JetNation At Camp : Monday 08/03

Maxman

There's a blurb in there that says that Owens was cut and Kevin Brock the TE from Rutgers brought in. I liked Brock as prospect (mostly cause I went to RU). He was supposed to be a late 2nd day/priority FA type, but apparently he was just laying around. Strange they dumped Owens. He's the only one with any experience and reports were Bullock (the basketball player) and Simmons were dropping tons of balls.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Sanchez losses the first 3 games of the season, I guarantee you will start to hear put in Clemens.

I dont care about the situation, we can all take about development yadayada all we want, but when its all said and done and a rookie HC the 6th overa all pick is 0-3 out the gates (with all this talent) you best believe that people are going to be screaming for something and generally its the back-up QB.

I just don't agree.

I think Jet fans are generally pretty bright. We're tough on our guys, but pretty fair, too. I think the fans know that there really isn't "all this talent," when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, and that rookie QB's need time to develop. We live in the same city as Eli Manning, and he went from suck to Super Bowl Champ.

Meanwhile, Clemens' time has passed. If we had an incumbent starter or brought in a seasoned vet to hold the fort, I could see the idea of sitting Sanchez for a few weeks. But we don't have that here. We have a QB in Clemens who's failed to step up to the challenge consistently. And it's obvious that the franchise feels the same way, otherwise we wouldn't have Mark Sanchez on the roster - we'd have a shiny new WR for Kellen to play with, instead. Clemens is playing for his career this summer, and in his fourth year in the system is having trouble holding off a rookie who started all of 16 games in college. It's just another example of him coming up small.

The sooner Sanchez gets on the field, the sooner he's going to get better. I think the fans get that. I think they'd like their brash coach opening the season with his top pick on the field. And I think Ryan would very vocally have the kid's back in every post-game presser as he gets his NFL legs under him. With a good OL in front of him, a decent backfield behind him, and maybe a very good defense putting him in better position to score - you couldn't really ask for a much better situation as a rookie starter.

All that would work in Clemens' favor, too, but unfortunately he just threw another pick.

Its much easier following training camp on Twitter then it is here. The JN tweets are great, and you can get a bunch more from the official Jets twitter page as well HolyJoeNamath. Feely's been great too so far.

By the way, Twitter's given me a new found respect for Jay Feely. Smart guy, and he keeps you updated on a lot of good stuff you wouldn't get anywhere else.

I just don't agree.

I think Jet fans are generally pretty bright. We're tough on our guys, but pretty fair, too. I think the fans know that there really isn't "all this talent," when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, and that rookie QB's need time to develop. We live in the same city as Eli Manning, and he went from suck to Super Bowl Champ.

Are you serious? Dont compare use to Giants fans. Its a totally different class. Look at the way we treated our failures. Hell, look at what Vernon Gholston is getting daily. Do I even need to bring up that Qb of the Dolphags? Seriously brother, are fan base is illogical. You read the board daily, nuff said.

And Eli Manning had Kurt Warner to fall flat on his face in NY before he got the nod.

Meanwhile, Clemens' time has passed. If we had an incumbent starter or brought in a seasoned vet to hold the fort, I could see the idea of sitting Sanchez for a few weeks. But we don't have that here. We have a QB in Clemens who's failed to step up to the challenge consistently. And it's obvious that the franchise feels the same way, otherwise we wouldn't have Mark Sanchez on the roster - we'd have a shiny new WR for Kellen to play with, instead. Clemens is playing for his career this summer, and in his fourth year in the system is having trouble holding off a rookie who started all of 16 games in college. It's just another example of him coming up small. .

How has Clemens time passed? It day 2 in TC and we dont know what he can be come game time with the OL and running game we have now.

Kellen is throwing picks but from all accounts a couple were from serious pressure that he's not use to seeing. Its early, that can change. He has also been reported to have some really good throws as well.

Bottom line, both Qb's are going to struggle with nobody that can get open.

The sooner Sanchez gets on the field, the sooner he's going to get better. I think the fans get that. I think they'd like their brash coach opening the season with his top pick on the field. And I think Ryan would very vocally have the kid's back in every post-game presser as he gets his NFL legs under him. With a good OL in front of him, a decent backfield behind him, and maybe a very good defense putting him in better position to score - you couldn't really ask for a much better situation as a rookie starter.

All that would work in Clemens' favor, too, but unfortunately he just threw another pick.

This may be true. But unfortunately, you are giving this fan base way too much credit. Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez will be crucified if they start the season 0-3. If Rex starts the season like that with Kellen, Sanchez comes in with no pressure and Rex will get a pass.

Also, I have a feeling its not going to be our Qb's fault we lose games. Our running game and defense will keep us in games, but when its all said and done, you need someone in the passing attack to make big plays and its going to be too easy to zero in on Cotch and Keller...thats when we will fall short no matter who throwing the ball.

Are you serious? Dont compare use to Giants fans. Its a totally different class. Look at the way we treated our failures. Hell, look at what Vernon Gholston is getting daily. Do I even need to bring up that Qb of the Dolphags? Seriously brother, are fan base is illogical. You read the board daily, nuff said.

And Eli Manning had Kurt Warner to fall flat on his face in NY before he got the nod.

Like I said, I could get on board with having Mark sit a lot easier if we had a Kurt Warner on this team - but we don't.

And what I mean about Eli is that he started slow, had the support of a good defense, and eventually won a Super Bowl. I'm still not an Eli fan, but I saw up close what he could do.

Vernon Gholston deserves what he gets.

How has Clemens time passed? It day 2 in TC and we dont know what he can be come game time with the OL and running game we have now.

Kellen is throwing picks but from all accounts a couple were from serious pressure that he's not use to seeing. Its early, that can change. He has also been reported to have some really good throws as well.

Bottom line, both Qb's are going to struggle with nobody that can get open.

The guy's wearing wearing a bright red jersey that says, "if you hit me, you will be punished." Facing pressure in that situation is no excuse for throwing picks. This is when a QB should be standing in there and making the smart throw, knowing he's not going to get hit.

But Clemens time passed before this camp ever opened. Last year he was given a shot at the starting job that he couldn't wrestle from Chad Pennington - despite how hard all his coaches were pulling for him. The team decided to blow their load on Favre instead. This year, new coach opts to not even bother looking at Clemens (despite the fact that he arguably had his best game of his career against Ryan's dee), instead trading up for the inexperienced rookie. All the while talking about his success with Joe Flacco, and how he's unafraid to start a rookie at QB.

This may be true. But unfortunately, you are giving this fan base way too much credit. Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez will be crucified if they start the season 0-3. If Rex starts the season like that with Kellen, Sanchez comes in with no pressure and Rex will get a pass.

Also, I have a feeling its not going to be our Qb's fault we lose games. Our running game and defense will keep us in games, but when its all said and done, you need someone in the passing attack to make big plays and its going to be too easy to zero in on Cotch and Keller...thats when we will fall short no matter who throwing the ball.

I have faith in Rex to take all the heat, and deflect as much as possible away from his rookie QB. I also have faith in the fact that Sanchez is here because they believe him to be mentally tough enough to handle the challenge.

I definitely agree with you that either QB is going to have a tough time in this offense. Being asked to suddenly turn it on -with next to nothing at WR- after three quarters of handing it off will not be easy for the guy who gets on the field. That's just another reason to go with the guy who you think gives you the best chance to win now and down the road. The mere aquisition of Sanchez tells you all you ned to know about how the Jets feel about Clemens' long term prospects. Short term, if it's close, I think they'll put Sanchez on the field and let him take his lumps en route to meeting that potential of his ASAP.

We start this season 0-3 and I'll be out for blood.

If we don't beat Houston, get ready to be out for blood.

New England is going to ass rape us and if we are 0-2, that is just going to start a spiral of ****.

People need to get over this irrational fear of Sanchez sucking. Yes it would be bad to go 0-3 and have people chanting for Clemens, but we have to put the best man for the job in the drivers seat and live with the consequences. It looks like Sanchez and that is the best we can hope for. I'm sure we will have another WR by the opener, we've done a good job addressing weaknesses the last couple of years.

And if we're going to succeed under Sanchez he's got to be built of thicker skin. No one is talking about our great Oline and three headed running attack. Couple that with a Defense that is going to keep games close and create turnover opportunities for the offense and we will can compete in every game. Talk about taking the pressure off.

Worst case-scenario is we suck, we draft high next season, Sanchez will have substantially more experience, and we'll know what we've got by the end of the season. If we rock then we rock. At least we would go into next season with less question-marks for once. It's a simple case of win-win. If he wins the job Sanchez gets the start.

This is a good post.

Its much easier following training camp on Twitter then it is here. The JN tweets are great, and you can get a bunch more from the official Jets twitter page as well HolyJoeNamath. Feely's been great too so far.

By the way, Twitter's given me a new found respect for Jay Feely. Smart guy, and he keeps you updated on a lot of good stuff you wouldn't get anywhere else.

Feely is fun to watch on the field, too. He's always goofing around, fielding punts, messing around with teammates--he's not one of those kickers that hides in the corner and just waits to kick the rock. The man is a football player. Gotta love it.

Like I said, I could get on board with having Mark sit a lot easier if we had a Kurt Warner on this team - but we don't.

And what I mean about Eli is that he started slow, had the support of a good defense, and eventually won a Super Bowl. I'm still not an Eli fan, but I saw up close what he could do.

The guy's wearing wearing a bright red jersey that says, "if you hit me, you will be punished." Facing pressure in that situation is no excuse for throwing picks. This is when a QB should be standing in there and making the smart throw, knowing he's not going to get hit.

But Clemens time passed before this camp ever opened. Last year he was given a shot at the starting job that he couldn't wrestle from Chad Pennington - despite how hard all his coaches were pulling for him. The team decided to blow their load on Favre instead. This year, new coach opts to not even bother looking at Clemens (despite the fact that he arguably had his best game of his career against Ryan's dee), instead trading up for the inexperienced rookie. All the while talking about his success with Joe Flacco, and how he's unafraid to start a rookie at QB.

I have faith in Rex to take all the heat, and deflect as much as possible away from his rookie QB. I also have faith in the fact that Sanchez is here because they believe him to be mentally tough enough to handle the challenge.

I definitely agree with you that either QB is going to have a tough time in this offense. Being asked to suddenly turn it on -with next to nothing at WR- after three quarters of handing it off will not be easy for the guy who gets on the field. That's just another reason to go with the guy who you think gives you the best chance to win now and down the road. The mere aquisition of Sanchez tells you all you ned to know about how the Jets feel about Clemens' long term prospects. Short term, if it's close, I think they'll put Sanchez on the field and let him take his lumps en route to meeting that potential of his ASAP.

If I could chime in here, Clemens is clearly done as the future of this team, but I think he's the QB to at least start the season. While the WR's haven't been getting open, and the offense has struggled mightily because of it, Clemens is still clearly heads and shoulders above Sanchez as far as running the team, imo. Sanchez has shown me some things, albeit in a small sample, that makes me think he might not be able to deal with immediate failure and the ensuing humiliation. After he makes a mistake here, his game visibly changes and he becomes overly conservative with the ball. If he goes out Week One against the Texans and Mario Williams crushes him four times while Sanchez is waiting for Brad Smith to come open, I really think it can have long-lasting effects on the kid. IMO, Sanchez would benefit a TON by getting to sit back and watch Clemens suck for 5-6 weeks before he gets thrown to the wolves. Lower the bar for Sanchez by starting Clemens, and away we go.

Clemens needs to stop throwing at Revis.

He's Killing himself.

Right! going up against the one of the youngest & best, if not THE BEST, corner in the league EVERYDAY will only make Clemens and/or Sanchez better. Watch this be some freak anomaly considering Jets fans' TC INT count with Clemens; he'll end up having two all season if he's the starter:rim:

I hear yeah. But if you dont recall, Eli was getting blasted from all angles. Giants fans hated him, HATED him! I recall some people actually saying to give the Pilsbury Throw Boy a shot. And that wouldnt have stopped it they didnt just catch fire as a team toward the end of the season in 07. Also, Eli only started 7 games that season and then the next year got a gift with Plexi. Thats what I want to see.

Yes, but that could more of the reason why he just winged it out there...who knows if he just would have taken the sack in the real game to protect from an INT.

We dont know what would have happend between Chad and him last year becaue the Diva came in before it was all said and done.

Joe Flacco didnt start out the gates. It took a couple of failures first.

You can have all the faith in the world that Rex can deflect the heat, but its not that easy and why would you want your rookie HC to deal with that? Give the guy a break in his first year here in NY.

By no means am I saying start Kellen he could still be the future, obviously that title belongs to Sanchez. My point is, Kellen knows the offense, the offense knows him and our passing attack is going to struggle, why put that on Sanchez when you have the option not to? There is no reason to subject Sanchez to immediate failure. It could kill the kid. This isnt like Atlanta, we are not desparate like that...hell even the Ravens didnt send Flacco out there day 1.

If I could chime in here, Clemens is clearly done as the future of this team, but I think he's the QB to at least start the season. While the WR's haven't been getting open, and the offense has struggled mightily because of it, Clemens is still clearly heads and shoulders above Sanchez as far as running the team, imo. Sanchez has shown me some things, albeit in a small sample, that makes me think he might not be able to deal with immediate failure and the ensuing humiliation. After he makes a mistake here, his game visibly changes and he becomes overly conservative with the ball. If he goes out Week One against the Texans and Mario Williams crushes him four times while Sanchez is waiting for Brad Smith to come open, I really think it can have long-lasting effects on the kid. IMO, Sanchez would benefit a TON by getting to sit back and watch Clemens suck for 5-6 weeks before he gets thrown to the wolves. Lower the bar for Sanchez by starting Clemens, and away we go.

You can chime in, you have seen them both and this post is exactly why I think its an absolute MUST we start Kellen day 1.

I hear yeah. But if you dont recall, Eli was getting blasted from all angles. Giants fans hated him, HATED him! I recall some people actually saying to give the Pilsbury Throw Boy a shot. And that wouldnt have stopped it they didnt just catch fire as a team toward the end of the season in 07. Also, Eli only started 7 games that season and then the next year got a gift with Plexi. Thats what I want to see.

Yes, but that could more of the reason why he just winged it out there...who knows if he just would have taken the sack in the real game to protect from an INT.

We dont know what would have happend between Chad and him last year becaue the Diva came in before it was all said and done.

Joe Flacco didnt start out the gates. It took a couple of failures first.

You can have all the faith in the world that Rex can deflect the heat, but its not that easy and why would you want your rookie HC to deal with that? Give the guy a break in his first year here in NY.

By no means am I saying start Kellen he could still be the future, obviously that title belongs to Sanchez. My point is, Kellen knows the offense, the offense knows him and our passing attack is going to struggle, why put that on Sanchez when you have the option not to? There is no reason to subject Sanchez to immediate failure. It could kill the kid. This isnt like Atlanta, we are not desparate like that...hell even the Ravens didnt send Flacco out there day 1.

You can chime in, you have seen them both and this post is exactly why I think its an absolute MUST we start Kellen day 1.

Pilsbury Throw Boy? Jamarcus Russell was never on the Giants. :rim:

Giant fans hated Eli because they gave up a ton to get him and he had one of the worst seasons in history and went 1-6. Warner had a winning record and was way better than Eli that year. Eli has never had a QB rating as good as Warner's in '04.

Another reason why Eli is a bad example is because he was the first overall pick who had a stellar College Career. A Heisman candidate, played till his Senior year and won many awards. Didnt he win the Maxwell award?

Sanchez is inexperienced and has never had to put a team on his back to win a game. NEVER! His team dominated everyone. The one time Sanchez was asked to do this, he lost.

Eli had three times the experience coming out of college. Sanchez needs to sit.

Giant fans hated Eli because they gave up a ton to get him and he had one of the worst seasons in history and went 1-6. Warner had a winning record and was way better than Eli that year. Eli has never had a QB rating as good as Warner's in '04.

And most GIant fans are scared ****less to see what Eli Manning is going to do without Plaxico Burress there. Without Burress he has looked like Brooks Bollinger.

Another reason why Eli is a bad example is because he was the first overall pick who had a stellar College Career. A Heisman candidate, played till his Senior year and won many awards. Didnt he win the Maxwell award?

Sanchez is inexperienced and has never had to put a team on his back to win a game. NEVER! His team dominated everyone. The one time Sanchez was asked to do this, he lost.

Eli had three times the experience coming out of college. Sanchez needs to sit.

I'll never get this argument. Sanchez is inexperienced so the best thing for him to gain that experience is to not play and watch a guy who's played even less football than him the last three years play. :confused0006:

If Sanchez is outplaying Clemens in camp and the preseason he should start. You start the guy who gives you the best chance to win. If that guy is Sanchez, you start Sanchez. If that guy is Clemens, you start Clemens.

It really is that simple.

Yes. The simple explanation may be that some of these guys are not very good. Young QBs with limited experience have done well in the past. In particular quite recently Brady, Big Ben, Ryan and Flacco. The Jets WRs may be worse than those teams, but if the D and line is strong I don't think the QB will be in such a bad position. Give Sanchez a chance to show if he is ready. Just because he doesn't look ready now doesn't mean that he won't be ready by September 13th. If he isn't then he sits.

Yes. The simple explanation may be that some of these guys are not very good. Young QBs with limited experience have done well in the past. In particular quite recently Brady, Big Ben, Ryan and Flacco. The Jets WRs may be worse than those teams, but if the D and line is strong I don't think the QB will be in such a bad position. Give Sanchez a chance to show if he is ready. Just because he doesn't look ready now doesn't mean that he won't be ready by September 13th. If he isn't then he sits.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Brady start for 2 years at UM?

Brady only had 8 college starts.

Thanks.

Also, Mr. Cassel, who hasn't started a game since HS stepped right in and did fine. That "lack of experience, put him on the bench" argument is weak. Play the kid if he is better than Clemens, which I fully expect to happen.

Thanks.

Also, Mr. Cassel, who hasn't started a game since HS stepped right in and did fine. That "lack of experience, put him on the bench" argument is weak. Play the kid if he is better than Clemens, which I fully expect to happen.

I agree, but only IF. If he's not better than Clemens I'd start Clemens. I think I'd make a tie go to the vet and let the kid learn a little more until he's 100% comfortable. That goes against what most are saying which is that Clemens has to clearly outplay Sanchez to start. I'm not too worried about it. I think it'll end up being obvious who should start.

I agree, but only IF. If he's not better than Clemens I'd start Clemens. I think I'd make a tie go to the vet and let the kid learn a little more until he's 100% comfortable. That goes against what most are saying which is that Clemens has to clearly outplay Sanchez to start. I'm not too worried about it. I think it'll end up being obvious who should start.

Yes, you DO start Clemens if he is better. But I disagree on the tie part, I'd give it to Sanchez, just so he can get more of the valuable in game live speed experience. But you're also right about it being obvious. Give Sanchez a month in camp to learn the system, offense, and defense - and it'll be his job to lose by the third preseason game, IMO.

Brady only had 8 college starts.

What? As a Michigan fan I can tell you that you are 110% dead wrong on this.

Tom Brady started started almost every single game in the 1998 & 1999 seasons. He was 20-6 as Michigan's starting Quarterback. Drew Henson played in many of those games, but most of the time it was Brady in there. Henson wouldn't throw more than 10 passes a game, if even 5. Some games he didn't even play and the only reason he was in there at all was because Lloyd Carr thought Henson was the next great QB, but he could never do it on the field.

Edit: The Patriots official website says he was 20-5, but, I found elsewhere on Michigan sites that he was 20-6.

Tom Brady started started almost every single game in the 1998 & 1999 seasons. He was 20-6 as Michigan's starting Quarterback. Drew Henson played in many of those games, but most of the time it was Brady in there. Henson wouldn't throw more than 10 passes a game, if even 5. Some games he didn't even play and the only reason he was in there at all was because Lloyd Carr thought Henson was the next great QB, but he could never do it on the field.

Edit: The Patriots official website says he was 20-5, but, I found elsewhere on Michigan sites that he was 20-6.

That's what I originally thought...Brady really wasn't lacking experience.

How come I've heard the 8 starts thing 1000 times?

Oh, and you're a Michigan fan? No wonder you're so friggin' arrogant!

How come I've heard the 8 starts thing 1000 times?

Oh, and you're a Michigan fan? No wonder you're so friggin' arrogant!

I don't know but you have heard wrong. A lot of people outside of Michigan/Big Ten fans think that Drew Henson was starting all those games but in reality Henson was coming off the bench for 1 or 2 series, not because of Tom struggling but because Lloyd Carr was a complete ****tard.

That's what I originally thought...Brady really wasn't lacking experience.

He was still a first time NFL starter that won constantly from the day he took over. He may have started, but Henson was playing plenty too. It's not like he played 4 quarters all those games either. Flacco played against **** in college. Who did he play? Navy? Delaware State? Roethlisburger wan't a big conference guy. The level of competition those guys played against wasn't exactly Pac 10. Sure Sanchez has limited starts, but it's better than starting in D2.

If that's the case, then chalk it up as another swing & a miss in the never-ending effort to replace Joe Namath. I thought Mark Sanchez' mental toughness was one of the big reasons we traded all the way up to #5 to snag him. If he's easily demoralized, he'll have a short career in NY that only seems long.

All I can say, Tom, is that I hope you're wrong about that.

I tend to agree with that last bit.

But for the fun of speculation, I definitely think if it's close, Sanchez should be the obvious starter. Think about it, that would mean that Sanchez had gotten himself up to the level of a fourth year veteran in the matter of a few weeks. He'd clearly be on a trajectory to blow Kellen away by midseason. Why not see that on the field instead of in practice? Real game experience should only accelerate the process.

Archived