***The Official Matt Jones Thread*** - Your home for everything Matt Jones.

uart

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He had 47 first downs in 12 games. Crotch had 43 in 16 and Coles had 44.

That's because the Jags literally had no other receiver who was remotely competent.

Mick, we've watched him play for four years because we live in Jacksonville and sadly are forced to watch the Jags play every Sunday, you're basing your judgements of him as a player on numbers on a piece of paper.

Trust me when I say this: Matt Jones is not a good football player.

Not to mention that he was not even mature enough to handle Jacksonville Beach and you think he can handle New York? If this comes to NY he'll be dead within a year of a drug overdose.

That's because the Jags literally had no other receiver who was remotely competent.

I'm not a huge Matt Jones fan, but this statement does not support your argument. It's easier to catch the ball when nobody else on your team can catch or get open? I think it's easier when you are facing the #3 or #4 CB. Jones didn't get cut because he lacks talent. He got cut because he's a huge headache. That's probably why we won't be taking a look.

I'm not a huge Matt Jones fan, but this statement does not support your argument. It's easier to catch the ball when nobody else on your team can catch or get open? I think it's easier when you are facing the #3 or #4 CB. Jones didn't get cut because he lacks talent. He got cut because he's a huge headache. That's probably why we won't be taking a look.

No he got cut for a variety of reasons.

- His terrible attitude.

- His lack of dedication to improving his game.

- His generally lazy performance.

- His lack of actual improvement.

He had 47 first downs in 12 games. Crotch had 43 in 16 and Coles had 44.

Yes, I read that wrong, he did have that many first downs, but once again, its still not that impressive to me. To use Chansi again, 22 of this 32 catches were for 1st downs.

I dont think those that want this guy have actually watched him. If you did, you wouldnt be impressed.

FWIW, I was talking to the 2 biggest Jags fans I know about how our mb's are blowing up with love for Matt Jones. They both immediately laughed and asked why and followed it with some insult about how bad he is.

- His terrible attitude.

That pretty much sums it up right there...not much else to say about him.

Yes, I read that wrong, he did have that many first downs, but once again, its still not that impressive to me. To use Chansi again, 22 of this 32 catches were for 1st downs.

I dont think those that want this guy have actually watched him. If you did, you wouldnt be impressed.

FWIW, I was talking to the 2 biggest Jags fans I know about how our mb's are blowing up with love for Matt Jones. They both immediately laughed and asked why and followed it with some insult about how bad he is.

That pretty much sums it up right there...not much else to say about him.

In the words of Charles Barkley: Matt Jones is turribull.

You to live in the area and don't like him. I could careless what he's like off the field, I meet pro players all the time and 95% of them are complete ass holes.

Jones is better then anyone on our team other then Crotch, there is no other way about it. I'm not saying Jones is that good I'm saying our WR are that bad and we need help.

Ryan wants to have a ground and pound O which means we are going to need as many first downs as possible and Jones could do that. Having Jones and Keller on the field as well as a good running game would be hard to cover. You need a big DB to cover both as well as needing one to help with run support.

I just woke up so my grammar is probably worse then usual. :Typotux:

You to live in the area and don't like him. I could careless what he's like off the field, I meet pro players all the time and 95% of them are complete ass holes.

Jones is better then anyone on our team other then Crotch, there is no other way about it. I'm not saying Jones is that good I'm saying our WR are that bad and we need help.

Ryan wants to have a ground and pound O which means we are going to need as many first downs as possible and Jones could do that. Having Jones and Keller on the field as well as a good running game would be hard to cover. You need a big DB to cover both as well as needing one to help with run support.

I just woke up so my grammar is probably worse then usual. :Typotux:

Mick, the guy sucks ass as a football player. Let it go.

Mick, the guy sucks ass as a football player. Let it go.

Yes because you say so. Please so me how any of the WR on our team other then Cotch are better then him. I could careless how he is as a person. You and JiF have yet to post one fact about him on the field that makes him not better. The only thing that could be said is he doesn't score a lot of TDs but niether do any of our WRs other then Cotch.

Our WR suck and Jones would be an improvement.

Yes because you say so. Please so me how any of the WR on our team other then Cotch are better then him. I could careless how he is as a person. You and JiF have yet to post one fact about him on the field that makes him not better. The only thing that could be said is he doesn't score a lot of TDs but niether do any of our WRs other then Cotch.

Mick, I don't think it's about "what kind of person he is." He could be a total POS and it wouldn't matter. But some believe he is a drug addict the likes of Quincy Carter. Regardless of talent such players are inherently unreliable.

Actually, I like Smith, Stuckey and Clowney a lot better than Matt Jones. All three of them have demonstrated a better grasp of the position in the limited opportunities.

Limited? Clowney had one opportunity. One. The other two didn't do much. Your hatred of Matt Jones sounds like most of the DRob hate around here. The guy sucked, but he started. Why not hate the **** that couldn't beat him out on the depth chart. I will repeat I don't have a problem with not going after Jones, but it's based on attitude and off the field problems, not talent or production.

Mick, I don't think it's about "what kind of person he is." He could be a total POS and it wouldn't matter. But some believe he is a drug addict the likes of Quincy Carter. Regardless of talent such players are inherently unreliable.

I deal with pros all the time and 25% of them do coke and most of them suck as people. I could careless that he does coke. Do you think the Giant fans cared LT was doing coke during the game?

I deal with pros all the time and 25% of them do coke and most of them suck as people. I could careless that he does coke. Do you think the Giant fans cared LT was doing coke during the game?

LT was a "reliable" cokehead. He's the only professional athlete I've seen who coke didn't affect his performance on the field.

All the talented cokeheads had their careers suffer (1980s Mets for example) except for LT.

If Jones won't get suspended and his production won't suffer because of his coke use then, hey, he should snort a line for me!

We have pointed those things out Mick, you have just chosen to ignore them for some odd reason.

When you think of Matt Jones think of Brad Smith without the natural athletic instinct and no heart or guts to speak of.

The only reason he has gotten any playing time in Jacksonville is because there has been a complete dearth of receiving talent on that team since Jimmy Smith retired.

Had he been on the Jets the last few years he would have gotten on the field less than Brad Smith and Chansi Stucky because he sucks so bad and those guys are 1000 times better at playing the game than him.

He's a lousy route runner. He's slow and awkward. He has no guts and can not catch a pass in traffic to save his life.

Someone made a comment about him being the "best" receiver on the Jags last year based on the fact that he led the team in receptions, well, Wes Welker led the Pats in receptions the last two years, was he the best receiver on their team?

Matt Jones drew mostly single and zone coverage because teams were a lot more afraid of the Jags underachieving TE Marcedes Lewis and Maurice Jones-Drew out of the backfield. In other words, he was the guy teams tried to force the Jags to beat them with and how well did it work out, the Jags won all of five games. :rolleyes:

Limited? Clowney had one opportunity. One. The other two didn't do much. Your hatred of Matt Jones sounds like most of the DRob hate around here. The guy sucked, but he started. Why not hate the **** that couldn't beat him out on the depth chart. I will repeat I don't have a problem with not going after Jones, but it's based on attitude and off the field problems, not talent or production.

Read my last post, it's based mainly on his lack of talent as a football player.

We have pointed those things out Mick, you have just chosen to ignore them for some odd reason.

When you think of Matt Jones think of Brad Smith without the natural athletic instinct and no heart or guts to speak of.

The only reason he has gotten any playing time in Jacksonville is because there has been a complete dearth of receiving talent on that team since Jimmy Smith retired.

Had he been on the Jets the last few years he would have gotten on the field less than Brad Smith and Chansi Stucky because he sucks so bad and those guys are 1000 times better at playing the game than him.

He's a lousy route runner. He's slow and awkward. He has no guts and can not catch a pass in traffic to save his life.

Someone made a comment about him being the "best" receiver on the Jags last year based on the fact that he led the team in receptions, well, Wes Welker led the Pats in receptions the last two years, was he the best receiver on their team?

Matt Jones drew mostly single and zone coverage because teams were a lot more afraid of the Jags underachieving TE Marcedes Lewis and Maurice Jones-Drew out of the backfield. In other words, he was the guy teams tried to force the Jags to beat them with and how well did it work out, the Jags won all of five games. :rolleyes:

If he was on the Jets last year he would have been 3rd string but this year he would be 2nd and still be drawing single coverage and I still think he's better then anyone we have other then Cotch.

I'm working a double today so I'm out of here. Continue the debate later.

If he was on the Jets last year he would have been 3rd string but this year he would be 2nd and still be drawing single coverage and I still think he's better then anyone we have other then Cotch.

I'm working a double today so I'm out of here. Continue the debate later.

He would have gotten cut in training camp had he been on the Jets last year.

- His terrible attitude.

Wasn't Kris Jenkins saddled with some of the same gripes before coming here?

Actually, I like Smith, Stuckey and Clowney a lot better than Matt Jones. All three of them have demonstrated a better grasp of the position in the limited opportunities.

This might be going a little far, smith was a gadget gy for us who took more snaps under center then at wideout and clowney has all of one catch in his nfl career, so to say they have a better grasp of the position then an actual nfl #1 wr starter no matter how bad he may be is just a little outside the realm of reality.

I love clowneys potential, I think smith has his uses and stuckey can be a good #3 possibly, but none of the three have really demonstrated anything yet.

This might be going a little far, smith was a gadget gy for us who took more snaps under center then at wideout and clowney has all of one catch in his nfl career, so to say they have a better grasp of the position then an actual nfl #1 wr starter no matter how bad he may be is just a little outside the realm of reality.

I love clowneys potential, I think smith has his uses and stuckey can be a good #3 possibly, but none of the three have really demonstrated anything yet.

Neither has Jones.

The entire city of Jacksonville hates this guy. Not because he is a jerk, but because he is a lousy football player.

When you think of Matt Jones, think of a cross between Justin McCareins and Johnny Lam Jones with less balls than McCareins and less football ability than Lam Jones.

Neither has Jones.

The entire city of Jacksonville hates this guy. Not because he is a jerk, but because he is a lousy football player.

When you think of Matt Jones, think of a cross between Justin McCareins and Johnny Lam Jones with less balls than McCareins and less football ability than Lam Jones.

some things to ponder....

Is Matt Jones on the jags the number 32 ranked starting #1wr?

If Cotch were a #1 starting wr, where do you think he would rank and who do you think would be ranked worse?

If Cotch were a #1 starting wr, where do you think he would rank and who do you think would be ranked worse?

Jerricho Cotchery is not a #1 WR in this league, thats for sure. We better hope and pray that either Chansi Stuckey or David Clowney can step into that #2 role and perform, and perform very well, or else we're going to be in deep, deep trouble. Dustin Keller will help, but you can't have just a Tight End either.

I just had an epiphany, SIGN MATT JONES!!! Get it done Tanny.

The threads started about Matt Jones once you guys see how bad he actaully is would be of Epic proportions that Jets MB's have never seen before.

If Kerry Rhodes is hated on by Jets fan for his attitude and play...I cant imagine the things that would be said about Matt Jones after watching his poop play every sunday.

Chansi Stuckey spent plenty of time on IR. Clowney wasn't healthy enough to be on the field for more than one catch. These are probably the favorites for #2 and #3. I do accept your hypothosis that teams were double covering Mercedes Lewis and Jones-Drew and leaving Jones alone. He is a converted QB and it's no shock that he spent plenty of time sucking. He's still probably better than what we have.

Neither has Jones.

The entire city of Jacksonville hates him because they invested a first round pick on the douche. I am not in favor of making any major investment, but you can't deny that if he came to the Jets he'd be the odds on favorite for starting at #2 WR.

some things to ponder....

Is Matt Jones on the jags the number 32 ranked starting #1wr?

My boss is a huge Jags fan and I just discussed this with him. I asked him flat out "would you consider Matt Jones to be ranked as the worst #1 receiver in the league?"

His answer: "Easily, he was so bad that when we cut him, we left ourselves with exactly zero receivers on the roster."

In other words, the Jaguars literally felt that having no WRs was better than having Matt Jones.

There are Jaguar fans out there? Could've fooled me as they still need to sell half the stadiums seats that arn't tarped already to not be blacked out come September.

As for Jones, he wasn't the #1 in Jacksonville for the last few seasons.

And for christ sake, there is nothing at all "beastly" about Matt Jones. He is absolute garbage. The Jags have ZERO WR's and cut a first round pick and you fools think this guy is a beast. Its quite literally moronic to called Matt ****up Jones a beast.

I'm one of those who would take him on the Jets but wouldn't give up **** for him. Only if it's a low risk move.

He's a terrible WR by #1 standards, but could at least be someone to lob one up to in the endzone.

Also, consider the alternative - Brad Smith? David Clowney? It's not like we have a core of Fitzgerald's going on here.

I'd probably hate him as a Jet, I think he's a POS human being, but would still accept that on the field, he's probably better than anything we have - Which is emphasising the sad state of affairs that is our WR group more than anything else.

Archived