not believe Washington is insisting on that type of money, you're wrong.

Talk about wanting to suck up to a player. My lord.

You'll see in time.

As well as Craig Yeast (no TDs but still a good PR in Westhoff's scheme), Santana Moss, Jonathan Carter, and Jerricho Cotchery. Heck, even Michael Bates had some decent numbers (albeit no TDs) returning kicks for us in 2003.

Exactly.

So due to all of that, Leon's only true value comes on offense, where he touches the ball less than 100 times a season.

$6 million per worthy? Not quite.

Exactly.

So due to all of that, Leon's only true value comes on offense, where he touches the ball less than 100 times a season.

$6 million per worthy? Not quite.

That's the fatal flaw in your argument, 124.

Players are not paid what they are "worth." There is no intrinsic value in a player and there is no "worth" police out there to demand that teams sign players to what their true value is.

UFA get overpaid every year. Is Bart Scott really "worth" $48 million?

You can worry about what players are "worth" and the rest of us will worry about what players will actually get paid.

The only way that Leon Washington actually gets paid $6 million is if the GM/Owner of the team that covets him is a complete buffon. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see us tender him at a 1st & 3rd round pick and see him end up in Oakland, the biggest moron of them all running the show over there.

The only way that Leon Washington actually gets paid $6 million is if the GM/Owner of the team that covets him is a complete buffon. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see us tender him at a 1st & 3rd round pick and see him end up in Oakland, the biggest moron of them all running the show over there.

Teams overpay ALL THE TIME.

Tanny overpaid for Scott and Faneca. Is Tanny a buffoon?

BUT, Leon is not going to get the huge offer by another team as a RFA. My argument is strictly as an UFA.

You know that because the team has to give up 1st & 3rd, they're not going to also offer top dollar money. That's a double hit.

Tanny did not overpay for Alan Faneca. Faneca is an All Pro LG, one of the Top 3 in the business, he got the kind of money that he deserves. He has fooled many Jet fans into believing D'Brickashaw is an above average tackle.

That's the fatal flaw in your argument, 124.

Players are not paid what they are "worth." There is no intrinsic value in a player and there is no "worth" police out there to demand that teams sign players to what their true value is.

UFA get overpaid every year. Is Bart Scott really "worth" $48 million?

You can worry about what players are "worth" and the rest of us will worry about what players will actually get paid.

+1billion

Whether we realize it or not sports "economies" are what dictate these sorts of salaries. It's also what makes sports pretty fascinating IMO. For example take a look at baseball this off-season. The Yankees operate on a planet separately from others due to their large revenue stream. But many players who were out there took longer to sign and took less then expected due to what the market DICTATED.

The players are employees. Employees in a very brutal sport where your time to succeed is a window of 5-10 years especially at the RB position. When you're an employee at a company you want to make fair market value, especially if your work is comparable to those who set the market. It is up to the HEADS of that company if they want to stay competitive to decide whether or not to reward employees or to try and keep costs low and keep the salaries low. This of course will create discord and people wont' want to work for that company. If you constantly are willing to change contract terms and renegotiate you can be sure that you'll have everyone knocking on your door asking for more money.

That is what we're seeing right now. Leon sees himself comparable to other RB's of his caliber and talent and wants to get paid. The issue is he doesn't have much leverage. And on top of ALL of this- what makes this difficult is that in essence football ruled by a CBA- on that will change after his contract is up. There is no reason to offer him the extension he wants based on that.

Tanny did not overpay for Alan Faneca. Faneca is an All Pro LG, one of the Top 3 in the business, he got the kind of money that he deserves. He has fooled many Jet fans into believing D'Brickashaw is an above average tackle.

How does he deserve that much money? Nobody deserves to make that much for playing a game.

The Jets paid Faneca what they needed to in order to get him to sign with them. Whether or not that was above market value is another discussion entirely.

Oh, and your hatred of Ferguson remains completely nonsensical.

Oh, and your hatred of Ferguson remains completely nonsensical.

Ferguson is the only weak link of the 5 offensive lineman in the running game and when it comes to pass protection, without Faneca alongside of him, he is average. Sorry, truth hurts.

Ferguson is the only weak link of the 5 offensive lineman in the running game and when it comes to pass protection, without Faneca alongside of him, he is average. Sorry, truth hurts.

If that were true it might hurt, but notice how no one ever agrees with you on this rant?

Is Brick our weakest run blocker? Yes, but that is relative. He plays with four outstanding run blockers so by comparison he is not as good. He is hardly a "weak link." A weak link tends to cause the chain to break and that was hardly the case. Brick more than held his own run blocking last year. In fact, he showed tremendous improvement over his first two years and even showed a bit of a mean streak in his run blocking that had been sorely lacking before.

As a pass blocker, he is not just good, he is outstanding and did great a job despite facing an all-star cast of pass rushers week and out last year. Way more often than not, Brick's Pro-Bowl-caliber counterparts cam away empty handed in the sack and pressure department and several spent most games picking their asses off the ground after being pancaked by Brick.

If you had a clue when making this argument you wouldn't look so foolish. Brick is a top 5 LT and if his improvement continues this year at the same rate it has since day 1 his rookie year you can expect him to make the first of many Pro-Bowl appearances at the end of this season.

If that were true it might hurt, but notice how no one ever agrees with you on this rant?

Is Brick our weakest run blocker? Yes, but that is relative. He plays with four outstanding run blockers so by comparison he is not as good. He is hardly a "weak link." A weak link tends to cause the chain to break and that was hardly the case. Brick more than held his own run blocking last year. In fact, he showed tremendous improvement over his first two years and even showed a bit of a mean streak in his run blocking that had been sorely lacking before.

As a pass blocker, he is not just good, he is outstanding and did great a job despite facing an all-star cast of pass rushers week and out last year. Way more often than not, Brick's Pro-Bowl-caliber counterparts cam away empty handed in the sack and pressure department and several spent most games picking their asses off the ground after being pancaked by Brick.

If you had a clue when making this argument you wouldn't look so foolish. Brick is a top 5 LT and if his improvement continues this year at the same rate it has since day 1 his rookie year you can expect him to make the first of many Pro-Bowl appearances at the end of this season.

:rl: :rl: :rl: :rl: :rl:

So because what? Maybe 3 or 4 people don't agree with me on a message board I don't have a clue? Oh boy.

You do realize the Jets don't run anywhere near Ferguson, 99% of the time, don't you? He would break the entire line if they ran toward his way, but since he is such garbage at run blocking, they don't do it anymore. He is one demensional.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson a Top 5 Left Tackle? You are out of you're f'ing mind if you believe such nonsense. Ask another fanbase, ask anyone on NFL Network, NFL Radio, ESPN, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and they will all LAUGH at you if you come and claim that Ferguson is a Top 5 LT. Top 10 MAYBE. Top 5 is just laughable. I bet you even the Jets organization doesn't think that Ferguson is a Top 5 LT.

When you get re-aquainted with reality, 124, let me know.

Maurice Jones-Drew signed a $31 million 5 year extension. Sproles signed 1 year at $6.621 million. Those are extensions, as in, home-town discounts. That's the parameters for what Leon gets as an UFA on the open market. If you don't believe that then you're the one being insane.

Leon and Jones-Drew are really not comparable imo. Drew scores touchdowns. I love Leon, I do. But Drew got paid for a different reason.

Leon can't be an unrestricted free agent for awhile. If the Jets can work something out that is in there best interest then I am for it. But I don't see the need to rush this just because Alvin Keels knows how to use twitter.

Leon and Jones-Drew are really not comparable imo. Drew scores touchdowns. I love Leon, I do. But Drew got paid for a different reason.

Leon can't be an unrestricted free agent for awhile. If the Jets can work something out that is in there best interest then I am for it. But I don't see the need to rush this just because Alvin Keels knows how to use twitter.

Jones-Drew is also going to be carrying a much heavier load for the Jags this year with Fred Taylor gone.

The Jags are paying Drew like a guy who's getting 20-25 carries per game because he is going to be doing exactly that. Leon ain't getting that many touches on offense.

Right. Ferguson's pass blocking depends on a guy whose only skill in that department is not being Adrien Clarke.

:rl: :rl: :rl: :rl: :rl:

So because what? Maybe 3 or 4 people don't agree with me on a message board I don't have a clue? Oh boy.

You do realize the Jets don't run anywhere near Ferguson, 99% of the time, don't you? He would break the entire line if they ran toward his way, but since he is such garbage at run blocking, they don't do it anymore. He is one demensional.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson a Top 5 Left Tackle? You are out of you're f'ing mind if you believe such nonsense. Ask another fanbase, ask anyone on NFL Network, NFL Radio, ESPN, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and they will all LAUGH at you if you come and claim that Ferguson is a Top 5 LT. Top 10 MAYBE. Top 5 is just laughable. I bet you even the Jets organization doesn't think that Ferguson is a Top 5 LT.

I don't give a **** what less educated fanbases think or what some talking head from TV who watches maybe one Jets game a year has to say.

I know what I see with my own two eyes and what my experience from watching this sport for more than 30 years and the 10 I spent playing it as a kid tells me.

Keep being influenced by morons and you'll continue to make moronic statements.

I played the game as well and by watching with my own two eyes, I see nothing but averageness coming from D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Heck, I even played the same god damn position as him. He is average when he doesn't have a Hall of Fame Left Guard alongside of him and even when he does, he still does not play like a Top 5 player at his position in this league.

You see something that most people don't. That happens a lot. I feel unfortunate. D'Brick is not Top 5.

Archived