Leon needs the ball

Shadetree

Bash me if you must, but I believe Leon Washington should be the starter.

I like TJ, but Leon's touches and playing time must increase. Our very lives depend on Leon's increased playing time.

There, I said it.

:cheers:

Not going to happen this year. Lets wait till Leon shows us he can handle the rock more than 10-15 times a game. This is Jones last year here so lets ride this pony until it leaves the stable. Hopefully next year Leon could take a more key role and use the bigboy to punish teams in the 4th quarter after chasing Neon all game. Alla C Martin and L Jordan.

Yes, please give Leon the ball so the fans can realize how average he is. Give him 2-3 more touches then last year and I'm fine. The second he starts touching the ball on offense more, is the second everyone including him realized he's a probowl special teamer and not RB.

Yes, please give Leon the ball so the fans can realize how average he is. Give him 2-3 more touches then last year and I'm fine. The second he starts touching the ball on offense more, is the second everyone including him realized he's a probowl special teamer and not RB.

You're right, most average running backs score 3 60 yard touchdowns a year with limited touches.

He started 8 games as a rookie and averaged 4.3 yards a carry behind an iffy OL that no other RB on the team could manage more than 3.3 ypc behind. He managed to do that without breaking any runs longer than 23 yards. He just consistently got it done. No reason to believe he couldn't carry the load if he had to, although 10-15 offensive touches a game would probably be a good balance with his KOR duties.

I always thought Leon should get the ball more...IMO...he compares well to Tiki Barber who started off as third down back/punt returner...but developed into much more than that...TJ is a solid back and Greene may turn into a good ground pounder but Leon is just electric with the ball...give him the dmmm ball.

He started 8 games as a rookie and averaged 4.3 yards a carry behind an iffy OL that no other RB on the team could manage more than 3.3 ypc behind. He managed to do that without breaking any runs longer than 23 yards. He just consistently got it done. No reason to believe he couldn't carry the load if he had to, although 10-15 offensive touches a game would probably be a good balance with his KOR duties.

Your right, your right.

Leon's the best RB in the league.

Clowney's the greatest deep threat in the league

Gholston will mature into a pro bowl linebacker

Lowery was questionable at corner last year but his new tat will lead him to Canton.

What did I miss?

Oh yeah Kerry Rhodes is the worst person alive.

Your right, your right.

Leon's the best RB in the league.

Clowney's the greatest deep threat in the league

Gholston will mature into a pro bowl linebacker

Lowery was questionable at corner last year but his new tat will lead him to Canton.

What did I miss?

Oh yeah Kerry Rhodes is the worst person alive.

Looks like you missed every word you quoted in my post.

Looks like you missed every word you quoted in my post.

Bro, you gave me stats from 5 seasons ago. I could care less what he did then. The second he becomes the premier back is the second he becomes mediocre.

Seriously, if he was as good as everyone here thinks he is he'd be the number 1 RB for this team.

Not to mention the other RB's on the team his rookie year aren't even in the league anymore. And its not cause they're old, its cause they sucked.

Not going to happen. Leon Washington cannot handle the ball 250+ times a season and remain as effective as he is when handling it around 100 times + kickoffs. If he could, I think the organization would've given him the chance to do so by now, with or without Thomas Jones. 100-150 touches would be best, no more, no less. Preferably 150.

There is also a reason the organization moved up to draft Shonn Greene: To replace Thomas Jones in 2010 and beyond. He will be the starter. Leon Washington is great at what he does and that is being a Kick Returner and being a reserve back who handles the ball 5-10 times a game. Give him the ball 20 times a game and he is going to be less effective and has a great chance of being hurt with his frame.

He isn't built quite like Maurice Jones-Drew. Not even close. He doesn't have that kind of power.

Not going to happen. Leon Washington cannot handle the ball 250+ times a season and remain as effective as he is when handling it around 100 times + kickoffs. If he could, I think the organization would've given him the chance to do so by now, with or without Thomas Jones. 100-150 touches would be best, no more, no less. Preferably 150.

There is also a reason the organization moved up to draft Shonn Greene: To replace Thomas Jones in 2010 and beyond. He will be the starter. Leon Washington is great at what he does and that is being a Kick Returner and being a reserve back who handles the ball 5-10 times a game. Give him the ball 20 times a game and he is going to be less effective and has a great chance of being hurt with his frame.

He isn't built quite like Maurice Jones-Drew. Not even close. He doesn't have that kind of power.

Love when people 'get it'.

Leon is a nice change of pace, quick, run him in the 4th quarter when the D is tired type guy. A really great one but I don't think he is a full time starting sole running back. I don't think we need him to be. This isn't taking his pro bowl level returning skills into consideration. I'm just talking about my amateur evaluations of him as a running back.

Bro, you gave me stats from 5 seasons ago. I could care less what he did then. The second he becomes the premier back is the second he becomes mediocre.

Seriously, if he was as good as everyone here thinks he is he'd be the number 1 RB for this team.

Not to mention the other RB's on the team his rookie year aren't even in the league anymore. And its not cause they're old, its cause they sucked.

Three years ago, but whatever buddy. I get that you exaggerate when attempting to make a point.

I can't help it if the coaches opted to cut back on his work. Leon lead the Jets with 4.3 ypc as a rookie, and the Jets in their infinite wisdom opted to trade for Thomas Jones and ride his 3.6 ypc for the entire following season - all while Leon managed 5.0 behind the same line. Behind a good line last year, TJ averages 4.5 ypc and Leon puts up 5.9.

2006 & 2007 were different lines.

Adrien Clarke, a guy who couldn't even make an NFL roster in 2008, was the Left Guard as opposed to the veteran Pete Kendall who made D'Brickashaw Ferguson a better play in 2006 compared to the one he was in 2007. Anthony Clement also wasn't sucking as bad in 2006 as he did in 2007.

Leon had a couple of nice games in 2006 against the Lions and Jaguars. Whooptie freakin' do. His YPC was inflated due to the Lions game (6.5) and the Buffalo game with only 7 carries (7.9)

Doesn't make him capable of carrying the load, and the load is really 300-350, but in today's NFL it is 250-275. He can't do either.

Three years ago, but whatever buddy. I get that you exaggerate when attempting to make a point.

I can't help it if the coaches opted to cut back on his work. Leon lead the Jets with 4.3 ypc as a rookie, and the Jets in their infinite wisdom opted to trade for Thomas Jones and ride his 3.6 ypc for the entire following season - all while Leon managed 5.0 behind the same line. Behind a good line last year, TJ averages 4.5 ypc and Leon puts up 5.9.

I think this is a poor way of judging a running back's effectiveness. Leon is great at what he does. It is just that what he does does not involve carrying the ball 25 times a game. There is no reason to do that and we don't need him to do that. RBBC is the best option either way. No one will argue for Leon getting 3 carries a game. We just think that 20-25 carries a game isn't the right option either. Everyone wants to see him used more, just not to that extent.

You're right, they're just NFL coaches. What do they know? Theres reasons he doesn't touch the ball as much as you'd like too. Its not some conspiracy.

I like TJ, but Leon's touches and playing time must increase. Our very lives depend on Leon's increased playing time.

There, I said it.

You may think that he may need more touches with the football (which he will get in this co-revamped offense) but that doesnt mean that he needs to start. We just have to be more run oriented. Look at the stats Yd's-to-carry wise with the Jets last year. We were pretty much the best running team in the NFL and had two probowl RB's. Its not like Leon needs more touches because TJ isnt doing his job. he led the AFC in rushing didnt he?

I dont want you to think that I disagree totally with you. I just think that once we become the true run oriented team then everyone, including Greene will get the necessary touches which will also free up the WR's for Sanchez/Clemens to do their thing too.

There, I said it.

Bash you?

I know one poster who based on your signature probably wants to give you a big ole bear hug.

Archived