*sigh* will it never end?

stormshadow19

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=136981

Holland relieved about Datsyuk return

Pavel Datsyuk

Canadian Press

9/20/2005 11:40:07 AM

Suddenly the Detroit Red Wings feel a whole lot better about their chances this season after getting star centre Pavel Datsyuk back into the fold.

For GM Ken Holland, it was a tortuous month of negotiations and a roller-coaster of emotions before finally plucking the silky smooth playmaker out of Russia.

"I spoke to Pavel this morning," Holland said Tuesday from Detroit. "It's all confirmed. He's coming back. We certainly feel like we've won the lottery."

Datsyuk, a restricted free agent, agreed to a two-year deal worth a little more than $3.8 million US a season. It ends a bizarre soap opera that had many twists and turns, including two clubs in Russia fighting over his rights and also offering a multi-million dollar contract.

"Until you're walking in a man's shoes, you don't know what factors into his decisions," Holland said. "In the end, looking at this in hindsight, he had a tremendous offer there. He's a great Russian player who was pursued very hard and I'm sure it was a difficult decision for him.

Click here to find out more!

"But in talking to him today, he told me he was very, very happy to be coming back to Detroit."

Credit Holland for doggedly pursuing his man even when it looked nearly impossible to get him back. He stayed in daily contact with agent Gary Greenstin and never gave up. And he may have also caught a break when Russian politics entered the picture.

Datsyuk signed a contract with Avangard Omsk earlier this month, but it was then matched by Moscow Dynamo, the team that Datsyuk played with during the lockout last year. Omsk then fought for Datsyuk's rights and the matter had yet to be heard in arbitration before Datsyuk finally decided enough was enough and he was headed back to the NHL.

"I think it was Sunday, Sept. 4, when I got the news late at night that Pavel had signed with a team in Russia," Holland said. "I stayed in constant communication with his agent in Russia. Gary was upfront throughout all this.

"Early on it looked like Pavel would stay in Russia and over the course of a couple of weeks, because of circumstances over in Russia, I think it became a possibility that Pavel would return to the NHL."

Holland, who expected Datsyuk in Detroit as early as Saturday and as late as Monday, can now breathe a sign of relief - his plan worked out. He chopped down his payroll and released good players in order to make room for the two star restricted free agents he desperately needed back.

"We made a decision to buy out some players, (Darren) McCarty, (Derian) Hatcher and (Ray) Whitney, and also made a decision not to re-sign Mathieu Dandenault - who we made an offer to but could only go so far - so a big part was to free up money in the hopes of being able to re-sign Henrik (Zetterberg) and Pavel," Holland said.

"And thank goodness it's worked out because it certainly wasn't looking very promising 10 days ago."

Zetterberg signed a $10.6-million, four-year deal Sept. 7, a deal worth $2.65 million a season.

In Datsyuk, the Wings solidify their depth at centre along with Steve Yzerman, 40, Kris Draper, 34, and Robert Lang, 34. And they get a more developed Datsyuk.

"When he last played here two seasons ago, he had 30 goals and close to 70 points, and he was 24 years of age," Holland said. "Now he's two years older. He had a great year last season helping Dynamo win the Russian championship and also had a great world championship.

"He's going to face a little more attention from other teams this season but certainly he gives our team a different look."

Datsyuk, who turned 27 in July, had a breakthrough season in 2003-04, his third in the NHL. He tied for the team lead in scoring with 30 goals and 38 assists. He has 154 career points (53-101) in 209 regular-season games - all with Detroit.

Whoopie... great....

• 2 weeks later...

The DedWings are headed for a long stretch (multiple seasons) in the NHL cellar.

Goon hockey is out. The new era is all about speed & skill, which the Dedwings sorely lack.

The "so called" Hockeytown is going to become a Ghost town as tumbleweeds blow through an empty arena and the fans cry "whhaaaaaaa".

Unsportsmanlike Conduct: The league will review and assess fines to players who dive, embellish a fall or a reaction, or who fake injury in an attempt to draw penalties. The first such incident will bring on a warning letter; the second will result in a $1,000 US fine; the third will result in a $2,000 US fine; and the fourth will result in a one-game suspension.

- Public complaints or derogatory comments toward the game also will result in fines.

With this new rule in place, I ecpect the Dedwings to all be in debt by the all-star break. Hahaha.

No, Peter Forsberg was never on the Wings, and he's now in Philly.

Are the Rangers even an NHL team anymore? It's hard to tell... where have they been? Oh, that's right, spending more than the Wings, and losing.

And, Unsportsmanlike Conduct has been around for years, Polly. Man, you're ******* stupid.

I was baiting you to come out of hiding, faba!!!

Did you see that Sh#t-eating grin on Lindros' face last night?

I have been on a low profile lately but bashing my teams gets me out from my cubbyhole-

Esche has not played very well the first couple of games for your Flyers

Jetstone:

You see the box the link in the middle of the screen? If says You have no new messages or you have 1 new message.

CLick on that link. Those are private messages. I PMed you a few weeks about but you haven't read it. No more nude pictures here man.

You are making me sick. Male a$$ hair is nothing something I need to see before lunch. PM me back if you have any questions.

Jetstone:

You see the box the link in the middle of the screen? If says You have no new messages or you have 1 new message.

CLick on that link. Those are private messages. I PMed you a few weeks about but you haven't read it. No more nude pictures here man.

You are making me sick. Male a$$ hair is nothing something I need to see before lunch. PM me back if you have any questions.

Max:

Are you studying at the TomShane School of intelligent Hockey posts?

Oh, and who won the cup most recent? The Lightning. Out of teams people root for here? The Red Wings Scoreboard!

I think you may be confused. Yeah, a Detroit player hoisted the Stanley Cup. It doesn't count unless it's won on the ice. Who is that, Artest? What did he do, punch someone for it?

wallace.jpg

I think you may be confused. Yeah, a Detroit player hoisted the Stanley Cup. It doesn't count unless it's won on the ice. Who is that, Artest? What did he do, punch someone for it?

wallace.jpg

No, dumbass, that's Rasheed Wallace.

Oh, and when was the last time the Rangers won the cup? 1994? At least the Red Wings have made the playoffs (and won a cup) this century. 2002, bucko. Look it up. And, now I'm done making you look stupid.

Jetstone: That picture is even more disturbing than the one's that needed to be deleted. :roll:

What's the matter GGG you can not stand the greats of hockey with his achievement of success- tell Bobby Clarke about your problem

Archived