***The Official Matt Jones Thread*** - Your home for everything Matt Jones.

uart

I'm one of those who would take him on the Jets but wouldn't give up **** for him. Only if it's a low risk move.

He's a terrible WR by #1 standards, but could at least be someone to lob one up to in the endzone.

Also, consider the alternative - Brad Smith? David Clowney? It's not like we have a core of Fitzgerald's going on here.

I'd probably hate him as a Jet, I think he's a POS human being, but would still accept that on the field, he's probably better than anything we have - Which is emphasising the sad state of affairs that is our WR group more than anything else.

What he said.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm one of those who would take him on the Jets but wouldn't give up **** for him. Only if it's a low risk move.

He's a terrible WR by #1 standards, but could at least be someone to lob one up to in the endzone.

Also, consider the alternative - Brad Smith? David Clowney? It's not like we have a core of Fitzgerald's going on here.

I'd probably hate him as a Jet, I think he's a POS human being, but would still accept that on the field, he's probably better than anything we have - Which is emphasising the sad state of affairs that is our WR group more than anything else.

Last year was basically Stuckey's first year and watching him was more impressive than watching Matt Jones for 4 years. Stastically Chansi produces what Matt Jones did for his first 3 years. Potential wise, I think Chansi has more than Matt because Matt didnt do **** for 3 years with nobody around him And Chansi caught that many balls with guys like LC, Cotch, Keller, and Leon who all got quite a few balls thrown their way.

My point is, I think Chansi is progressing as a WR much faster and better than Matt Jones. So I dont think it would take long for Chansi to put up Matt Jones type numbers in a system where he is the 2nd option.

Last year was basically Stuckey's first year and watching him was more impressive than watching Matt Jones for 4 years. Stastically Chansi produces what Matt Jones did for his first 3 years. Potential wise, I think Chansi has more than Matt because Matt didnt do **** for 3 years with nobody around him And Chansi caught that many balls with guys like LC, Cotch, Keller, and Leon who all got quite a few balls thrown their way.

My point is, I think Chansi is progressing as a WR much faster and better than Matt Jones. So I dont think it would take long for Chansi to put up Matt Jones type numbers in a system where he is the 2nd option.

I can understand the opinion that Stuckey will perform better than Jones, but I still do not agree with the idea that Jones' numbers were somehow bloated by being the only option, while Stuckey suffered by having other decent players around him.

I can understand the opinion that Stuckey will perform better than Jones, but I still do not agree with the idea that Jones' numbers were somehow bloated by being the only option, while Stuckey suffered by having other decent players around him.

Why dont you buy that? He was their number 1 option. Typically the number one option catches more balls then everyone else on the team. Consequently, the numbers generally reflect that favoritism.

Matt Jones was their #1 and Chansi was our #4.

Why dont you buy that? He was their number 1 option. Typically the number one option catches more balls then everyone else on the team. Consequently, the numbers generally reflect that favoritism.

Matt Jones was their #1 and Chansi was our #4.

Jones had 41 catches, 643 yards 33 1st and a 15.7 ave but only 4 TD his first year ever playing WR in 14 games. His 2nd year his numbers dropped off but his 3rd year in 12 games he had 65 catches, 761 yards, 11.7 ave and 47 1st but only 2 TDs. Not bad for someone who never played WR, Drew was the main TD guy which hurt Jones TD numbers I'm sure a little but I think we are going to be depending on the run in the red zone as well so no big deal.

Chansi's first year he had in 15 games 32 catches, 359 yards, 11.2 ave, 22 1st and 3 TDs.

Chansi also did this while being covered by a scrub because he was the number 4 WR. I agree that he didn't get the ball thrown to as much but it is what it is so I'm not sure how you're saying Chansi had better numbers.

We should sign Jones and let him compete against our great WRs and if he makes the team and does a good job we'll be happy. If he doesn't make the team or plays bad you and Klecko can post how you were right and evenone else is wrong so it's a win win situations.

What's the problem with signing someone who might be able to help the team? Especially if we can get him cheap.

Jones had 41 catches, 643 yards 33 1st and a 15.7 ave but only 4 TD his first year ever playing WR in 14 games. His 2nd year his numbers dropped off but his 3rd year in 12 games he had 65 catches, 761 yards, 11.7 ave and 47 1st but only 2 TDs. Not bad for someone who never played WR, Drew was the main TD guy which hurt Jones TD numbers I'm sure a little but I think we are going to be depending on the run in the red zone as well so no big deal.

Chansi's first year he had in 15 games 32 catches, 359 yards, 11.2 ave, 22 1st and 3 TDs.

Chansi also did this while being covered by a scrub because he was the number 4 WR. I agree that he didn't get the ball thrown to as much but it is what it is so I'm not sure how you're saying Chansi had better numbers.

We should sign Jones and let him compete against our great WRs and if he makes the team and does a good job we'll be happy. If he doesn't make the team or plays bad you and Klecko can post how you were right and evenone else is wrong so it's a win win situations.

What's the problem with signing someone who might be able to help the team? Especially if we can get him cheap.

I already stated I want to sign him. The threads bashing him will be epic! And I never say I told you so. Not my style.

• 1 month later...

Posted by Mike Florio on July 7, 2009 10:11 AM

Free-agent receiver Matt Jones, a first-round pick in the 2005 draft, successfully has completed a "drug court" program, according to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

As a result, felony cocaine charges filed against him last year have been dismissed.

But the road wasn't smooth. Jones spent a week in jail earlier this year after testing positive for alcohol, in violations of the terms of the drug court program.

Jones will remain in the NFL's substance abuse program until 2010, even though he currently doesn't have a team. The Jaguars cut him after he was released from jail, even though he generated in 2008 the highest reception and yardage totals of his career.

In twelve games, Jones caught 65 passes for 761 yards.

The numbers would have been even higher if he hadn't been suspended three games as a result of his entry into the drug court program.

It remains to be seen whether any other team takes a chance on Jones, who has turned out to be one of many first-round picks in 2005 who have failed to live up to their NFL potential.

Thats generous. He stays clean in hopes he signs...if he even cares enough to play the game. If he does and he signs, he will be doping again mid-season.

**** it, it worked for LT. Sign him, we need as many WRs as we can get right to compete for a starting job and we'll be able to get him for cheap.

Thats generous. He stays clean in hopes he signs...if he even cares enough to play the game. If he does and he signs, he will be doping again mid-season.

He'll relapse by the start of the season.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

I remember the story about the Bengals' starting RB who went on a coke binge on Saturday night, the day before the Bengals faced the Niners in the SB. He was a total mess the next day and couldn't play in the game. Many believe that his absence cost his team the championship. He claimed that he had been "clean" from drugs before then.

Who the **** does that? Cocaine addiction is crazy.

He'll relapse by the start of the season.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

I remember the story about the Bengals' starting RB who went on a coke binge on Saturday night, the day before the Bengals faced the Niners in the SB. He was a total mess the next day and couldn't play in the game. Many believe that his absence cost his team the championship. He claimed that he had been "clean" from drugs before then.

Who the **** does that? Cocaine addiction is crazy.

there are a lot of people I know who are clean and sober for many years SMC, it CAN be done-recovery IS possible

He could suck and still be a lot better than David Clowney/Brad Smith.

I just want another WR.

No, actually he couldn't.

If Matt Jones sucks and Clowney turns out to be great, how is he better?

Here's the difference: we really have no idea how good Clowney can be when given a chance to play fulltime, we KNOW Matt Jones sucks.

You have to WANT to recover. You think he does?

I think he has a great incentive EY, it's either wise up or get a job at K-Mart. I know what I'D do. As for Burress, there's a pretty good chance that Goody Two Shoes Goodell suspends his ass anyway-he ISN'T a Patriot you know.

Here's the difference: we really have no idea how good Clowney can be when given a chance to play fulltime, we KNOW Matt Jones sucks.

65 catches for 760 yards and 4 TDs doesn't suck Kleck. That's twice the number of catches that Chansi had last year. What happens if God forbid Stuckey, Clowney, Smith, Wright and Henry turn out to be exactly who we thought they were? The we're in big trouble bro.

You have to WANT to recover. You think he does?

+1. Plenty of people are able to turn their lives around, however most of them didn't go to "Drug Court" to avoid jail time and still manage to relapse a couple of times.

On a board where people say with straight faces that Chad Pennington is "very good" Matt Jones does not suck. He's a borderline starter. Stuckey, Clowney and the rest are pretty much unknowns. I'm not saying we have to sign Matt Jones, but if you were picking your fantasy team Jones probably goes earlier in the draft than the Jets bunch. ;)

+1. Plenty of people are able to turn their lives around, however most of them didn't go to "Drug Court" to avoid jail time and still manage to relapse a couple of times.

On a board where people say with straight faces that Chad Pennington is "very good" Matt Jones does not suck. He's a borderline starter. Stuckey, Clowney and the rest are pretty much unknowns. I'm not saying we have to sign Matt Jones, but if you were picking your fantasy team Jones probably goes earlier in the draft than the Jets bunch. ;)

And he's the first guy you cut in a desperate attempt to sign Clowney after week one. :Nuts:

65 catches for 760 yards and 4 TDs doesn't suck Kleck. That's twice the number of catches that Chansi had last year. What happens if God forbid Stuckey, Clowney, Smith, Wright and Henry turn out to be exactly who we thought they were? The we're in big trouble bro.

And if Matt Jones were even a decent receiver he would have had 90 catches for 1300 yards and 12 TD last year with the complete and utter lack of other targets David Garrard had to work with.

I have seen every game Matt Jones has played in his career as I live in Jacksonville and for some reason they insist on putting the Jaguars on television down here.

The guy resembles a palsy victim on the field. There really is no other way to describe Matt Jones as a receiver. The guy lacks coordination, discipline, guts. He ran a 4.2 at the combine but runs a 5.2 in pads. He looks uncoordinated and out of his element on the field.

JiF and pretty much every single Jaguar fan will back me up on this. I've honestly never seen a fanbase as happy to cut loose a former 1st round pick as Jaguar fans were to dump Matt Jones. That should tell you something.

Yes, it is twice as many, but he was their first target. Chansi was 4 possibly a 5 choice for Favre behind Coles, Cotch, Keller and Leon.

Bottom line, he is not that good. If they decide to sign him on the cheap, I wouldnt cry. I would just expect absolutely nothing other then numerous threads bombing the guy about how bad he is...just watch some tape. He is awkward, slow and just not good.

I know I have said this before, but living in Jax and being surrounded by Jags fans (yes they exist) I dont know a single fan that was sad to see Matt Jones gone. And they felt this way before they signed Holt.

Archived