Sunday 8/2 Camp Updates

SoFlaJets

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DaBall Hawk is getting some reports from somewhere and saying that Clemens pretty much sucks-picked off twice already this morning

Hey Jimmy please feel free to post any other links or info here. Unfortunately we don't have anyone out at camp today.

Thanks.

Mark Sanchez Steps Up In Practice,Clemens Continues Downward Spiral

Posted by A. Greenbaum On August - 2 - 2009

I have been begging one of the Jets Quarterbacks to step up in practice, today, someone did. You would think it would be the player that has been in this offense for four years, and played in NFL games. If you thought so, you are wrong. Today, the rookie took over the team and possibly the starting job with a very solid performance during practice.

On a cold, rainy day in Cortland, Mark Sanchez found himself with the first team more than usual. The move was probably prompted by Kellen Clemens looking like a turnover machine the past couple days, which continued in practice today. Maybe he learned a little too much from Brett Favre last season? While Clemens sat back and missed reads, overthrew receivers and continued to turn the ball over, Mark Sanchez lit it up in 9 on 9 drills with several touchdown passes and more importantly, no turnovers.

Sanchez has the charisma this team needs and he

Mark Sanchez Steps Up In Practice,Clemens Continues Downward Spiral

Posted by A. Greenbaum On August - 2 - 2009

I have been begging one of the Jets Quarterbacks to step up in practice, today, someone did. You would think it would be the player that has been in this offense for four years, and played in NFL games. If you thought so, you are wrong. Today, the rookie took over the team and possibly the starting job with a very solid performance during practice.

On a cold, rainy day in Cortland, Mark Sanchez found himself with the first team more than usual. The move was probably prompted by Kellen Clemens looking like a turnover machine the past couple days, which continued in practice today. Maybe he learned a little too much from Brett Favre last season? While Clemens sat back and missed reads, overthrew receivers and continued to turn the ball over, Mark Sanchez lit it up in 9 on 9 drills with several touchdown passes and more importantly, no turnovers.

Sanchez has the charisma this team needs and he

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197169&page=2

DaBallHawk has posted some good updates.

Good to hear Sanchez is playing well but I'm concerned that he's going to win the job by default. Clemens is apparently looking awful right now. I mean seriously, there should be two rules a QB should keep when playing in a QB competition. Try not to be too aggressive and DON'T THROW NEAR DARRELLE REVIS!

Interesting reports on Shonn Greene, noce to see he came back and showed a little fire today. He could be vital for this team this season, with our passing attack we're going to need as much firepower as possible from the running game. He should be a very good weapon to have, especially against tired defenders.

NY Jets Camp: Morning Practice News & Notes

by M.A. Mehta/The Star-Ledger

Sunday August 02, 2009, 9:57 AM

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Jets practice is still in progress. But here a few tidbits from the morning session so far.

Rookie running back Shonn Greene suffered a scare when he crumbled to the ground after getting run over by linebacker Kenwin Cummings in a 1-on-1 pass blocking drill in the first hour of practice.

Greene, who immediately grabbed his right ankle in pain, tried to walk it off, but soon hobbled off the field. He returned without incident a few minutes later.

Greene, who was run over by LB Larry Izzo moments earlier, had trouble with the same pass blocking drill Saturday as well when Bryan Thomas delivered his welcome-to-the-NFL moment to the rookie. Greene, however, showed some explosion carrying the ball when he returned.

NT Kris Jenkins, had a sleeve over his strained left calf, rode the stationary bike ...

RB Danny Woodhead was back at practice after getting knocked woozy on Friday...

Kellen Clemens received some natured ribbing from his teammates when he improvised on a 9-on-9 running drill by completing a pass to a wide-open Tony Richardson out of the backfield. Anything to win the QB job.

Cornerback Darrelle Revis continued his white-hot start to training camp by intercepting Clemens in redzone 7-on-7 drills. Revis stepped in front of Brad Smith on out route. inside the 10-yard line

It is amazing how he has actually gotten worse. I am not sure if they will even feel comfortable with him being a backup to Sanchez.

Once you cross the line of "suck" it doesn't matter how far below the line you go. He sucked 2 years ago, what makes you think he won't suck now?

I'd rather go with the unknown than the known suck.

Once you cross the line of "suck" it doesn't matter how far below the line you go. He sucked 2 years ago, what makes you think he won't suck now?

I'd rather go with the unknown than the known suck.

Well when you are a 2nd round pick the thought is that you can improve. I thought the year he played that he would get better. His stats were terrible but it was a terrible situation, no oline etc. I thought he could improve. But clearly he has not.

Well when you are a 2nd round pick the thought is that you can improve. I thought the year he played that he would get better. His stats were terrible but it was a terrible situation, no oline etc. I thought he could improve. But clearly he has not.

Usually, I'd agree, but one thing you just can't be as an athlete is scared. If you looked at the guy playing, you saw that deer in the headlights look. When I see that, it's time to move on. He may play a good game or 2, but if he's scared, he can't be relied on.

Trust me, if I can see it, the DEFENSE sees it.

Usually, I'd agree, but one thing you just can't be as an athlete is scared. If you looked at the guy playing, you saw that deer in the headlights look. When I see that, it's time to move on. He may play a good game or 2, but if he's scared, he can't be relied on.

Trust me, if I can see it, the DEFENSE sees it.

The same goes for David Carr to an extent. His rookie year I thought he was in a tough situation but would get better. Never happened, not to his potential level anyhow.

I'd be leery of slamming Clemens and/or Sanchez too hard right now. Those receivers can't get open to save their lives. I am serious. AT frst I thought that it was just Revis and SHeppard being THAT good, but when I saw Lowery and Coleman sticking people, I realized that the receivers were just THAT BAD.

Clemens' picks yesterday were a case of Leonhard coming underneath in zone coverage--very Ed Reed-like--and sneaking in front of out-routes. The only way a QB can get those patterns back is to threaten the safeties deep, and the Jets just can't do that right now. The Pats' secondary is going to have a field day.

I'd be leery of slamming Clemens and/or Sanchez too hard right now. Those receivers can't get open to save their lives. I am serious. AT frst I thought that it was just Revis and SHeppard being THAT good, but when I saw Lowery and Coleman sticking people, I realized that the receivers were just THAT BAD.

Clemens' picks yesterday were a case of Leonhard coming underneath in zone coverage--very Ed Reed-like--and sneaking in front of out-routes. The only way a QB can get those patterns back is to threaten the safeties deep, and the Jets just can't do that right now. The Pats' secondary is going to have a field day.

and you made the great point yesterday that I haven't seen anywhere else on the Web, that BECAUSE of the weak receiver corps that it could hamper the development of the QBs. Watching young quarterbacks with happy feet is not a pretty sight. I am all for them signing either Plaxico, Matt Jones or Amani Toomer -even the prolly done Marvin Harrison. I am just not sold on the guys we have now either TS and it's starting to piss me off.

I'm all for signing Matt Jones. I don't even rate him as a good player but I think he's a big upgrade over what we'll have after Cotchery. I think Stuckey should make for a good slot WR.

we need somebody bro...all I'm reading is how these scrubs when they do happen to get open are dropping passes left and right. I hope the team is taking notice-and making phone calls

If you bring in Harrison right now he is the best receiver on the roster, even over Cotchery. Even in a mentor role, Harrison could do so much for this team that I can't undestand why he isn't here already. Toomer is done, though, imo. I am not up for signing Matt Jones. I just don't see him as focused or dedicated to the game, and if they introduce that to the Jets already young WR corps, it could be the bad apple that spoils the bunch.

If you bring in Harrison right now he is the best receiver on the roster, even over Cotchery. Even in a mentor role, Harrison could do so much for this team that I can't undestand why he isn't here already. Toomer is done, though, imo. I am not up for signing Matt Jones. I just don't see him as focused or dedicated to the game, and if they introduce that to the Jets already young WR corps, it could be the bad apple that spoils the bunch.

Yes. Just get it done already. I'm really shocked we have come this far with this garbage, without picking ANYONE up.

every time I think about us perhaps signing Marvin I think back to Art Monk-anyone else get that?

every time I think about us perhaps signing Marvin I think back to Art Monk-anyone else get that?

Different situations, imo. Toomer was a long-strider who was shot, and was brought into a team loaded with cancers. Harrison would be coming in to a group of receivers desperate for a leader, to play with two young QB's desperate for anyone to get open. Monk was brought in an expected to be an importnat player--Harrison would be brought in for his mentorship.

Different situations, imo. Toomer was a long-strider who was shot, and was brought into a team loaded with cancers. Harrison would be coming in to a group of receivers desperate for a leader, to play with two young QB's desperate for anyone to get open. Monk was brought in an expected to be an importnat player--Harrison would be brought in for his mentorship.

Harrison didn't talk to his teammates in Indy. Would he actually be a mentor?

I thought that was what we had Henry Ellard for...we need a starter opposite Cotchery who ISN'T named Brad Smith...Harrison or Jones (who I watched on ESPN and looks like he has his head back on straight)

Archived