SJ Reviews: 'Funny People'..Moralist dram-edy that hits mark (3 1/2)

SouthernJet

Funny People is NOT the typical Apatow comedy. So you will be hugely dissapointed if that is what you are looking for. It has all the Apatow lunacy in its caustic humor, but it is mainly in the end a drama with comedic overtones.

Comedy is throughout, dont despair, but expect the moralistic theme also.

Sandler is a famous comedian, who is obviously lonely in his hilltop mansion. He gets the news early in flick thats he is terminally ill and only hope is a 'experimental' medicine approach with 8% success rate. So he accepts the death sentence and then re-evaluates his life. This is the theme of the movie, and through the mayhem and off color jokes, the viewer should never lose sight of that.

Enter Rogen who is hired as a joke writer/go-fer.

Beyond this is spoiler territory, but suffice to say its a moral play where he reconnects with people from his past, where he vows he knows he was wrong and lived his life wrong. It boils down to the age old theme 'If I could do it over, I would have done it different'.

The cast is 1st rate: Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, Leslie Mann, Eric Bana, Jonah Hill, and Jason Schwartzman Very famous cameos really spice up the flick,

I get where this movie wants to go, despite its length. I really think this flick will resonate more with the over 30 crowd than the younger folks. I truly expect many of the Apatow crowd will say 'WTF', but he wasnt out to make another Superbad, Knocked Up or 40 Year Old Virgin.

They call them dram-edies for a reason. I think Apatow succeeded in his attempt and I think it's Sandler's best acting job ever. Not even close, his best job.

3 1/2 stars_002.gif's

I saw this movie this afternoon and your review is spot on, SJ.

There were a couple of really funny moments, but it seemed this movie was not about the comedy so much as it is a reflection on mortality and human weakness, etc. In alot of ways it reminded me of Sideways, though Sideways was the far superior film (imo), this was still a really enjoyable watch. I also agree that you have to be over 30 to appreciate the themes.

Eminem and Jason Schwartzman were very good, but Sandler was great. He's finally learning how to act and not over-act. He really carries the movie.

I saw this movie this afternoon and your review is spot on, SJ.

There were a couple of really funny moments, but it seemed this movie was not about the comedy so much as it is a reflection on mortality and human weakness, etc. In alot of ways it reminded me of Sideways, though Sideways was the far superior film (imo), this was still a really enjoyable watch. I also agree that you have to be over 30 to appreciate the themes.

Eminem and Jason Schwartzman were very good, but Sandler was great. He's finally learning how to act and not over-act. He really carries the movie.

great comparison with Sideways..I agree it had that vibe....

This is the first good thing I've heard about this movie. I decided to see The Collector instead when I went Friday Morning. I'll probably check it out sometime this week.

I passed on The Collector after I saw the reviews come in..Maybe I will catch it at 1.50 theater in a few weeks..

Saw The Hurt Locker instead of Collector..

Hurt Locker through the roof GREAT!!!!

I passed on The Collector after I saw the reviews come in..Maybe I will catch it at 1.50 theater in a few weeks..

Saw The Hurt Locker instead of Collector..

Hurt Locker through the roof GREAT!!!!

I can't believe you pay attention to the critics/reviews. 95% of the time they are incorrect.

However, Horror Critics gave it anywhere from 3.5 to 4 so the horror critics were right. Very cool/good movie.

I can't believe you pay attention to the critics/reviews. 95% of the time they are incorrect.

However, Horror Critics gave it anywhere from 3.5 to 4 so the horror critics were right. Very cool/good movie.

Critics are right 95% of time, when you use compilation of 35 critics..I NEVER listen to a partiicualr critic but look at compilation. That way a few people cant spoil the average #. But, for certain genres or actors , I go regardless of reviews. But when I have no allegiance, I use a national compilations as a guide. Sort of like looking at 20 people's review of a new Plasma TV, as opposed to listening to 1 person. When you factor in 20 opinions, you start to get a 'feel' if its good or bad or middling.

And I understand Horror critics like it, thats why I will probably see at dollar theater..

BUT, FYI..Horror critics like every horror flick ..I read the reviews, and they virtually never saw a horror flick sucks..Its thier 'thing' and I get that..

Its just like Gaming magazines are already giving GI Joe good reviews, but everyone else saying boring 2 hours of video game cranage on screen with no plot..

Sorry SJ but I'm the opposite. If most critics call it a bad movie, or an average movie, it is usually better. When the majority call it a good movie, it almost never is.

If you liked any of the Saw movies, you'll love the Collector.

Sorry SJ but I'm the opposite. If most critics call it a bad movie, or an average movie, it is usually better. When the majority call it a good movie, it almost never is.

If you liked any of the Saw movies, you'll love the Collector.

you may just have dyometrically different taste then the norm. But that is cool and good you realize that..

Sometimes a good idea is to find a few reviewers over time who match your tastes.. I have a few who are akin to my tastes, who I look at when I cant decide based on overall averages or my own needs (I go to all French flicks, Phillip Seymor Hoffman, Laura Linney, and spy thrillers regradless of reviews :D )

I liked 1st 2 Saw movies, been disspaointed in last ones..

I will see Collector in afew weeks at dollar theater or before then if nuthin strikes my fancy, as wife is abig horror fan also..

you may just have dyometrically different taste then the norm. But that is cool and good you realize that..

Sometimes a good idea is to find a few reviewers over time who match your tastes.. I have a few who are akin to my tastes, who I look at when I cant decide based on overall averages or my own needs (I go to all French flicks, Phillip Seymor Hoffman, Laura Linney, and spy thrillers regradless of reviews :D )

I liked 1st 2 Saw movies, been disspaointed in last ones..

I will see Collector in afew weeks at dollar theater or before then if nuthin strikes my fancy, as wife is abig horror fan also..

I trust Kyle Smith of the Post, even though he throws a turd in there every now and then. I will NEVER listen to Roger Ebert or any one of the old Hollywood-connected guys. Too much conflict of interest guiding their hands on reviews.

I trust Kyle Smith of the Post, even though he throws a turd in there every now and then. I will NEVER listen to Roger Ebert or any one of the old Hollywood-connected guys. Too much conflict of interest guiding their hands on reviews.

hmmm..you may mean Schallit or Rex Reed,,But Ebert is far from connected,,He is pretty honest and has had many stars pissed at him..

Saw it lastnight.. the part at the Docters is the funniest part IMO.. movie was more of a Drama with funny parts rather a Comedy with dramatic parts like SJ said... good movie but 2 1/2 hrs is to long for a funny movie...

it was long, but again, it wasnt a true comedy in any sense of the word..

It seemed like it came out with a bang in the first hour-ish or so, and then it dragged....just dragged. I still liked it and it wasn't a typical comedy, but under 2 hours would have been needed.

I think the length is attributed to fact that they spent so much time on the 'sick' thread (and rightfully so), they couldnt just neatly wrap up the 'well' thread in 30 minutes..

Archived