***The Official Matt Jones Thread*** - Your home for everything Matt Jones.

uart

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you agree with Bleed4's claim that " Matt Jones could be the Josh Hamilton of Football...Greatness."? If you do, then I need to find a triple facepalm-- STAT!

I don't agree with anything he says. I still can't believe he mentioned "Greatness."

I do think he deserves another chance.

I'd like to take a chance on Jones, but when I see/hear these things from JiF, who dated a girl whom Jones dated, and Klecko, who I believe might live in Jacksonville or something?, it just, I don't know. I don't want him. Sounds like he could care less and he is just wanting a couple more million.

I don't agree with anything he says. I still can't believe he mentioned "Greatness."

I do think he deserves another chance.

Who? Matt Jones or DWC?

I'd like to take a chance on Jones, but when I see/hear these things from JiF, who dated a girl whom Jones dated, and Klecko, who I believe might live in Jacksonville or something?, it just, I don't know. I don't want him. Sounds like he could care less and he is just wanting a couple more million.

+1

I don't really doubt that what they say is true. Jones is still probably as good as what else we have and would come cheap. I don't really want him (or most of the others out there) but if the team took a chance on him I would understand why.

Well yeah, I went over board when I said "Greatness" but if Josh Hamilton never had a 2nd and then a 3rd chance...He would have never turned out to become the great player that he is today. And Josh Hamilton was sniffing coke, smoking crack and shooting up heroin, I'm not sure it gets any worse than that. I'm not sure Matt Jones has EVER smoked crack or shot up any types of drugs because if he has...It may be a little too late...But thats not the case.

Keep in mind that Matt Jones is still really young, he just turned 26 years of age. Also, he was never a natural WR coming out of college, he was a QB but now he's finially starting to come into his own (4 years later).

Last year...He had his best overall year. Lets just see how far he's gotten as a WR since his rookie year.

2005-36 catches, 432 yards, 5 TD's.

2008-65 catches, 761 yards, 2 TD's.

Keep in mind...He missed 4 games last year...The man had a solid year. He was on pace for 86 catches for 1001 yards...Not bad for a player still learning the position.

The Jaguars took the time to develope him into the WR talent that he is today, now it's time for the Jets to claim this man after the loss of Coles. He could make one hell of a #2 WR.

Give me Matt Jones' 65 catches along with his 761 yards and 2 TD's as our #2 WR here in 2009 any day of the week and twice on Sundays,

Because Stuckey, Baker, Smith and Clowney...COMBINED...Only put up... 66 catches for 643 yards with 3 TD's in 2008. Can anyone say upgrade during the offseason?

Jerricho Cotchery

Matt Jones (6'6-218 pounds)

Chansi Stuckey/David Clowney

Dustin Keller

along with...

Leon Washington

Would give Mark Sanchez plenty of options when dropping back in the pocket.

With our O-Line? With our overall rushing attack? Mark Sanchez would be in a great situation to Succeed right away.

And the thing is, I used to see Reggie Williams all ****ed up and Fred Taylor with him a couple of times. Now Fred didnt look as wasted but who knows maybe he handle his **** better. Point is, that doesnt really bother me that much, you can be a good player with a vice. Its the reports of his work ethic.

Pete Prisco has a 3 hour daily local radio show in Jax. He is all Jags all the time. He brings on coaches, players, formers...everyone. Any time he ever asked about Matt Jones, all anyone would say was, something along the lines of "he needs to figure out if he cares about Football". The stories of this guy on the side line hitting on chicks in the stands totally disconnected with the game are abundant. Thats what scares me aobut Jones.

+1

I don't really doubt that what they say is true. Jones is still probably as good as what else we have and would come cheap. I don't really want him (or most of the others out there) but if the team took a chance on him I would understand why.

He doesnt hold a candle to Cotch, but beyond him, you might be right. I would prefer developing our younger guys who have some talent. I personally think Chansi Stuckey right now is a better WR than Jones and last season was really his rookie year, he is only going to get better. Clowney who knows, but I dont think its that hard to be better then Matt Jones...lol.

He doesnt hold a candle to Cotch, but beyond him, you might be right. I would prefer developing our younger guys who have some talent. I personally think Chansi Stuckey right now is a better WR than Jones and last season was really his rookie year, he is only going to get better. Clowney who knows, but I dont think its that hard to be better then Matt Jones...lol.

That's what I meant. I meant the other guys competing for the spot next to Cotch. I'd rather develop what we have too, but by the time Matt Jones signs the coaches should have a good idea of those young guys. If they aren't going to cut it then bring Jones or some other stiff (Toomer?) in.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Jones-WR-Jaguars Jul. 30 - 12:47 pm et

Free agent Matt Jones claims he's spoken to the Bears, Cowboys, Jets, and Titans about signing a contract.

The only poor (and highly unlikely) fit here is Tennessee. Surprisingly, it also appears that Jones is not on the Ravens' radar. "Things are looking good," Jones said. "Something probably will happen sooner rather than later."

Source: ESPN.com

Related: Ravens, Bears, Cowboys, Jets, Titans

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/30/matt-jones-has-spoken-with-four-teams/

Matt Jones was on pace for 1,000 receiving yards on a mediocre passing attack last season before his three-game suspension kicked in.

With that in mind, the lack of interest in Jones this offseason has been surprising.

Jones said recently, however, that his agent has spoken with the Titans, Bears, Jets, and Cowboys.

"Things are looking good," Jones told 103.7 in Little Rock. "Something probably will happen sooner rather than later. We just want it to be a good fit and somewhere where I can get in there and help a team win."

That none of the teams signed him before camp indicates that he's not exactly a priority. It seems more likely that Jones will join a team after they lose a veteran to an injury.

It's not like Jones is still on the market because of lingering complications about his probation violation. The NFL has already told Jones that he won't be suspended again, and the felony cocaine charges filed against him last year have been dropped.

The Jets are the most intriguing name on the list. The New York Daily News wrote recently that they are looking at the veteran free agent market.

After Jerricho Cotchery, the Jets have a lot of question marks and not a lot of players with a high ceiling. Signing an ascending veteran that has produced like Jones could make rookie Mark Sanchez's introduction to the league a little smoother.

Of course, if the rest of the league thought as highly of Jones' abilities as this post does, he would already have a home.

LET HIM RUN WITH THE "ROCK!"

"The Jets are the most intriguing name on the list. The New York Daily News wrote recently that they are looking at the veteran free agent market."

what the **** are they waiting for ?

unless this is cimini just throwing **** out there

Will be interesting to see if we bring him in. Wouldn't be the worst decision. I don't know, I'm torn because of the personal stories JiF has told us all about Jones.

unless somebody like Clowney, Smith, Wright, Henry, Urritia, or Huey Whitaker steps up and proves they can be productive AND DURABLE week-in and week out NFL-caliber wide receivers then we should sign the guy

Matt Jones to the Jets?

A few of you asked about Matt Jones during the live chat yesterday and Bob Glauber has a little more on that this morning, writing that league sources indicated to him that the Jets and [surprise!] Cowboys might be interested in Jones.

The first step either team would need to take, however, would be to check with the league to see if any further punishment is coming Jones' way as a result of his probation violation. Jones earned a three-game suspension last year after being arrested in a cocaine possession incident.

High risk, obviously, for the Jets if they dip their toe in these waters. But the reward could be high, too. Jones is only 25, he's 6-6 and in four seasons he's averaged 13.0 yards per reception and hauled in 15 touchdowns.

Stuckey is better than Jones anyway. Better speed/quickness, better hands.

Jones has size nd a coke problem, that's about it.

I have to disagree, at least to an extent. Stuckey definitely has better quickness and hands, but I think Jones' deep speed is superior as well as obviously his size. He was really starting to put it together last year and could be solid if he's turned his life around. For the moment Stuckey is a prototypical slot, while he could prove to be more he also be best playing that role instead of being a starter playing on the outside. At the very least Jones adds some height and experience to the WR group, worst case he sucks or steps out of line and gets cut.

I have to disagree, at least to an extent. Stuckey definitely has better quickness and hands, but I think Jones' deep speed is superior as well as obviously his size. He was really starting to put it together last year and could be solid if he's turned his life around. For the moment Stuckey is a prototypical slot, while he could prove to be more he also be best playing that role instead of being a starter playing on the outside. At the very least Jones adds some height and experience to the WR group, worst case he sucks or steps out of line and gets cut.

You're right derp,Chansi is our new Chrebet-a slot guy-we never did replace Keyshawn and maybe a Matt Jones gives us the big guy who can go across the middle and also catch the fade route...

Stuckey is better than Jones anyway. Better speed/quickness, better hands.

Jones has size nd a coke problem, that's about it.

Agreed.

Matt Jones and speed should never be used in the same sentence. With all the discussion about this guy this offseason, no matter where he lands, watch him. He plays the game in slow motion.

If the Jets feel they need Matt Jones, sign him. Personally, I think he is a worthless POS, but hey...sometimes, very rarely, people change. And its not like I feel comfortable with what he currently have on the roster.

Agreed.

Matt Jones and speed should never be used in the same sentence. With all the discussion about this guy this offseason, no matter where he lands, watch him. He plays the game in slow motion.

If the Jets feel they need Matt Jones, sign him. Personally, I think he is a worthless POS, but hey...sometimes, very rarely, people change. And its not like I feel comfortable with what he currently have on the roster.

and this last sentence is exactly why we need to bring SOMEBODY in my fellow Sunshine Stater....remember who we'll be facing JiF....Tom Brady to Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Joey Galloway are going to be putting points on the board...a solid running game and O-Line that goes along with it is useless when you're down 21-0 in the first quarter. We MUST get Sanchez/Clemens some weapons who are PROVEN NFL quality receivers to throw to. Look, I HOPE David Clowney and the rest prove Rex Ryan right when he says he likes what we have-only right now I tend to doubt it.

LOL @ the fact we have an official Matt Jones thread.

I just told my co-worker die hard Jags fan about this and he gave me this look...

:rolleyes:

Yea, why would we need to bring in another WR to compete for a spot when we have such great talent already.

We should be bringing in any WR that we can give a chance to make the team and not cost of a ton of money, we have **** for WR right now.

I could careless how much coke Jones does because I know for a fact a lot of NFL players (all pros) do coke, I've seen it.

If he comes here and makes the team then he's better then what we got, if he comes here and gets cut it cost us nothing.

Archived