Belichick requesting replay cameras at G/L

faba

Belichick calls for goal line replay camerasAssociated Press

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The replay is clear to the New England Patriots.

Carolina's Stephen Davis fumbled before reaching the goal line, but was credited with a touchdown. It gave the Panthers a 6-3 lead in Sunday's 27-17 win over New England, but the Patriots still might have led 3-0 had coach Bill Belichick decided to challenge the call.

Instead, he used the play Monday to renew his call for the NFL to put cameras at the ends of each goal line -- similar to those placed on lines in tennis matches -- to give replay officials an accurate view with which to judge challenges by coaches.

"It's been brought up many times, but the league refuses to do it," Belichick said. If implemented, "if you do challenge that play, then there's absolutely one look at it and that will tell you did the ball cross [the goal line] or didn't it cross it."

He wouldn't say if the NFL gave him a reason for not adding the cameras.

"I don't want to get involved in that," Belichick said. "Just talk to them. I'm sure they have an answer for everything."

Clubs vote on the instant replay format and "there has never been any consensus to use cameras for replay other than those of the televising network," AFC spokesman Steve Alic said in response to an e-mail.

The current system is in place through the 2008 season.

Belichick said he didn't have a good view of the play from the field and "I didn't think there was enough evidence to warrant the challenge."

He said he later viewed the coaches' tapes of the game and "I still don't think there is" but added, "I don't know whether it breaks the plane or not. It's pretty close."

His players disagreed Monday.

"Not even close," linebacker Monty Beisel said when asked if the ball had touched the plane of the goal line while Davis had possession.

"Obviously, he didn't score," linebacker Willie McGinest said, but "Bill makes the challenging decisions."

"No," defensive end Richard Seymour said. "He didn't get in."

Seymour had a good view of the play and complained to officials on the field. He said he was told by one of them that Davis fumbled and an offensive lineman recovered in the end zone.

But, Seymour said, "they gave the touchdown to Stephen Davis, so something ain't right."

It came with 1:13 left in the first quarter so the Patriots still had plenty of time left to win the game. But 12 penalties and poor play on special teams and in the running game hurt. Even if the play had been challenged and the call overturned, Belichick said the Panthers still would have a second down inside the 1-yard line.

"Make no mistake about it," Seymour said. "That wasn't the reason that we lost that football game."

Still, on Monday, Belichick spent a large part of his 20-minute meeting with reporters discussing it.

Head coaches can check replays on stadium scoreboards and get input from assistants watching replays in their booth.

"Sometimes, it just depends on the angle," Belichick said. "Whatever camera angles the network feeds have, that's what you have to go by.

"The only way you're going to get a good, true evaluation of that play is to put a camera parallel to the goal line."

Belichick calls for goal line replay camerasAssociated Press

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The replay is clear to the New England Patriots.

Carolina's Stephen Davis fumbled before reaching the goal line, but was credited with a touchdown. It gave the Panthers a 6-3 lead in Sunday's 27-17 win over New England, but the Patriots still might have led 3-0 had coach Bill Belichick decided to challenge the call.

Total BS excuse by Belichick.

Correct me if I'm wrong, couldn't he have challenged that play just by throwing the red flag?

:roll:

I heard his press conference yesterday. He was NOT crying. He explained why he did not challenge the call and went on to another subject. This "crying" is something he has been stating should should be implemented for the past few years, NOT after Sundays game. This would benefit everyone, btw.

Anyway, nice try folks :roll:

Garb, why didn't he challenge the call? I still have not heard why.

He said from his angle it looked like it may have gotten in. In his experience those sorts of calls have a 35% of being over-turned, blah, blah, blah.....he blamed himself.

probably the same reason why no-one told herm to challenge the HOLMES TD...no one told him to..

Exactly what I was thinking sp.

That was very unlike Bill Belichick.

He should have tossed the red flag on that.

Or wait a minute, weren't the Pats out of 1st half timeouts at that time? :shock:

So is Wayne Chrebet.

BB is 100% right. I actually didn't even know they use only the network feeds for replay. Does that seem moronic to anyone else here or is it just me? The meetings in Hawaii must have touched on this

Tags: "We'll keep the replay but I'm not ponying up an extra $250 for special goalline or sideline cams that would make difficult determinations quick and easy."

32 Owners: "Here Here! 8 more years . . . 8 more years!"

#-o

Whats up Faba? Nice seeing you @ the game, definately a good person to watch a game with. Maybe we'll do it again sometime.

As for Bellicheck. I agree. I think i said something along these lines to you during the game. I referred to the on field cameras and said that they either should have goal line cameras, or that they did. Personally i assumed they did, cuz it would be stupid without them, but i guess i could have been wrong. I agree though, there should be GL cameras. Its not hard to set up.

Exactly what I was thinking sp.

That was very unlike Bill Belichick.

He should have tossed the red flag on that.

Or wait a minute, weren't the Pats out of 1st half timeouts at that time? :shock:

I'm actually surprised that you took that stance. If it were me, I wouldn't have challenged the play either.

WOW. Patriot head coaches complaining about wrong calls? STFU. 2 of your superbowls were won because the refs handed you the game.

Suck it Billy Boy.

Actually, he wasn't complaining about the call. He was complaining about the fact that they don't have cameras on the goal line. Something that he has complained about more than once before.

Actually, he wasn't complaining about the call. He was complaining about the fact that they don't have cameras on the goal line. Something that he has complained about more than once before.

This just in.

Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy are requesting all referees to have 2 eyes open at all times, and to not look the other way when the pats fumble or commit pass interference.

Whats up Faba? Nice seeing you @ the game, definately a good person to watch a game with. Maybe we'll do it again sometime.

As for Bellicheck. I agree. I think i said something along these lines to you during the game. I referred to the on field cameras and said that they either should have goal line cameras, or that they did. Personally i assumed they did, cuz it would be stupid without them, but i guess i could have been wrong. I agree though, there should be GL cameras. Its not hard to set up.

Hey Keeb nice to hang out with you at the game also

There is a good point to be made that the most critical position is at the goalline -why not have cameras available there to see if a player breaks the goal line

Archived