***The Official Matt Jones Thread*** - Your home for everything Matt Jones.

uart

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3984684&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The Jacksonville Jaguars have released receiver Matt Jones, an NFL source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Monday.

Jones

The former Arkansas player was charged with cocaine possession in July.

He was suspended for the last three games of the 2008 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. In a plea deal, Jones entered a program that emphasizes treatment.

Jones was released a day early from jail Saturday during a weeklong stay for drinking beer in violation of his plea agreement for the drug charge.

The Jaguars picked Jones in the first round of the NFL draft in 2005. Before his suspension last season, Jones was having the best year of his career, with 65 catches for 761 yards and two touchdowns.

Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen was used in this report.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take him if he could be got cheap. He could be a solid possession/redzone guy. We have nothing besides Cotch right now at WR, and even though we need a #1 guy, Jones could be useful. Cotch, Jones and Keller as possession targets and let whoever we get at 17/Clowney be the deep threat.

Anyone who says he would sign him is doing the same coke Matt Jones is doing.

They guy is a 2 time offender of the NFL's substance abuse policy. That means he's losing 8 games this year with a 1 year ban for his 3rd offense.

What the heck is the use signing him if he can only play half the year?

They guy is a 2 time offender of the NFL's substance abuse policy. That means he's losing 8 games this year with a 1 year ban for his 3rd offense.

one time offender i believe

I was big on him when he got drafted...but obviously he needs to get his life in line.

I'd take him, but for a short deal with few guaranteed money up front.

Hard to believe he'd expect a long deal with guaranteed money. He was only due around $500K and the Jags cut him. Seems like he'll be in camp somewhere at the vet minimum.

i'm not sure this gives him 2nd strike.....

We'll soon see. But it definately seems like it will be. This is from the NFL's substance abuse policy:

The illegal use of drugs and the abuse of prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and alcohol (hereinafter referred to as "substances of abuse") is prohibited [ftnt 1] for players in the National Football League ("NFL"). Moreover, the use of alcohol may be prohibited for individual players in certain situations where clinically indicated in accordance with the terms of this Policy.

FTNT 1 The National Football League ("NFL") prohibits NFL players from the illegal use, possession or distribution of drugs, including but not limited to cocaine, marijuana, opiates, and phecyclidine (PCP). The abuse of prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, and alcohol is also prohibited. For example, the use of amphetamines and substances that induce similar effects (e.g. phenylpropanolamine, the active ingredient in many over the counter decongestants) , absent a verified and legitimate need for appropriate dosages of such substances to treat existing medical conditions is prohibited.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/football/index.html#ftnt1

It does not have to be a second offense with the same drug. It could be an illegal drug (cocaine) and then abusing prescription drugs will lead to a 2nd strike.

Since Jones is in the substance abuse program, a violation related to any other substance (illegal or prescription drug or alchohol) puts him at risk of suspension.

The guy is a total moron. I cant tell you the amount of times I have seen this guy literally draggted out of the bar so F'ed up that he cant even speak let alone walk.

The stories about this guy that come in and out of the locker room are nothing short of pathetic.

Total loser.

seems like Mort screwed up on this one

JAGUARS RELEASE MATT JONES

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 10:49 a.m.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have given receiver Matt Jones plenty of chances to live up to the hype that made the converted quarterback a first-round draft pick nearly four years ago.

Apparently, drinking beer while golfing was the last straw.

According to ESPN

seems like Mort screwed up on this one

JAGUARS RELEASE MATT JONES

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 10:49 a.m.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have given receiver Matt Jones plenty of chances to live up to the hype that made the converted quarterback a first-round draft pick nearly four years ago.

Apparently, drinking beer while golfing was the last straw.

According to ESPN

Why would anyone want to bring in him? I'm not seeing how there is any reason to bring him in.

The same reason you want Mike Vick... he is a law breaking average football player with plenty of physical talent.

Archived