Sunday 8/2 Camp Updates

SoFlaJets

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just the compensation it's the contract. If Edwards were happy with his contract he'd be staying with the Browns. He wants crazy money and he isn't exactly Mr. Reliable. People that want to pay Leon $6M are going to balk at the money Edwards is looking for.

Aw, c'mon. Compensation shmompensation. Just pay them all. Give Leon the $6M per year he's demanded and give Edwards the $10-12M per year he's probably seeking as well. We need more posting here saying the Jets should "just pay" them.

Assume that

- there will be no CBA extension or salary cap after this year

- if there is we will not need to adhere to it

If it was as simple as just getting him for a reasonable draft pick and a reasonable contract, Edwards would have been traded or extended months ago.

I wonder if someone like Edwards (or Plaxico) isn't part of the reason the Jets are playing hardball with Leon right now. That extra $2-4M per year that separates the two sides may be the difference that gets us a different starting WR.

I wonder if someone like Edwards (or Plaxico) isn't part of the reason the Jets are playing hardball with Leon right now. That extra $2-4M per year that separates the two sides may be the difference that gets us a different starting WR.

I was thinking the same thing. Need something to pay those guys with and there's a good chance they aren't happy with what they have.

SNY reported that Jenkins' calf injury is worse than they thought, and he may miss more than just a few days.

Rex Ryan said he might miss more time than "we expected" and most of the estimates were now putting it at a week. He was already exercising with the strength coach and riding the bike with a sleeve on his calf.

Aw, c'mon. Compensation shmompensation. Just pay them all. Give Leon the $6M per year he's demanded and give Edwards the $10-12M per year he's probably seeking as well. We need more posting here saying the Jets should "just pay" them.

Assume that

- there will be no CBA extension or salary cap after this year

- if there is we will not need to adhere to it

If it was as simple as just getting him for a reasonable draft pick and a reasonable contract, Edwards would have been traded or extended months ago.

Isn't Leon already under contract for 2009 SE? If so, then we can make him play that contract out and then either sign him after the season or slap a franchise tag on him or does the CBA throw all that out the window?

Isn't Leon already under contract for 2009 SE? If so, then we can make him play that contract out and then either sign him after the season or slap a franchise tag on him or does the CBA throw all that out the window?

It's even better than that Jimmy. Lack of a CBA means Leon will be a restricted FA after this season. We can tender him at the high tender (I think it was around $2.5M for '08) and if he signs elsewhere we have right of first refusal and if we don't match we get a 1st and a 3rd. If he plays under the tender we can still franchise him for 2011.

It's even better than that Jimmy. Lack of a CBA means Leon will be a restricted FA after this season. We can tender him at the high tender (I think it was around $2.5M for '08) and if he signs elsewhere we have right of first refusal and if we don't match we get a 1st and a 3rd. If he plays under the tender we can still franchise him for 2011.

Leon would be a restricted FA after this season anyway. This is only his fourth year. You need 5 years under the current CBA to be unrestricted.

Yup he has absolutely no leverage, the jets have him over a barrel, especially with the CBA situation.

It's kind of ironic, since there are not many that deserve to be paid more in comparison to Leon.

thanks Dom...then that's what we should do...use the 6 million on a WR

Leon would be a restricted FA after this season anyway. This is only his fourth year. You need 5 years under the current CBA to be unrestricted.

The "current" CBA is kind of a farce. These rules (including the 6 years to be unrestricted) were put in place to encourage them to come to another agreement. They are specifically a result of them opting out of the CBA. I don't think the owners or NFLPA wants the uncapped year, but neither wants to blink. As far as I remember it's been 4 years and over is a UFA. Now it's six. I think there are other wacky restrictions too, extra tags and restrictions on the final 8 teams being able to sign FAs.

Don't forget the end of the draft.

What he said.

Absent a new CBA, Leon is ours for $500K in '09 and (roughly) $2.5M in both 2010 and 2011. That is, unless someone forks over a 1st and a 3rd for Leon after this season is over, which seems pretty unlikely as things stand today.

The Jets don't have ALL the leverage; they just have most of it. Assuming a new CBA is drawn up, Leon would probably be a UFA after this season. But as things stand now, Leon has no leverage to speak of other than threats to go elsewhere IF there is a new CBA in place in March.

Absent a new CBA, Leon is ours for $500K in '09 and (roughly) $2.5M in both 2010 and 2011. That is, unless someone forks over a 1st and a 3rd for Leon after this season is over, which seems pretty unlikely as things stand today.

The Jets don't have ALL the leverage; they just have most of it. Assuming a new CBA is drawn up, Leon would probably be a UFA after this season. But as things stand now, Leon has no leverage to speak of other than threats to go elsewhere IF there is a new CBA in place in March.

I'd love to know where they are in these negotiations - and who's at fault for them being unable to reach a compromise. Both public figures are unreasonable given the circumstances, but a middle ground should be found.

The "current" CBA is kind of a farce. These rules (including the 6 years to be unrestricted) were put in place to encourage them to come to another agreement. They are specifically a result of them opting out of the CBA. I don't think the owners or NFLPA wants the uncapped year, but neither wants to blink. As far as I remember it's been 4 years and over is a UFA. Now it's six. I think there are other wacky restrictions too, extra tags and restrictions on the final 8 teams being able to sign FAs.

Don't forget the end of the draft.

Here's an interesting point about all this: no one seems to be panicking for some reason. There seems to be no sense of urgency to get a new deal done.

But, if there is no CBA, doesn't that mean there won't be a draft next year? The league has made announcements concerning the date of the draft and making it a three-day event starting in prime time on a Thursday but none of this happens with no CBA, unless there's some contingency plan for the draft in an uncapped year too.

Is it crazy to think they are close to reaching a deal and that's the reason for the lack of panic? I can't imagine the owners wanting an uncapped year, especially in the current economic climate.

Here's an interesting point about all this: no one seems to be panicking for some reason. There seems to be no sense of urgency to get a new deal done.

But, if there is no CBA, doesn't that mean there won't be a draft next year? The league has made announcements concerning the date of the draft and making it a three-day event starting in prime time on a Thursday but none of this happens with no CBA, unless there's some contingency plan for the draft in an uncapped year too.

Is it crazy to think they are close to reaching a deal and that's the reason for the lack of panic? I can't imagine the owners wanting an uncapped year, especially in the current economic climate.

It's hard to have a sense of urgency about a foregone conclusion. Short version is there will be a deal, the players will get screwed, and it's Upshaw's fault. Draft happens unless there is a lockout which wouldn't happen until 2011.

It's hard to have a sense of urgency about a foregone conclusion. Short version is there will be a deal, the players will get screwed, and it's Upshaw's fault. Draft happens unless there is a lockout which wouldn't happen until 2011.

Hard to be Upshaw's fault since he died a year ago.

Hard to be Upshaw's fault since he died a year ago.

Right. Upshaw bending over for Goodell is what gave the owners the chips they're going to use to force concessions on revenue, but now he's dead so it's not his fault. Okay.

Archived