Failed Inspection - Question about reinspection??

PhinHater

So I failed on June 30.

Paperwork says: "If this vehicle is not rpesented within 45 days from today, it may be subjected to another complete inspection."

right below that is...

"However this vehicle must pass inspection by 07/31/2009 at any facility, or it may be subjected to registration suspension."

My mechanic said I had 45 days. - had to order some parts - getting it fixed on Tuesday.

DMV's paperwork is really confusing.

Anyone know the truth?

So I failed on June 30.

Paperwork says: "If this vehicle is not rpesented within 45 days from today, it may be subjected to another complete inspection."

right below that is...

"However this vehicle must pass inspection by 07/31/2009 at any facility, or it may be subjected to registration suspension."

My mechanic said I had 45 days. - had to order some parts - getting it fixed on Tuesday.

Anyone know the truth?

Sounds to me like if you go for an inspection and fail you have 45 days to fix that issue and retest the portion of the inspection you failed. BUT, failing a test does not exempt you from having your vehicle inspected by the end of your current inspection.

For example:

your inspection has an expiration of sept 1, you go today to get it inspected. It fails due to a cracked window, you have 45 days from today to get it fixed and reinspect the window portion, if you take longer than 45 days you have to do a whole new inspection test on everything, and maybe by that point you now have exhaust problems as well. If you get it fixed within the 45 days they just inspect the window and sign off, not looking at the other stuff. Since your original inspection does not expire until 9/1, you have 30 days of valid inspction left, so in actuality you really only have 30 days to fix it and get a new inspection sticker or dmv will suspend your registration. So while you have up to 45 days to fix the issue that caused you to fail, the DMV wants you to always have a valid inspection sticker, and that date is not extended along with the 45 days to fix and reinspect.

So I failed on June 30.

right below that is...

Anyone know the truth?

What state are you in ? Did the inspection station remove the old sticker ? (They should have if it's NY ) In that case they would issue you a temporary sticker. If you're having the mechanic who failed it, fix it, there should be no problem.

Archived