Ad Nauseum: Favre leaves door open for return

Vudu

:Typotux:

Favre, Cook leave door open for return

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 29, 2009 1:08 PM ET

The amount of Brett Favre stories will hopefully decrease in the coming weeks, but they aren't going to stop. At best, the volume will go from unbearable to aggravating.

Favre and his agent Bus Cook made sure of that in their comments made in the aftermath of Tuesday's decision to stay retired. For now.

Cook appeared on Sportscenter Wednesday and would not rule out Favre possibly returning to play for the Vikings at some point this season.

Cook said he "doesn't foresee any of that happening right now." (Our italics, since you can't italicize while speaking out loud.)

Cook also spoke about what type of situation would attract Favre: "I don't think he'd go to a team unless it was a contender. In fact, he probably wouldn't go to a team unless its the Minnesota Vikings."

Cook recognized that door might be closed and confirmed that Favre would continue to work out, which Favre spoke about with SI's Peter King. Favre says not to read too much into it.

"I'll toss the ball around, but I ain't tossing it to keep in shape to play," Favre said.

But how can we not take it as a sign when Favre says he's hurt and possibly surprised by his own decision to turn down the Vikings?

"I passed up the greatest chance I could have had right now, and it hurts,'' Favre said. "By saying no, I know I'm leaving an incredible opportunity on the table, and that opportunity is not coming back.''

Favre knows that's not exactly true. Things change fast in the NFL, and there is no telling what situation could arise that would inspire him to play.

"I really believe this is it. I truly, truly believe it's over. But if someone calls Nov. 1, who knows?''

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/29/favre-cook-leave-door-open-for-return/

This ****ing fossil is nothing more than an attention whore. If he does come back I hope his arm falls off while he's blindly heaving the ball downfield. But hey, at least he's having fun :rolleyes:

He still wants to get back at GB for forcing him out the door.
I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to somehow officially retire as a Packer. Nothing surprises me now. I wasn't against the Favre to the Jets move in some ways. In fact, it amused me, and I took it as a good omen. I was ready to roll with it because he was supposed to be a Jet in the first place. I always liked the guy, although the histrionics and the crying and the previous waffling, I could have done well without.

All that being said, he wasn't the only reason for the Jets implosion at the end of last season. It was a team breakdown in many regards, but also one that defies definition. Favre couldn't win one - just ONE - of those West Coast games with his friggin' foot, for Chrissakes? Hell, MY friggin' foot, thanks. Injured or not, I don't cut him as much slack there as some do. It was major sukk even if he had no arms and no legs. Hand the ball off with your ear. Make it up. Anything.

This is beyond a farce at this point. Somebody needs to stick their foot up his azz right about now. :bag:

Watch him un-un-un-un-un-un-un-UN-retire about week 3 of the season. No, I don't stutter.

We could ask Strahan to do it. Favre would probably let him do it, just like he let him fall on top of him to "break" the sack record ;)

Favre rules. It was so much fun last year. Wish he stuck around. Then we could've drafted a first round Quarterback next year, the draft class is better.

Or let Sanchez sit and learn behind him.

Either way, would've been great to have him back.

Or let Sanchez sit and learn behind him.

Either way, would've been great to have him back.

And learn what? How to be a greedy, selfish bastard who doesn't understand the concept of no one player is more important than the team? No thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to somehow officially retire as a Packer. Nothing surprises me now. I wasn't against the Favre to the Jets move in some ways. In fact, it amused me, and I took it as a good omen. I was ready to roll with it because he was supposed to be a Jet in the first place.

Do you mean the Jets almost drafted him?

I always liked the guy, although the histrionics and the crying and the previous waffling, I could have done well without.

Im liked him as well but I dont understand the private office thing, Thats seems very Barry Bonds to me

All that being said, he wasn't the only reason for the Jets implosion at the end of last season. It was a team breakdown in many regards, but also one that defies definition.

HCing dropped the ball no doubt. Injuries on D. Playcalling.

i don't get the animosity towards this guy. i believe he tried his hardest to win last year. sh*t happens. i'm sure he loves playing the game...and it's historically been hard for some of these athletes to walk away from their careers. he probably really wants to play but his body isn't cooperating. i don't have any ill feelings towards him. he was always one of the non-jets that i liked to root for.

i don't get the animosity towards this guy. i believe he tried his hardest to win last year. sh*t happens. i'm sure he loves playing the game...and it's historically been hard for some of these athletes to walk away from their careers. he probably really wants to play but his body isn't cooperating. i don't have any ill feelings towards him. he was always one of the non-jets that i liked to root for.

The guy is a douchebag. He has been retiring and unretiring since 2007. What did he do for your Jets last season? I believe he gave you false hope.

The guy is a douchebag. He has been retiring and unretiring since 2007. What did he do for your Jets last season? I believe he gave you false hope.

he played qb for us. he gave us a much better chance than anything else we had on the roster. so do you know him personally that you know he's a douchebag?

Favre definitely gave us a chance last year. We were on top of the world when we started 8-3.

But if you're going to give him credit for that, you have to blame him for simply not stepping down when he hurt his arm. Maybe the blame falls on the coaches for not taking charge and putting Clemens in there, but there was a tangible difference between Favre for the first 11 games and for the last 5. While Clemens may well have gone 1-4 too, at least he might have minimized the downfield mistakes and Mangini/Schottenheimer might have leaned more heavily on our bread and butter, our running game. But of course, Favre had his consecutive starts streak to maintain.

And there is every indication that Favre was very aloof as a Jet. I'm guessing he may have been this way in Green Bay, too, but being that way in New York is just asking for negative attention. I doubt his teammates appreciated it, either. I remember when Favre first got here, and a few fans noticed he was talking about himself and his legacy during the press conference, and not so much about his new team. He didn't seem genuinely excited to be here. Maybe that showed up a bit down the stretch.

I don't get why people get so excited about disliking Favre. If you don't like the way he played for us down the stretch, fine. But people have been on him for "not sticking to his word" about retiring for some time now, as if Favre had made a promise to them personally.

As long as he can scrape himself together one more time and some team wants to hire him, what's the big deal. Personally I hope he goes as far as he can, it will be fun to watch, like watching Vinny go on and on was fun to watch.

I don't get why people get so excited about disliking Favre. If you don't like the way he played for us down the stretch, fine. But people have been on him for "not sticking to his word" about retiring for some time now, as if Favre had made a promise to them personally.

As long as he can scrape himself together one more time and some team wants to hire him, what's the big deal. Personally I hope he goes as far as he can, it will be fun to watch, like watching Vinny go on and on was fun to watch.

Uh, just ONE one of the West Coast games and we're not having this conversation. We lost to the Raiders, and I knew that would bite us in the end. Seattle, was that a football being lobbed? It's still being autopsied.

Uh, just ONE one of the West Coast games and we're not having this conversation. We lost to the Raiders, and I knew that would bite us in the end. Seattle, was that a football being lobbed? It's still being autopsied.

seattle.....refresh my memory but wasn't that the game where our d-line got manhandled by 5 back-up o-linemen?

I don't get too excited about disliking him, but I dislike him. I think he's a douche. I know he didn't want to play for the Jets and he probably just took the year to get out of GB so he could play for the Vikes, but that doesn't change the fact that he didn''t try. He came in late, didn't bother to learn the offense and acted like he was above it all. As if he were the living embodiment of offensive football and couldn't learn anything. **** him. Oh, and like Anna Nicole Smith and Michael Jackson, I'm sick of hearing about him. He's not the king of ****ing pop and his boobs aren't that big!

seattle.....refresh my memory but wasn't that the game where our d-line got manhandled by 5 back-up o-linemen?

They scored 3 points against a bottom of the barrell D and you want to blame the D line? The D got two turnovers and Favre did nothing with them and threw two picks himself. One was in garbage time, but that was a Chad Pennington day if I ever saw one.

Uh, just ONE one of the West Coast games and we're not having this conversation. We lost to the Raiders, and I knew that would bite us in the end.

Fair enough, if you dislike Favre for the way he played for us late in the season, that is understandable.

But what is not understandable to me is how down people have been getting on Favre for coming out of retirement for several years now. To me, it's obvious that the guy thinks he's spent at the end of every year, but as Jacuzzi baths and time heal the hurts in the offseason the desire to give it a shot returns.

I remember what Keith Richards once said: "When I was in my twenties and saw a guy on stage over thirty I said to myself, 'Look at that guy, over thirty and still doing this'. Then when I passed thirty I promised myself I would go to forty and then hang it up. Now I'm past forty and and you know what? I'm going to keep doing this as long as there is anyone left out there willing to show up to hear me play.'

Archived