Sirius NFL Radio Live From Jets Camp 3pm 8/4/09

Thanks 124!:cheers:

No problem. 25 minutes away.

I just checked Sirius.com and It will be Tim Ryan & Pat Kirwan.

I'm excited. Sirius gets tons of player interviews. I'd expect Rex to come on as well.

In 30 minutes, Mike Tannenbaum.

Between 4 and 6pm they will have Kerry Rhodes, Darrelle Revis, Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez and some Offensive Lineman (my guess would be Faneca & Mangold and maybe Ferguson).

And between 6 and 7pm Rex Ryan will join.

:cheers:

Not one Jet on PUP, something Ryan & Kirwan havn't seen yet.

So far from Ryan & Kirwan:

- Both think our run defense is going to be great.

- Called the "triangle" of Jenkins, Harris & Scott one of the best, if not the best, in the NFL.

- Talked about how the running game is strong with Jones, Leon & the OLine but also that defenses will not be as scared that we will beat them through the air with Kellen or Mark. With Brett, there was fear.

- We have Cotchery, a #2, Stuckey a slot guy and a bunch of 4's and 5's.

- Believe we need a Boldin, Edwards or Marshall who in a 2 minute drive situation can go to the QB with either 8 or 0 starts and say, I'm going to beat this guy on a slant, I'm your guy.

- Both love Shaun Ellis and said his entire career has been under-rated.

- Said Ellis absolutely owned on the Goalline situations, beat Damien Woody every single time.

- Mentioned that Rex said Leon's touches will dramatically increase from his 76 in 2009.

- Believe both Leon & Jones do not deserve new deals.

- Gholston looks the part but still has not come to fruition.

- Kerry Rhodes has great range, Jim Leonhard just a heck of an athlete, love Revis & Lito at Corner. Expect to play a lot of man, which Rex did in Baltimore, thanks go having Lito in place of Lowery/Coleman/Barrett rotation that was 2008.

- Nickelback job will be Dwight Lowery vs Donald Strickland and Ahmad Carroll. Zero mention of Drew Coleman, he could be on his way out.

- Gholston could not beat the second string lineman today in 1 on 1's.

- Got to the edge of the Guard, had him beat, but could not accelerate, roll his hips through and get the break. He can get in position to where he can get out of his break and get him, but he can't finish. He doesn't have it.

- Doesn't have combination movies, doesn't have more than one plan of attack, struggles if first is stopped. He is not ready to replace Calvin for the first 4 games, according to Kirwan.

- Chuck Smith, Defensive End for ATL & CAR back in the day in camp working with Gholston.

Okay from the Tannenbaum interview:

- Rex has everyone in the building ready to strap up, put some pads on and get on the field. Everyone.

- Kellen Clemens can run the offense because he has been on this team for now his 4th Training Camp. However, loves Mark Sanchez's footwork and the ability to be accurate on the run. Impressed by his accuracy on the run.

- Chansi Stuckey: Pat Kirwan says he has WES WELKER QUICKNESS (Seriously?) and Tannenbaum believes that the trio of Stuckey, David Clowney and Brad Smith can more than enough fill the hole of Laveranues Coles. Likes Stuckey's route running a lot.

- Britt Davis, the UDFA from Northern Illinois, is really impressing and is earning extra reps out there. Has caught everyone's eye and has "really good hands". 6'2 1/2.

- Believes Jerricho is the veteran who can lead the group of young wideouts and has earned the right to be the #1 receiver on the team. (Yeah, we'll see about that if one of those wideouts become available for trade)

- Dustin Keller working hard with Mike Delvin in his pass and run blocking. He is improving and Tannenbaum believes he will be an every down Tight End for us.

- Wants to extend Leon with a long term deal, wants him to be a Jet for a long time, and a deal is being talked about with his agent.

- Wants Kris Jenkins to be as effective in December as he is in September and the Jets supposedly have a plan that will make such a thing happen.

- Ellis the leader of the front line, Mike DeVito earning A LOT of 1st team reps, is competing with Marques Douglas for the starting job opposite of Ellis. The Jets are counting on DeVito a lot this season. Tannenbaum seems to be really high on him.

- Outside Linebackers who will be competing with Vernon Gholston for playing time will be Marques Murrell and Jason Trusnik.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold & Alan Faneca interviewing with Ryan & Kirwan all at once:

- Rex a different mentality than Eric Mangini.

- Putting a lot of work in, team seems to be happy as we're moving through. Nobody with a "broken look on their face" which is important.

- Bill Callahan helped gel the Offensive Line, everyone glad he was retained by the organization. Bigger and better things once in the system longer.

- Callahan has great knowledge AND is able to translate it into practice. One of the smartest people Nick Mangold has ever met.

- D'Brick on Vernon Gholston: He's an athlete, think he will come out and do things necessary to be a good part of this team.

- D'Brick giving Bill Callahan a big part in himself taking another stride in improving himself in 2008.

--- On Quarterback situation ---

D'Brick: Great talent in backfield, QB's do a good job taking charge, Sanchez a great talent. We're all interested in seeing who steps up....

Faneca: It's early in camp, we'll see in time who steps up and takes the reigns. We are worried as a whole as improving...

Mangold: As an OLine we are going to put them in the best position to show what they can do for this team. We should have a good battle the rest of camp.

Confused, did Kirwin and Ryan say that basically our WR suck?

And Ghoslton is a POS. I prayed we didnt draft that sorry POS and now I have to hear about how sorry of a POS he is daily.

**** the Jets.

Both were in agreement on the receivers lacking a true #1. Kirwan was the one who brought it up and talked more at length about it though. Tannenbaum however doesn't feel that way.

BTW JiF, Kirwan believes that Matt Jones is a changed man who he thinks the Jets or another team in need of a starting receiver should take a chance on.

Kris Jenkins now on, really isn't saying much. Questions kind of suck.

- Chuck Smith's name came up again. He is helping everyone in the front seven at pass rushing, not just Vernon.

- Says Nick Mangold prides himself on being a technician.

- Is at 360lbs right now, wants to be a 350.

- Wants Kris Jenkins to be as effective in December as he is in September and the Jets supposedly have a plan that will make such a thing happen.

I believe this plan is "calf injury" in the first day of camp, and the next time he sees the field will be in the Lonestar

BTW JiF, Kirwan believes that Matt Jones is a changed man who he thinks the Jets or another team in need of a starting receiver should take a chance on.

Kris Jenkins now on, really isn't saying much. Questions kind of suck.

- Chuck Smith's name came up again. He is helping everyone in the front seven at pass rushing, not just Vernon.

- Says Nick Mangold prides himself on being a technician.

- Is at 360lbs right now, wants to be a 350.

Thanks for the info my man.

I dont know how anyone could possibly know that Matt Jones is a changed man, but like I have said before, if the Jets want to bring him...fine. Just dont expect anything from him at all.

Interesting.

Add Kirwan & Ryan to the list that has David Bowens and 124 that Kellen Clemens would've started in 2008 if Brett Favre was never aquired. :)

I love how people automatically assume because we got Favre that Kellen was losing to Chad.

We had a chance at a HOF Qb that was coming off a 13-3 season, it had nothing to do with Kellens performance.

Kerry Rhodes' interview just got done and here are some of the things he said:

- Mike Pettine is calling all of the Defensive plays, not Rex Ryan. Ryan is staying out of his way. Pettine is very fiery, fierce and a good leader.

- There is much more freedom in his scheme. We will see him close to the L.O.S. and Deep this season in this scheme.

- Sanchez has a lot to learn, his biggest problem right now would be reading coverage but also noted how confusing the defense the Jets are running is. But, when Mark knows where he wants to go Kerry says that he is as good as any QB he's seen. But for now, Kellen has the mental edge and he believes in his arm strength, even if it isn't right all the time. Kellen's very confident.

- Stuckey in the slot, according to Rhodes once again, is "unstoppable" and says Darrelle Revis couldn't even cover him in the slot. A bigger version of Wes Welker is again echoed by Pat Kirwan/Tim Ryan.

- Jack Simmons is the leading candidate to be the back-up TE to Dustin Keller, according to Rhodes.

Darrelle Revis:

- We are going to be aggressive, get up in your face and be nasty. Loving the press and man coverage, glad to not be playing a lot of Cover 2 like he did under Mangini.

- Thinks we will use David Clowney a lot due to his speed.

- Thinks Britt Davis has been doing great for being a UDFA.

- Wallace Wright seeing more time on the Offensive side of the ball in camp.

- Cornerbacks believe in the Wide Receivers that we have on the roster.

- Chansi Stuckey is a student of the game and has been the only receiver who is giving him fits in press coverage.

Shaun Ellis:

- Rex is taking very good care of both the Offensive & Defensive lines, making sure they get a lot of rest, off of their feet and keeping them fresh for the Regular Season.

- Thinks a combination of Vernon, Thomas and the reserves will fill the role of Pace in the first four games.

Lito Sheppard:

- Young wideouts are hungry, they practice hard and if they can do something against us back there, they can do it against anybody.

Rex Ryan:

- Without question we are going to have an extremely physical group.

- Impressed with Thomas Jones wanting the football today with the Goal Line drills. Was asking Schotty to just give him the ball.

- On Mike Pettine -- Was my right hand guy in Baltimore. He is a star, he is smart, his background is similar to mine. His father was a legendary HS coach in Philadelphia (Okay I don't get how that's even close to B.Ryan, but, okay).

- Rex will call the Defense on Gameday, even though according to Kerry Rhodes Pettine is calling the Defensive Plays so far in Training Camp. But, come the Regular Season, Rex Ryan WILL call the Defensive Plays.

Kerry Rhodes' interview just got done and here are some of the things he said:

- Mike Pettine is calling all of the Defensive plays, not Rex Ryan. Ryan is staying out of his way. Pettine is very fiery, fierce and a good leader.

- There is much more freedom in his scheme. We will see him close to the L.O.S. and Deep this season in this scheme.

- Sanchez has a lot to learn, his biggest problem right now would be reading coverage but also noted how confusing the defense the Jets are running is. But, when Mark knows where he wants to go Kerry says that he is as good as any QB he's seen. But for now, Kellen has the mental edge and he believes in his arm strength, even if it isn't right all the time. Kellen's very confident.

- Stuckey in the slot, according to Rhodes once again, is "unstoppable" and says Darrelle Revis couldn't even cover him in the slot. A bigger version of Wes Welker is again echoed by Pat Kirwan/Tim Ryan.

- Jack Simmons is the leading candidate to be the back-up TE to Dustin Keller, according to Rhodes.

Very glad to hear this!

Rex Ryan Pt II:

- Sanchez will get reps with the first unit. We are just taking it a little bit slower than some fans might want to see. Ryan, like Tannenbaum, mentions "Mark is really, really good throwing on the run".

- Used to hate Alan Faneca while in Baltimore, very glad to have him on his side for once. Tremendous player.

- Called Nick Mangold the best Center in the NFL and said Ferguson could be the best Left Tackle in the NFL. (We'll see about that one Rex, but I agree on Mangold, he is 1 or 2).

- Kris Jenkins is an athletic 350-360lber. Will probably use him in the same mode as Haloti Ngata. Kris is also very smart. Has a wide range of things that he can do. Has a great attitude.

- Says Britt Davis is doing very well and has been the sleeper in camp. Has noticed him ever since he came in for the rookie Minicamp that he's been lighting it up. He is the guy to watch. (Possible 5th or 6th WR or PSquad player it seems to me). If we carry 6 WR's, it could be because of him.

Rex Ryan Part III

- A lot of teams were trying to get Jim Leonhard, he took a huge paycut to come work with Rex again with the Jets (we signed him at 3 years, $6 million for those who didn't know).

- Gholston will play in the starting Goal Line formation even when Calvin comes back Week 5. The most impressive thing Gholston has done all of camp, Reggie Hodges launched a 95yd punt (read about that a few days ago) and when Leon went to pick up the ball on the 4yd line, Vernon was on the 19. (so he has speed on STeams at least).

- Gholston cares, is excited, is working up until 11 at night everyday. Is putting everything that he has into it and thinks he will have an excellent season.

- Loves having two Pro Bowl corners in Darrelle & Lito and things Lowery will be a find Corner as well. Says Revis is as good as he's been around and he's been around Chris McAlister and Aenas Williams. Says Revis can be the best in the league and truly believes that he is.

Okay guys I think there are 2 interviews left and those two will be...

Mark Sanchez & Kellen Clemens.

Hopefully I'm around to catch them. If I am, I'll report on it like I have everyone else. Hope everyone is enjoying this. I know I am! 4 straight hours of Jets talk is great!

Mike Pettine

- The Jenkins, Harris & Scott "triangle" are a special group and as a group between just Scott & Harris they are one of the top tandems in the league.

- Don't need to force Vernon, coaching him as hard as everyone else. Has a lot of talent. Want to find what he does well and have him keep doing that. The one thing he can do is rush the Quarterback, very strong and is a bull rusher. When he learns other things we will expand his role from there. You can tell he wants it by the questions he asks. However, it is going to take some time.

- On what makes Rex such a terrific football guy --- The knowledge and the ability to take the knowledge and put it into terms that the players understand. And it is all wrapped up into a personality that is infectous. One of those guys in the room that you are drawn to. Players in Baltimore played hurt for Rex.

Kellen Clemens

- On if his heart & in his head is it his job to lose? --- As soon as Brett retired I made it a point to put it in my head that I am the starter and I believe I give this team a great chance to win. It is my expectations to be under center when we go down to Houston on September 13th but it is in the coaches hands.

- We put in 3 or 4 runs a day, 3 or 4 protections a day, all together we are putting in 75 instilations a day all together when it comes down to the running game, passing game, protections, etc.

- This is the only Defense I've ever gone against that can rush the passer with 7 guys and then have 8 guys back there defending the pass. (A joke, but you know you understand the point). Our defense is going to make people pay, I'm glad to not have to go up against them in the Regular Season.

- Two major things I learned from Favre: -- He played the game with youth, through it all he had fun and played the game for what it is and to be honest in my first three years in the league I kind of lost sight of it and my passion kind of tempered off a bit. Being with Brett brought that all back. Also, I've never seen a guy whose watched more film that Brett. Now, he was different from Chad, Chad sat there with notes, but Brett has seen everything 100 times but he'd see things on Tuesday night and remember it on Sunday. Half the times I knew what he was talking about, half the time I didn't. Sure enough, it was exactly what we've seen on tape when I went back to look at it. I take a little bit from both Brett and Chad.

- Jerricho Cotchery is a stud and is dependable. Not a big guy and that is the reason he doesn't get the respect that he deserves. Chansi Stuckey is a guy that has flown below the radar because Coles has been here the last few years. (Again, like people before him, Clemens mentions Britt Davis as a guy who is making big plays in Training Camp). Also we have Dustin Keller and Leon Washington coming out of the backfield. We may not have Randy Moss or Braylon Edwards but we look foward to making plays.

Final interview unless someone comes on in the next 10 minutes:

Mark Sanchez

- Game is a whole lot faster in the NFL as opposed to College.

- It's difficult going up against this defense. You cannot speed through your progression because your receivers won't be ready for you. You have to kind of slow it down and it can be difficult.

- The clock in his head is really moving fast. The check down game is also very difficult. It almost feels like you are losing until you see that in the backfield you have Leon Washington and Thomas Jones, two Pro Bowlers.

- He is very intense the coaching staff is trying to hold him back and he is glad about that because he'd rather be held back then to be told he has to match the intensity of other players on the team.

- The best thing a Quaterback can do is have a short memory and go back and get a positive play out of the situation.

- On working mainly with the 2's -- The thing is, you're a rookie, you have to earn your reps no matter where you're picked. Nothing is going to be given to you in this league. It's a respect thing to the guys who've been here a while like Kellen. I have to work hard and earn my reps and when I do it's all about making the most of it.

- Once again, a Britt Davis (UDFA from North Illinois) supporter -- He's one of those guys who studies hard, he works at his craft, he has great hands, he is in there studying with Jerricho, Chansi and everyone else. He's catching everything and he's blocking well. He's willing to sell out. Hopefully they keep him around.

- I'm my own toughest critic, but Coach Schottenheimer is tough on me and he pushes you and will throw everything at you but at the end of the day he will love you up because he wants you to be the best.

remember a few days ago-(last week maybe?) when Rex was saying there was sleeper WR in the pack but he wasn't going to say who it is? I'm starting to think it could be this Britt Davis guy-what number does he wear? I'll look for some YouTube clips

Archived