***The Official Matt Jones Thread*** - Your home for everything Matt Jones.

uart

Oh, he's both. I promise you that.

Wouldn't doubt for a second...dumbass millionaire doing coke in a parking lot in the middle of the day...lol and he gets a free pass.

If our choice is between Jones or staying put...I'm staying put and letting Smith and Stuckey show what they've got.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand the argument that the lack of receivers on the Jags somehow means Jones should have had great numbers. IIRC, when Coles went down Cotchery's numbers fell off the face of the earth and everybody made excuses because there was nobody else drawing attention.

just a quick thought, would you really judge a reciever who is being thrown to by David Garrard.

maybe they are just that bad, or maybe they are better. I still maintain that Smith, Clowney and Stuckey will shine this year.

but what the hell give him a shot

...when did Matt Jones bribe certain members of this board to believe he would add any quality to any WR corps? Did he get you guys brand new Rolexs? Or brand new Rolexs and Rolls Royces? How many more seasons of irrelevancy does he need to have before ya'll are convinced at how horrible he is? If his numbers last season was his "breakout" performance, then, um, wow.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Signing Matt Jones in 2009 would be a repeat of us signing Charles Wilson in 1995. In other words, a TOTAL waste of time.

I dont see the problem. You bring him in and have him compete with Smith, Stuckey and Clowney. The best WR plays opposite Cotchery, and the fan base understands that the team did everything it could to field the best offensive product.

If he sucks it up, cut him loose, and be short a minimal signing bonus.

I dont see the problem. You bring him in and have him compete with Smith, Stuckey and Clowney. The best WR plays opposite Cotchery, and the fan base understands that the team did everything it could to field the best offensive product.

If he sucks it up, cut him loose, and be short a minimal signing bonus.

Signing Matt Jones does absolutely nothing to suggest that the team is trying to field the best offensive product.

Signing Matt Jones does absolutely nothing to suggest that the team is trying to field the best offensive product.

Yes... it does. He is still very young and still has awesome great size and very good athleticism. Who knows what a change of environment could do for a player who if you project his 12 games into a full season he would be close to 90 catches and 1100 yards...

Yes... it does. He is still very young and still has awesome great size and very good athleticism. Who knows what a change of environment could do for a player who if you project his 12 games into a full season he would be close to 90 catches and 1100 yards...

That's weak.

Sounds serious.

Matt Jones: "It was a bad mistake"

Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 16, 2009 9:15 PM ET

In a revealing, contrite interview, former Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Matt Jones acknowledged the depth of his problems that have left him currently unemployed as he tries to catch on with another NFL team.

Jones told Michael C. Wright of the Florida Times-Union that he has learned a very hard lesson.

The former first-round draft pick was arrested last summer when he was caught by police cutting up cocaine in a car with a credit card.

Then, Jones served a week in jail for violating his probation by admittedly drinking alcohol on a golf course. Jones was arrested on March 9 for contempt, and the Jaguars cut him from the roster exactly one week later.

"[Cocaine] is something I hadn't really done in the past, so it's not like there was ever a drug problem," Jones told the Times-Union. "[The incident] was something where I was with some of my buddies. It was a bad mistake, bad judgment on everybody's part."

And that mistake has triggered serious consequences for Jones' career.

At this point, no deal is in the offing with an NFL team for the former University of Arkansas star even though he's not facing any pending punishment from the league office with the exception of a $50,000 fine.

"We've had dialogue with multiple teams," Jones' agent, Dave Butz, said. "I think [his prospects for catching on with a new team] are excellent.

"We're excited now to find the best fit for Matt. He's scot-free as far as punishment and ready to have a great year."

Jones, who caught 65 passes for 716 yards last season prior to being suspended by the NFL, admitted that his work habits weren't up to par during his time with the Jaguars.

"My first year, I was just running around, being an athlete," Jones said. "The second and third year, I kind of started to figure everything out. Then last year, I finally knew how to get open, was learning how to play receiver."

However, Jones violated his plea agreement and was sentenced to jail for contempt.

"I just had some bad advice from people who were close to me that were like, 'Hey, you can drink a couple of beers. It's not a big deal,'" Jones said. "In the NFL program, you can drink alcohol. But there were a lot of different rules [from the drug court and the league] that I was looking at going through all that.

"The bottom line was it was a mistake I made and paid for. Really, I can't point the finger at anybody else but myself."

And Jones has tarnished his reputation severely.

In addition to his off-field problems, Jones' work ethic is definitely under scrutiny.

Wright spoke with an unnamed former NFL head coach about how Jones is perceived around the league, and the review wasn't a positive one.

"I don't know the specifics of Matt's situation, but guys like him and Mike Vick -- obviously, Matt's situation isn't as serious -- but I think teams are reluctant to deal with character problems," the anonymous coach said. "There have been guys who have come through in the past I've worked with [that ran into legal difficulties] who are still trying to get back in.

"Once nobody trusts you, it's hard to get back into the league. Another thing about Matt is he's got a bit of a rep for being a lazy guy."

For Matt Jones, it's a lot of self-imposed obstacles to overcome.

However, at least he sounds committed to trying to change his ways.

"I'm just sorry for making these mistakes and how everything turned out," Jones said "I let down my family, friends and people close to me, my teammates," Jones said. "I feel bad for my mother having to go through so much in everyday life, people saying stuff to her.

"At the same time, all this has brought our family closer together. Everybody makes mistakes. Anybody who knows me, they know my heart and know there was never any type of problem with drugs or alcohol. I can't worry about what other people are thinking."

Sounds unemployed.

LOL! I know right, going the sympathy tip to draw up some interest. I see this daily as a recruiter with the unemployment rate as high as it is...I have literally had grown men cry to me as if thats going to make me push harder to find them work.

The outside issue with Jones isnt what bothers me, its an issue but thats not what worries me, its his work ethic, which on all accounts from former coaches and players is absolutely horrible.

It was a one time thing Matt? Really?

Funny, I've only heard about 50 stories from 50 different people about seeing you and Reggie Williams at Jax Beach bars so ****ed up you could barely stand up on like a nightly basis when you played here.

But this was the one time you did coke. Sure, that's believable. :rolleyes:

It was a one time thing Matt? Really?

Funny, I've only heard about 50 stories from 50 different people about seeing you and Reggie Williams at Jax Beach bars so ****ed up you could barely stand up on like a nightly basis when you played here.

But this was the one time you did coke. Sure, that's believable. :rolleyes:

Yep. Blatant lie. I know for a fact that Matt Jones is a coke head.

Yep. Blatant lie. I know for a fact that Matt Jones is a coke head.

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this. You guys have been saying he's a cokehead and he's claiming he was cherry. I believe your hearsay and speculation more than I believe him. (That's not sarcasm).

OTOH, he seems to be saying the right things. That's more than I expected. Sounds word for word like one the PED press conferences.

not for nothing but prior to that incident, Matt Jones was known as soft... not a "real" NFL player... not part of the locker room...

all of a sudden he gets busted for Coke and he becomes the Jags #1 wr. from that point until the rest of the season he had like 65 catches.

don't listen to anything what the media says... that coke thing totally helped his rep... and maybe even his career.

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this. You guys have been saying he's a cokehead and he's claiming he was cherry. I believe your hearsay and speculation more than I believe him. (That's not sarcasm).

OTOH, he seems to be saying the right things. That's more than I expected. Sounds word for word like one the PED press conferences.

I have no reason to lie about this, he used to run with a chick that I used to run with...stopped running with her because she loves coke too much. But when we were together, I heard plenty of stories of her and Matt Jones up all night snorting away.

If Pacman Jones can get 2nd/3rd chances in the NFL, then so can this dude.

Only difference, is PacMan can play. Matt Jones, not so much.

Someone will give him a chance if he can convince a club that he has changed his work ethic. Hopefully, thats not the NY Jets.

WTF?

How can he be "contrite" if he's blaming other people?

Take these two passages:

"[Cocaine] is something I hadn't really done in the past, so it's not like there was ever a drug problem," Jones told the Times-Union. "[The incident] was something where I was with some of my buddies. It was a bad mistake, bad judgment on everybody's part."

And

"I just had some bad advice from people who were close to me that were like, 'Hey, you can drink a couple of beers. It's not a big deal,'" Jones said. "In the NFL program, you can drink alcohol. But there were a lot of different rules [from the drug court and the league] that I was looking at going through all that.

Buyer big time beware.

First, I doubt buy "it was a one time thing" excuse about the cocaine. But put that aside, he just blamed his buddies and other people he was close to for the 2 incidents.

How is that taking responsibility? How does that show any maturity? If anyone buys this they're being a dope. He should totally be called on this.

Only difference, is PacMan can play. Matt Jones, not so much.

Someone will give him a chance if he can convince a club that he has changed his work ethic. Hopefully, thats not the NY Jets.

Adam Jones had a great year playing for the Cowboys. :rolleyes:

Not the point, PacMan was awesome at Tenn. Matt Jones was not awesome in Jax.

True. But I still think taking a chance on Matt Jones is not a risk. It's like we're going to offer him a **** load of money. We already know he isn't going to get punished by the league.

I'd give him a one year deal and see how it works out.

Exactly. And people think we're taking a risk with this guy. This is no risk whatsoever.

That's right, if there's anything that can be learned from Pacman Jones, it's that 2nd and 3rd chances for morons pay off handily.

WTF?

How can he be "contrite" if he's blaming other people?

Take these two passages:

And

Buyer big time beware.

First, I doubt buy "it was a one time thing" excuse about the cocaine. But put that aside, he just blamed his buddies and other people he was close to for the 2 incidents.

How is that taking responsibility? How does that show any maturity? If anyone buys this they're being a dope. He should totally be called on this.

Damn Sam you stole my thunder. Good post ! +1 . To me, it doesn't sound like he's taking ownership of the problem at all. I was in favour of the Jets bringing him in and giving him a second chance. Now ? No way. Let him be someone else's problem child.

I believe in 2nd chances. I feel like this guy can upgrade our receiving position than it already is.

Exactly man.... This man has natural talent. Ever heard of Josh Hamilton? Has anyone heard of what types of drug problems he had? WAY worse than Jones.

Matt Jones could be the Josh Hamilton of Football...Greatness.

Archived